#31 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 06:43 PM

Sprayed penetrating oil on all of the nuts and bolts tonight, so come first thing tomorrow morning, I'm going to start, or at least try my best, in removing the loader from the tractor, and hopefully replace all four wheels with better ones, so that I can roll the tractor around a little easier. Would like to see just how much is going to be involved in getting the motor to turn over or possibly run this weekend as well. 

• MH81, Trav1s and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#32 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 08:12 AM

Wow Troy! Great find!! Wish you the best in getting it back to running condition. I agree on changing the frame out. That is what I would do.

Take care my friend
Mark
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#33 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 05:36 PM

Lots of good progress today! Got the loader off, and to my surprise, the only bolts that gave me trouble were the ones holding the left and right foot rests onto the frame. Everything else came apart as if it were just put together. Couldn't believe it! All of the hydraulic hose fittings came apart without much effort at all, and all of the pins that hold the cylinders, frame, and the bucket together, came apart without any type of heat or beating. I'm really happy with how it all came apart. 

After we had the loader removed, I decided to remove the hood, hood supports, and drive belt guard so that I could get the motor removed. However, after the drive belt guard was removed, I found that the variable speed pulley was rusted, and wasn't turning. So I cut the belt between the motor drive pulley and the variable speed pulley, and found that the motor turns over! Even appears to have good compression! WOW am I surprised! 

So now with things taken apart, and after looking the tractor over once again, I determined that I'll need to swap out the frame and dash pedestal, swap out another transmission along with a full set of wheels, and swap out the variable speed set up, and then this tractor should be able to resume the position of being a loader tractor once again!  

DSCN5141.JPG DSCN5142.JPG

DSCN5143.JPG DSCN5144.JPG

DSCN5145.JPG DSCN5146.JPG

DSCN5147.JPG DSCN5148.JPG

DSCN5149.JPG DSCN5150.JPG

DSCN5151.JPG DSCN5152.JPG

DSCN5153.JPG DSCN5154.JPG

DSCN5155.JPG DSCN5156.JPG

DSCN5158.JPG DSCN5159.JPG

DSCN5160.JPG DSCN5162.JPG

DSCN5164.JPG DSCN5165.JPG

DSCN5170.JPG DSCN5171.JPG

DSCN5172.JPG DSCN5186.JPG

I even found places were the original color was still evident, so now there won't be any guessing as to what color to paint it!

DSCN5183.JPG DSCN5184.JPG

DSCN5185.JPG

Edited by johndeereelfman, March 26, 2016 - 05:46 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 07:05 AM

Glad it's coming apart fairly easy for you, Troy! There is a bit of rust on the frame!

#35 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 08:28 AM

Man, that's a bunch of good news
Bolts loosening, engine turning, Troy happy.
:thumbs:

#36 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 10:13 AM

Yes, very happy indeed Alan! I'm hoping to remove the hoses from the controller and pump sometime this week, and maybe get over to Don's place and use his glass beader to clean things up a bit. I'd like to get the hard hydraulic lines and lift cylinders removed from the lifting frame as well this week, so that I can drop them off at the sand blasters. I wasn't going to start this project until this summer, but after seeing how easy things went yesterday, I'm getting excited about getting it all done and put back together. I think for now, I'll just work on getting the loader stripped and in primer, at least until I find more time to do a complete restoration of "Crusty". I seriously need to sit down and start prioritizing all of my projects, as I'm starting to get overwhelmed. 

Was hoping to finish Ryan's Wheel Horse RJ, and Caleb's John Deere 70 this year, as both Son's have waited long enough for their tractors to be restored. Caleb wants his tractor done, however he doesn't show any effort or interest in finishing it, so I guess I'll take on the project and complete it for him. I also have a '65 110 of Dad's that has been sitting here all stripped and waiting for the first coat of primer for the past four years, so I need to get started on that one as well. Oh, and I have a '66 110 of my buddies that was dropped off unexpectedly last summer, that I'll also have to find time to fit in too. So starting the restoration of "Crusty" isn't or shouldn't be, part of my immediate plans this year. 

Should be a very adventurous and exciting 2016 year for me. Just hope I can find the time needed to get everything all done. I guess next year will be my year to do projects for myself instead of for others. Funny though, I think I said those exact same words this time last year. 

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#37 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 12:49 PM

This is going to be a GREAT tractor loader when you get it done. I will be watching for updates!! :thumbs:

• johndeereelfman and Trav1s have said thanks

#38 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 03:45 PM

I'll be lurking about also!

#39 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 04:53 PM

johndeereelfman:

Looking forward to your further posts on the loader/tractor restoration. As I've said before, I would really like to have a loader, even though I really don't have a use for one.

Harlan

#40 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 06:33 PM

I know just what you're saying Harlan. These loaders never interested me, and I couldn't see myself ever buying one, however, when the price is right, it's too hard to walk away from a good deal. I'm still not convinced that I want it, and I know that I don't need it, however now that it's part of the collection, I don't see me ever letting it go! 

• Texas Deere and Horse, Trav1s and hdg4400 have said thanks

#41 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 08:55 PM

Oh I love it. I'd love a little loader! I'm excited to see what you do with it. If you're not convinced, I'll take it lol

#42 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 05:58 PM

I got a few hours this afternoon to do some more wrenching, so I was able to get the loader completely apart. All hard lines removed, and the control area removed from the main frame. I got the lifting cylinders removed from the lifting frame as well. 

DSCN5193.JPG DSCN5194.JPG

Still haven't found a code number yet for the metallic gold, however I did get the pictures taken of the decals, so I should now be able to get them reproduced. I also need to get all of the hydraulic hoses as well as the dump cylinder dropped off at the local hydraulic repair shop, so that I can get an idea as to how much that will cost me. I'm having a little trouble getting the drive pulley removed from the pump housing, so I need to soak it a few days to see if it will eventually loosen up. Other than that, the lifting frame, main frame, and support frame are all ready to be dropped off at the local sandblaster. 

If anybody out there would happen to know the paint code for the Bolen's 600 gold, I'd appreciate the help if you could forward it to me.

• sacsr said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 110, johnson loader, round fender, attachment