#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 10:22 AM

So yesterday I went and picked up my latest addition to the collection. It's a 1966 110 with a Model 10 Johnson Loader. They were bought new together back in 1966, however, for the past 20+ years, they were stored outside behind a house under a tarp. The house was recently ordered to be torn down and all of the belongings and contents were to be scrapped or thrown away. The tractor was saved by a neighbor who was going to restore the piece, but instead decided to sell it. So now I'm the new owner.

The tractor is rough and really rusted, almost to the point that I'd be concerned of the frame being able to support the weight of the loader if you lift any weight overhead with the bucket full. All four tires are shot, although they did hold air long enough for us to get the tractor loaded. The back rims are rusted through and will need to be replaced, the motor turns over by hand but due to a rusted exhaust valve, will only turn until it hits the cam lobe. The manual lift lever is rusted, but I believe it will free up with a few days of soaking in penetrating oil, and I believe the transmission shift lever is broken as I can't find any gear while trying to shift. The good things about the tractor is, the motor can be made to run again, the narrow front rims are still good, the transmission shifter can be fixed easily enough, the gas tank looks like new inside, and the variable speed seems to be alright. I feel as though this tractor can be restored back to new again, although it more than likely won't be used with this loader.

The loader is complete, right down to the free spinning pump and original drive belt. The lift cylinders seem to be good, although I'll more than likely replace all seals and packing on them before putting the loader back in action. The control levers are good and operational, and the resivour looks clean from what I can tell. The dump cylinder however, is rusted and pitted beyond repair, so I'm sure I'll have to have a new cylinder machined in order to make it work. Most of the hoses look decent, although there are some cracks showing so they will end up getting replaced with new ones. Still trying to decide if the bucket is original or not. Kenny (Littledeere) sent me some literature on these loaders, and from all of the ones shown on the pamphlets, none of the buckets look like the one on this tractor. If anybody out there can confirm if this is correct or not, I'd appreciate the help.

110 with loader 5.jpg JD 110 with loader 2.jpg

JD 110 with loader 3.jpg JD 110 with loader 4.jpg

JD 110 with loader.jpg

Should be quite the challenge when I get into it this summer. Wish me luck! 

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Gtractor and 17 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 10:30 AM

Nice Find!

Thats an original "Midget" model 10! , they were also used on the early Bolens and are quite hard to find!

Good luck and hope you get the parts moving freely

• johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 10:35 AM

WOW that's crusty !!!!  Lots of work ahead of you there but it should be really cool when you get it done.

Pete

#4 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

This looks like a real challenge but will also be a great machine to have working. I love the loader!

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Not sure if they used the same buckets but here's what they offered for bolens

Attached Thumbnails

• 20ji9ar.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#6 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 10:41 AM

Glad you manage to save it; look forward to seeing it up and running. The FEL is an added bonus.
  • johndeereelfman, Trav1s, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 11:01 AM

That looks like heavy bucket for that small tractor. That Really the way the trip bucket should be??  Almost seems to me maybe someone added side metal on to the orig bucket and that mechanical tip linkage looks kinda home-built or changed??  I have no idea of orig stuff, so maybe shouldn't be saying anything. Think if mine, would have to change that bucket system, just because I don't like looks of it. Adds a lot of weight out there. I DO like the controls being lower and easier to reach there than many brands.  Most are up on top of one of towers or close and more of reach. Can't see in pix, but is the pump and controls all in one box there? Look real close at least.  Hope you have a blaster cabinet, lots of rust to clean up there, should be easy with a cabinet tho.

• MH81, johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 11:06 AM

Interesting Brian. Your pamphlet shows almost the same poses as the John Deere pamphlet that Kenny sent me. This bucket resembles the 30" bucket shown on both your pamphlet and Kenny's pamphlet, however my bucket has the manure forks, which none of the pictured loaders have them. They seem to be original to the bucket, and don't appear to be homemade or add on's.

Another thing that sold this tractor to me is the serial number plate of the tractor. I've been collecting these old round fenders for over 25 years now, and of all of the '66 110's that I've owned, this is the first one that I've come across that calls out for the GT-2 series tire package. I don't like using the word rare, but in this case it kind of fits. I've seen plenty of GT-1, GT-3, and GT-4 tire packages, but this is the first for the GT-2. For those that don't know what I talking about, the GT-2 tire package is 4.80/4.00-8 all purpose narrow front tires, and 6-12 bar tread narrow rear tires. At some point though, this tractor has had the rear rims and tires changed, as they are the 23x8.50-12 bar treads. If and when this tractor does get restored, the 6-12 bar treads will be put back on.

I also found it interesting, that High Flotation rear tires shouldn't be used on tractors with front end loaders, and the rear wheels must be set out to the 33" wheel base setting. According to the literature, the narrow front wheels are acceptable to use for the front end loader, as it will aid in easier steering, however without power steering, I don't think steering will get any easier just due to tire width. 

• Bolens 1000, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 11:12 AM

That looks like heavy bucket for that small tractor. That Really the way the trip bucket should be??  Almost seems to me maybe someone added side metal on to the orig bucket and that mechanical tip linkage looks kinda home-built or changed??  I have no idea of orig stuff, so maybe shouldn't be saying anything. Think if mine, would have to change that bucket system, just because I don't like looks of it. Adds a lot of weight out there. I DO like the controls being lower and easier to reach there than many brands.  Most are up on top of one of towers or close and more of reach. Can't see in pix, but is the pump and controls all in one box there? Look real close at least.  Hope you have a blaster cabinet, lots of rust to clean up there, should be easy with a cabinet tho.

The only thing that I can see that was added and is not original, is the pieces of flat steel that were welded to the lift arm frame, right at the bends. I looked for cracks and or stress marks yesterday, and I didn't find anything, so I'm not exactly sure why they were added. Since this loader will eventually be a show piece and will be taken out of work, the added pieces will be removed and taken back to original, that is unless I find something hidden behind these plates when I remove them. 

The pictures that I have shown above are what the seller sent me, but now that the tractor is home, I'll try and get some better pictures this afternoon and re-post them.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, wvbuzzmaster and 1 other said thanks

#10 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,776 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 11:16 AM

Yikes! I got tetanus looking at it.

Good find.
  • johndeereelfman and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 11:33 AM

I have heard from owner's of bigger tractors, like PK's that say the bigger tires DO make it harder to steer. Hold more weight, but steer harder. Most stay with the big Tri-ribs PK used. Thinner might sink in soft stuff quicker tho, so some like the wider floating type tire.  Not sure why Rear tires would make difference?  Seems most weight is on the fronts, weight box in rear needed because it gets light in use, so what is difference?  More fluid could go in bigger tires also, so why not? You even see duals put on many loader tractors.

• johndeereelfman and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#12 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 12:42 PM

If I'm not mistaken Troy, don't you have a little RJ to finish first ? nice score.
  • johndeereelfman and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#13 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 12:59 PM

If I'm not mistaken Troy, don't you have a little RJ to finish first ? nice score.

Yes Hank, an RJ, a '71 70 lawn tractor, '73 140, a barrel train, a teeter totter, a kitchen, a den, etc, etc, etc.  :(

• MH81, HANKG and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#14 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,658 Thanks
  • 1,740 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 01:10 PM

Great find!!   But you should have used all capital letters when you spelled ROUGH.    :D     

Good luck on the resto..   Looking forward to the pics,     Rick

Edited by CRFarnsworth, March 20, 2016 - 01:10 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#15 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 01:26 PM

Great find Troy!
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 110, johnson loader, round fender, attachment