Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote Now Featured Tractor April 2016

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now Featured Tractor April 2016 (103 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now Featured Tractor April 2016

1. Wards Garden Mark Squire 9 - Taintedmrgreen (25 votes [24.27%])

Percentage of vote: 24.27%

2. Bolens 900 - Deerlope (18 votes [17.48%])

Percentage of vote: 17.48%

3. Massey Ferguson MF14 - James Bosma (12 votes [11.65%])

Percentage of vote: 11.65%

4. Speedex S18 - GTpicker01 (16 votes [15.53%])

Percentage of vote: 15.53%

5. Panzer T70b - jabelman (11 votes [10.68%])

Percentage of vote: 10.68%

6. Simplicity Model D - CraftsmanGT (3 votes [2.91%])

Percentage of vote: 2.91%

7. Allis Chalmers B-210 - M.Cain (12 votes [11.65%])

Percentage of vote: 11.65%

8. Wheel Horse Suburban 400 - Racinbob (6 votes [5.83%])

Percentage of vote: 5.83%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted March 04, 2016 - 05:38 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of April has now officially started.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of April and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 8 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• Wards Garden Mark Squire 9 - Taintedmrgreen
  • Bolens 900 - Deerlope
  • Massey Ferguson MF14 - James Bosma
  • Speedex S18 - GTpicker01
  • Panzer T70b - jabelman
  • Simplicity Model D - CraftsmanGT
  • Allis Chalmers B-210 - M.Cain
  • Wheel Horse Suburban 400 - Racinbob

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• blackjackjakexxix, antoniopc4, brandimw2 and 19 others have said thanks

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,052 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted March 04, 2016 - 08:27 AM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• before.jpg
  • during1.JPG
  • during2.JPG
  • after.JPG
  • after1.JPG
  • wmott.JPG

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, DougT and 35 others have said thanks

#3 Deerlope OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 370 Thanks
  • 302 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 10:02 AM

I would like to enter my 1965 Bolens 900. The original purchase history I do not have. I do know that it sat unused for many years because of mechanical issues. Family members passed away and it came up at and estate auction when discovered sitting in an outbuilding at a camp.

I did not get it at the auction sale but I did acquire it a few years later. It sat in my storage for over 4 years until I was able to get started on it, due to some health issues. I completely and totally dissembled it right to the point that it did not look like a tractor. I sandblasted all the metal  and primed and painted it. I installed a new clutch surface and also replaced any part that was worn. I used many new bearing and seals.

I will only use this as a show piece a few times a year here and there.

Attached Thumbnails

• NEXT 002.JPG
  • NEXT 004.JPG
  • NEXT 011.JPG
  • At last 001.JPG
  • At last 002.JPG
  • At last 003.JPG
  • At last 006.JPG

Edited by Deerlope, March 05, 2016 - 12:18 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 27 others have said thanks

#4 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 415 Thanks
  • 211 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 07:38 PM

I will nominate my 1974 Massey Ferguson MF14

In the spring of 2015 I was out to get my first GT with a snow blower before the winter arrives. I am a seasonal work and get laid off during the winter months so I thought I may snow blow a few driveways . I found and purchased this Massey Ferguson MF14 with factory 3 point hitch and implements.

The first 2 pictures were taken May 14 2015 from the ad that was on Kijiji.

Picked the tractor up on May 17 2015, There is a  pic of the load

On May 18 2015 done a good going over on the tractor to see what condition it was in and was pleasantly surprised.

Drained oil from the engine and the hydro unit, replaced the hydro filter and put new oil in hydro unit and engine.

Carburetor was removed, cleaned and reinstalled. Fuel tank had a hole in bottom so a clean temporary fuel tank was hooked up with new fuel filter and lines to test engine. Points were cleaned and gaped.

Engine fired right up and sounded decent after sitting for 10 years by what the previous owner had said when it last ran

Tried hydro unit and it worked well

This tractor was a good candidate to be restored due to the faded paint brush paint job that was awful to look at in my opinion.

One of the first things to do was reroute the exhaust so the grill and hood can be attached to the tractor once again. I was very pleased that they did not cut the grill up to make room for their exhaust routing.

Now the Massey was ready to be stripped down for degreasing and cleaning before paint

Wire brushed the frame to remove any rust and flaking paint.

Frame was primed grey and everything else was painted their original colours.

Tractor was reassemble and attention was taken to the factory 3 point hitch

The 3 point hitch seemed to have never been used due to the condition of the parts and that the hydraulic cylinder, hoses and bracket were missing. My father had a nice little steering cylinder in the garage that the tie rod had wore out and cut off that was very close to factory size except for longer stroke. New bracket was made up as close to original except length to accommodate the extra stroke. I like this cylinder because the hoses are better protected that the original set up.

Early in the fall tractor was stripped down, frame painted Flint Grey, decals applied and tractor was almost finished.

When I got the MF14 the front bezel was missing so a search began for one.

The search didn't last long as my uncle ended up having 2 halves that could be made into one so I took them

A jig was made up and they became one and was installed on the tractor

The tractor is now complete

My main uses for this tractor is shunting different show trailers around the yard in the summer with the A frame trailer hitch, 3pt makes hooking up real easy and during the winter months its snow removal abilities are gratefully appreciated

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0909.PNG
  • IMG_0912.PNG
  • Massey 0d.JPG
  • IMG_0913.PNG
  • DSCN2301.JPG
  • Massey 2a.JPG
  • Massey 2f.JPG
  • Massey 5h.JPG
  • 1424385687.jpg
  • DSCN2302.JPG
  • DSCN2303.JPG
  • Massey 6a.JPG
  • Massey 6b.JPG
  • Massey 6c.JPG
  • Massey with bezel.JPG

Edited by James Bosma, March 06, 2016 - 07:20 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 23 others have said thanks

#5 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 578 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 01:12 PM

I will nominate my 1967 Speedex S18

I picked this tractor up out of the Corn Crib of my girlfriend's grandparents farm. From what her dad told me, it was bought by his father with the intention of restoring it in the late 80's, but he never got around to it and sadly he passed away in April 2013. I came into the picture in 2014 when her dad told me he had an old garden tractor sitting in the corn crib, but he didn't know what it was. So he took me down to look and it and what I found was this old Speedex! Now, I was very excited because I had always wanted a Speedex plus it had a Kohler Engine! So I told him that if they ever wanted to get rid of it I would gladly take it. A few months later I made a deal for both the Speedex and a Cub Cadet 102. I was very excited!!

20140826_193620.jpg 20140826_193643.jpg 20140826_193700.jpg

Once I got the tractor home, I immediately began to try and make it live again! It had no spark, but points and a condenser fixed that, and it also needed a carb rebuild, so I put that in. Once I gave it a new spark plug then it fired right up and no smoke! The transmission was the basket case on this particular tractor. It had a peerless model 2311 transmission that leaked just about everywhere. I had a heck of a time getting the hubs off the axle to try and split the transmission and I think I did more harm than good getting those off. After I managed to get the hubs off, I split the transmission and began to take inventory of what I needed. I ended up replacing the roller bearings at the ends the axle housing as well as every oil seal on the transmission. Also, the input shaft bearing were completely shot so I replaced them along with the oil seal. Inside the differential there were broken roller bearings and I replaced those. A big shout out goes to Ben at Old Path's Equipment for helping me find these parts as some are no longer being made! A new gasket and the transmission was back together! The Kohler K181 was in good shape and had been bored .10 over at some point so I just replaced all the gaskets since the engine didn't smoke. I also replaced the mismatched headlight's with NOS headlights off of a 1960's CASE combine. The body was not in horrible shape. Someone had painted it with a brush at one point and had paint slopped everywhere. That's not fun to get off when you don't have a sandblaster! One of the last things I did was have the rims powder coated and I think they turned out great. I put new tires on the front and reused the back tires. After a new wiring harness was made, I painted it IH Red and put it back together. Honestly I am very proud of how this one turned out. When I showed it to the family when I was done it put a smile on all of their faces and they said Elroy (my girlfriend's grandfather) would be so happy that someone fixed this up! 

20150609_201300.jpg 20150609_201435.jpg 20150609_201323.jpg 20150609_201339.jpg

Honestly I think this is one of the greatest hobbies in the world!!

Thanks for your consideration!

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 18 others have said thanks

#6 jabelman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38843
  • 1,453 Thanks
  • 1,119 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 07:51 PM

I never nominated one of ours before so I figured this would be a good one to try.
I going to throw in our t70b panzer which I restored in 2014 with my younger son for him. his older brother has a t60. I found this out in Pennsylvania it was in a chicken coop sitting for years. importantly it was complete and straight came with a snowplow and a fair price.
we brought home pressure washed it, broke it all down, and proceeded to bring it back to life again as shown. the original briggs ran ok but was temperamental at times so I upgraded to a briggs 800. I made simple bolt on motor mounts with no alterations for the new engine and can turn back to stock in about 1/2hr.
the restoration took about 3 months. my boys really enjoy their panzers. all the work was done by the 3 of us. he probably the only 4 year old with a panzer too! thanks for your consideration

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-04-18_13-21-44_668.jpg
  • 2014-06-25_18-52-40_934.jpg
  • 062814144624.jpg
  • 2014-06-16_19-38-06_641.jpg
  • 2014-04-18_13-21-24_116.jpg
  • 20151121_142504.jpg

Edited by jabelman, March 08, 2016 - 08:00 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Craig. and 19 others have said thanks

#7 CraftsmanGT OFFLINE  

• Member No: 67395
  • 163 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 02:22 PM

I'd like to nominate my 1948 Simplicity Model D. I bought it from the original owner who was 93. It had a 2.5hp Clinton 800 series engine on it when I bought it and it did run but the governor was missing the carb was pretty bad. When I tore it down the piston had a good .20 thousandths play in the cylinder and the the rod had some play on the crankshaft. I replaced it with the 5hp B&S currently on it and put new tires on it. At first I didn't like the tractor after using it a few times and I was going to sell it, but I decided to keep it and have grown to love and enjoy it alot. It's gets used for some of the heavier pulling jobs, used with the sickle bar for mowing where I don't want to use my Allis, and mowing around the barn with the reel mower. It has been a great worker. I'm still on the hunt for more attachments.

Edited by CraftsmanGT, March 10, 2016 - 02:29 PM.

• olcowhand, Craig., blackjackjakexxix and 13 others have said thanks

#8 M.Cain OFFLINE  

• Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 04:28 PM

I would like to nominate my 1970 Allis Chalmers B-210

My father and I bought this tractor from a dealership in 1971 it was used by the dealership to attend to his front lot mowing detail . After acquired we used it for about two years then after buying more land we had to move up to a much bigger Deutz -Allis diesel .

So the B-210 went in barn for about 20 years . Then I kept thinking it time to restore the old girl she was go to us so I decided to take on the task of restoring her back to its original state.

Séance the mower was very low hour all the engine needed was a carb kit every part was sand blasted epoxy primed and ppg paint and harder was used . I removed engine split the frame removed rearend  and all sheet metal tires were removed from rims . Then all seals were replaced due to age harness was removed and cleaned also . All chrome was redone with the highest quality $540.00 dollars worth yes I said ouch lol . I also replaced the tires with narrow tri rib on the front and lugs on the rear and replaced seat and arm rest and acquired a new set of original decals from start to finish it took me about three weeks of 10 hour days and a few beers .

As you can see I added weights and a 12'' Brinley Hardy plow  the old gal turns a lot of heads at shows and I have received several comments of all the tractors I have restored this was the most enjoyable one that I have done here are some before and after pictures.

Owned and restored

By Mitchell Cain

Alexandria Indiana 46001DSC00366.JPG DSC00367.JPG DSC00377.JPG DSC00392.JPG DSC00395.JPG DSC00396.JPG DSC00397.JPG DSC00398.JPG DSC00399.JPG DSC00419.JPG DSC00420.JPG DSC00463.JPG DSC00630.JPG DSC00631.JPG Swayzee Show 001.JPG Heartage Days-2011 008.JPG

• olcowhand, Craig., blackjackjakexxix and 8 others have said thanks

#9 Racinbob OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55951
  • 69 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 03:13 PM

I figured I’d toss my recently completed Wheel Horse Suburban 400 in the mix.

I became a Wheel Horse fan at the ripe old age of 5 when my Dad bought his first new one. That was in 1960 and this is the very same model. Living just outside of South Bend, IN up until 2000 I had a good size herd of Wheel Horses but they were sold to make the move. Wheel Horses are rare in Florida and I search hard to find one to mow with. I did finally find a 2005 Classic GT a little over 100 miles away. Then I wanted to get a project tractor but there was nothing to be found. Much to my amazement I stumbled onto this one only 15 miles away. I couldn’t be sure from the sellers pictures if it was a 1960 or 1961 and he didn’t know either. I arranged to go see it and must have had a mile wide grin when I saw it was the exact model that started my addiction.

I took my time on the restoration. It was 23 months ago when I got it. Everything was stripped down and a friend did some welding on the hood as it was pretty rough. The transmission was disassembled and I replaced some bearings, a couple gears, one shift fork and all the seals. I made new levers for the throttle and choke and a decal from redoyourhorse.com was used. My serial number was gone so I had him put ‘Suburban 400’ in its place. I tore the motor down. The previous owner had replaced the crankshaft and used one with a tapered shaft and welded a pulley on it. I had the original crankshaft and had it turned down .010”. Rebuild the carburetor and new gaskets and I was good to go. As you can see I didn't do a 'factory original' restoration. Some of the parts I needed are nearly impossible to find in decent shape. I love original restorations but I also love to see folks put their personal touch in their machine. That's what I do with mine.

The build thread can be seen here http://www.wheelhors...ind-in-florida/

I don’t plan on working this tractor. We are going to the big show in PA again this year and I thought about taking it but decided against it. Soon we will be moving back to Indiana and with that being closer to many shows I’m sure it will be at some.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sub 040214 1.JPG
  • Controls Complete.JPG
  • Drag link - sector.JPG
  • Sub Hood bug.jpg
  • Suburban 030816 19.JPG
  • Suburban 030816 18.JPG
  • Suburban Banner Pic.jpg
  • Hood damage 081614 1.JPG
  • Hood damage 081614 2.JPG
  • Hood Stand 072814 3.JPG
  • Hood stand done 2.JPG
  • Sub 111414 1.JPG
  • Suburban hood final 1.JPG
  • Suburban hood final 2.JPG
  • Steering wheel done.JPG

Edited by Racinbob, March 19, 2016 - 04:29 PM.

• Craig., blackjackjakexxix, sacsr and 11 others have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 08:27 AM

Let the voting begin.

• blackjackjakexxix and Cat385B have said thanks

• Member No: 66960
  • 869 Thanks
  • 463 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 08:55 AM

These are all very nice tractors !!  I would be proud to own any of them !!

I had to pick one , what a shame they all can't win .

• jpackard56, Bmerf, James Bosma and 1 other said thanks

#12 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 872 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 08:37 PM

It's getting too hard to vote, they are all great
  • Bmerf and James Bosma have said thanks

#13 Austen OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33768
  • 775 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 09:56 AM

Very tough choices!

• James Bosma said thank you

#14 Husky OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 915 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 10:59 AM

Tough contest they are all beautiful. 

#15 Craig. OFFLINE  

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 873 Thanks
  • 757 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 06:32 PM

Wow this one is rough! What a great bunch of tractors.