21 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 09:37 AM

I stumbled upon a Tri Trac and have a question.  I saw pictures of it a few years back, but can't remember it well, except that it looked pretty decent.  I don't have pictures of it now, but here's what I was told about it, and I don't remember anything contradicting it from when I saw the pictures.  It is all original, including the paint, engine and tires (except this fellow replaced a bearing in the steering, I think, and added a pad to the seat).  It runs and drives and the tires hold air, although they're weather checked.  It is complete, including the correct air filter.  The sheet metal is dented around the back near the bottom, but not rotted.  It includes a front blade and a single furrow plow, and are Tri Trac attachments.  He also has the manual for it.  I know that pictures would make things much easier and better so that you can see exactly what it is, but I simply don't have them, and it's far enough away that I can't just swing by to take pictures.  Anyway, based on this description, what do these machines typically go for, what kind of price range?  Just looking for a ballpark price range in terms of value for such a machine, not a specific price.  I've never bought one before and just want to get a bit of a short and dirty handle as to their value.  I know they tend to fetch a decent dollar, but past that, I'm not sure.  Just want to get a ballpark idea, maybe even a "you'd be crazy not to buy it at this price because they never come up in that kind of condition for that price" kind of thing.  Thanks.

#2 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,731 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 09:56 AM

Tough call without actual photos. Some will come and say it's only worth what you're willing to pay and there is no real bluebook for these buggers. They are rare, I get call from the west coast from people wanting to buy mine if that means anything. I've seen them sell for $300 to $1200 depending upon condition and attachments.

• jtrojek said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 10:02 AM

I saw one at Zagray a couple of years ago. It was restored and looked beautifull. I think that it was priced at $1800 but it didn't sell. I don't know anymore about it. Good Luck, Rick

• jtrojek said thank you

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 10:12 AM

I want one of those

• jtrojek said thank you

#5 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 10:52 AM

I know where there are at least four of them. Each with a different attachment.

But the owner wants $3,500  per unit for them.       

His father collected D.B. everything and had two semi trailers of tri-Tracs and walk behinds and D.B. paraphernalia. 

• jtrojek said thank you

#6 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 995 Thanks
  • 508 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 02:10 PM

I have seen a lot of ads for these in the past year , from the description you give I have even seen that one . was that the $1400 one ?

If so that doesn't seem like a bad deal for that , but only if it is what you are willing to pay for it.  

I have never seen one for less than $1000  but prices go pretty high and they are getting harder to find. How much do you love the machine ?

If you are looking to make money , this hobby is not a good way to do it . If you just want to enjoy odd old machines , no price is too much to pay for a smile :D  

Edited by MGP59DB, March 18, 2016 - 02:10 PM.

• Titus, jtrojek and grattone have said thanks

#7 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 03:52 AM

Some will come and say it's only worth what you're willing to pay

I'd agree to an extent.  I only pay for a tractor what it's worth to me, but I do always keep in mind what they generally go for as I tent to keep my stuff for awhile, enjoy it, and then pass it along to someone else.  I'm on a tight budget and don't have a ton of space so I have to behave myself and have a bit of a system to enjoy what I want to enjoy and not spend a small fortune doing it.

was that the $1400 one ?

How much do you love the machine ?

If you are looking to make money , this hobby is not a good way to do it 

I don't think it's the one you're thinking of.  This one's in Ontario and isn't listed in an ad.  I've not really been looking for one of these as I'm more into the tractor-type design garden tractors, especially the ones that use old car parts.  While I'm not really looking at it to make money, I do tend to keep my stuff only for a time, enjoy it, and then pass it along to someone else.  Budget and space are major concerns for me so that's what I have to do to be able to enjoy and experience as many different machines as I want to.  However, whenever I buy something, I always only pay what I'm willing to pay for it, and I always buy at a price that I know I won't lose money on it if/when I sell it, even with the money that I will put into it to fix it up.  So far this rule has worked out well for me.  I have no interest in losing money on things.  My hobby has to be cost neutral at worst.  I've found that as long as I'm patient, the right tractor at the right price always comes along eventually.  I'm patient and don't mind waiting.  

Thanks for all your help, everyone!  It sounds like I was about right in terms of what I was thinking about what they generally go for, or at least what people are asking.  It was very helpful to hear other people's observations and experiences.  We'll see what happens with this one.  It's not usually what I'm into but it is tempting.  I'll give it some careful thought (it's not often that I rush into something).  Thanks again.

• MGP59DB said thank you

#8 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 10:32 AM

I picked up this Tri Trac today. It runs and drives really nicely, and is in really nice, original shape from what I can tell. I'll have to get it home to play with to see if I keep it or not.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160401_100432.jpg
  • IMG_20160401_100411.jpg
  • IMG_20160401_100422.jpg
  • IMG_20160401_100404.jpg
  • IMG_20160401_100357.jpg
  • IMG_20160401_100346.jpg
  • IMG_20160401_100336.jpg
  • IMG_20160401_112340.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Titus and 2 others have said thanks

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 10:43 AM

That is a nice original survivor. That's one that should be preserved and not restored.

• jtrojek said thank you

#10 IWLBCNU ONLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 10:59 AM

WOW!!!! nice
  • jtrojek said thank you

#11 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 10:59 AM

that's awesome I have on them on my list to find someday
  • jtrojek said thank you

#12 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 01:00 PM

Thanks, everyone, and I couldn't agree more, Doug. I was even thinking that I may treat this one to some sort of oil treatment to help preserve the paint. It will be kept inside with all my other stuff, but still, it really does deserve as much as I can do for it. Is it a 1954? Engine number says so, I think

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160401_135210.jpg
  • IMG_20160401_135218.jpg

#13 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 01:46 PM

there is a clear spray I can't remember name Eastwood carries it it's for preserving patina on metal, it's a hot rod thing
  • jtrojek said thank you

#14 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 995 Thanks
  • 508 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 04:52 PM

That is in pretty good condition from what I can see ! Great find !

• jtrojek said thank you

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Very nice machine ! Did you get any other attachments besides the plows ?
  • jtrojek said thank you