• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 10:27 AM

I wanted to know if anyone had a lead on rebuild kit for the fuel pumps on the K-Series Kohler's. The last few times I've inquired about them, the shops I talk to, say they are NLA. Thats very disappointing, I don't want to pay 150.00+ for a new pump, when it's usually just the diaphragm thats bad.
Anyone have a thoughts on this, or a place to get the rebuild kits? Thanks

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 10:33 AM

NAPA used to carry fuel pump rebuild kits , they are listed in ther 2004 Outdoor Power Equipment Service Parts catalog , not sure if they do anymore .
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 10:34 AM

Thanks Al, I will check with NAPA.....

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 10:34 AM

How about complete OEM pumps w/gaskets for $53 to your door, or aftermarket pumps for $36 to your door:
Kohler Fuel Pumps
  • caseguy and twostep have said thanks

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 10:48 AM

Wow Daniel, That a great site, Thanks for for link...

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 11:02 AM

I've bought from them myself & got great service.

#7 jscam OFFLINE  

jscam

• Member No: 1902
  • 21 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 08:19 PM

I went thru 3 electric pumps in 2 yrs and got sick of messing with it. Im on my third summer with one of the $35 aftermarket mechanical pumps.............so far, so good!

#8 timothytim OFFLINE  

timothytim

• Member No: 5479
  • 2 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 02:14 PM

Found a place finally at this link <HERE> that says they have rebuild kits. I have not purchased from them yet, but the price looks pretty good for made in USA and the parts in the photos look right. The pumps are not difficult at all to disassemble and repair, especially the older metal ones.
  • caseguy and bowtiebutler956 have said thanks

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Found a place finally at this link <HERE> that says they have rebuild kits. I have not purchased from them yet, but the price looks pretty good for made in USA and the parts in the photos look right. The pumps are not difficult at all to disassemble and repair, especially the older metal ones.

If you go ahead, and give them a try, please let us know your thoughts, and how they work out.
I'd be nice to be able to rebuild them, rather then stick plastic ones on there.

#10 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Thats neat, I wish I could have found that before I put a plastic pump on my K301. Thanks for posting! :thumbs:

Matt

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Just tried the link in the above post. Error, so it looks like

they're gone.

Does anyone have a source for Kohler pump kits?

#12 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 10:58 AM

I am going with this on the 312 when it goes back together.  I am impressed with Kirk's stuff and his service.  

http://kirkengines.c...ctronicFuelPump

Don't rebuild or replace that expensive and unreliable mechanical fuel pump when you can update to this! The Facet Electronic Fuel Pump (sometimes referred to as the "cube" pump) is the most reliable and compact alternative available today. Perfect for any lawn and garden tractor application, this pump offers a 7 GPH flow rate at 1-2 psi delivery pressure, just right for Kohler and Onan carburetors. The tailored output pressure will not override the sensitive float needle seat force, a common problem when using automotive-type electric pumps. Both inlet and outlet ports are tapped for 1/8" pipe thread fittings (not supplied).

The solid state design ensures longer life when compared to other electric and mechanical pumps. It eliminates hot weather vapor lock problems and faster engine starting in cold weather due to virtually instant fuel delivery as soon as the key is switched on...no more extended cranking just to prime the carburetor bowl! Easily installed with instructions supplied. For 12 volt negative ground electrical systems only.

Facet Solid State Electronic Fuel Pump price each - $53.00 plus $9.50 Priority Mail Shipping

• IamSherwood said thank you

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Just tried the link in the above post. Error, so it looks like

they're gone.

Does anyone have a source for Kohler pump kits?

Here is the correct link:  http://www.maritimed...ohler_pumps.pdf

I can't remember his name now but the guy that actually makes the kits is with Then & Now Automotive out of Weymouth, MA.  They make fuel pump rebuild kits for antique cars.  Their site is www.then-now.com (which re-directs to a page on the Maritime Dragracing site above.)  (781) 335-8860

He offers rebuild kits for the pumps used on Kohlers which I take it are Airtex pumps with two or three different design variations.

I dealt with him last fall to make a kit for the Airtex pump used on the Tecumseh HH-120 in my Meteor.  The design is the same as the "Airtex" kit on the first website so I ordered one to see if it would work.  The diaphragm dimensions were the same but the dimensions of the arm were slightly different.  We figured out what would work and the guy had a new shaft/diaphragm assembly in the mail the next day.  His available check valve sizes don't match my pump and he said he's seen a few Kohler applications that have the same size I do.  Fortunately, the original material my checks are made of isn't something that would ever wear out so I think I'm fine there.  With our winter weather having set in a bit earlier than normal this past year, I haven't actually gotten to try the pump yet but I'll update with the results.  I wasn't thrilled with the shape of the diaphragm backing discs as his are a different shape that I think will physically limit the diaphragm's travel.  I suspect it'll still work but we'll see soon.  If everything works out, I'll start a thread in the Tecumseh sub-forum also.

#14 farmer3825 OFFLINE  

farmer3825
  • Member No: 77723
  • 2 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 12:53 AM

I have a kohler 8hp tiller/log splitter. In town the best price for a rebuild kit for my fuel pump was $109.00. What a crock I thought. I found a way around it. I made a plate to fit and seal  to the crank case with a fuel line nipple threaded into it. I attached a Briggs and Stratton pulse fuel pump, p/n 808656 to the fuel line in and out with the "p" or pulse port to the plate. Now I have a vacuum operated fuel pump. I did it for less than the cost of an electric fuel pump.

• limebuzz and Alc have said thanks

#15 greenb69 OFFLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 05:34 AM

Great job. That is the kind of ingenuity that makes America great. Nothing keeps us down. Thanks for sharing your solution.