Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jeep trailer wiring, will Diodes fix this?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,144 Thanks
  • 1,211 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 08:59 PM

Something else to consider is that years ago vehicles were overbuilt and the wiring that was used would handle the extra current draw of another bulb on the tail light, brake light and / or turn signal circuits - in todays world where everything is designed to "just get by" as long as everything else works properly to cut down on weight and cost of production the wiring may not be heavy enough to handle the extra load.

• MH81, dodge trucker, brettfa4 and 1 other said thanks

#17 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:06 AM

the Durango doesnt have seperate brake/turn like the Cherokee.  I have had 2 Cherokees (an 01 and a 97)  and currently have an 01 Durango  and yes for $20 that converter/trailer light wiring plug is definitely plug n play, installed them on both my Cherokees)

Incidentally I got the Durango because we wanted Cherokee #3 but couldn't find one with a rust free body AND under 200K miles for less than $6 grand at the time.  (so I wound up with a rust free Durango from the South with  214K on it instead, for like 1/3 of the price of another Cherokee)     wife's daily  now with 256K and climbing, I just dropped off a spare and disassembled 360 ("5.9") at the machine shop this morning, as a matter of fact, to get ready for a swap "just in case"

That's good to know. We are probably buying a 2002 with the 4.7L w/144K on it for maybe $1200-1500,we haven't came to an agreed price yet. It has some damage to the door frame where the owner tried to pry doors open when frozen and it needs a battery and 1 tire, but overall rust free and interior is clean.

My 03 blazer ran the wires for the turn signals to thier respective sides and the brake wire to one brAke light and the running lights to the wire ,just pull the light assemblies out and use splice connectors, no problems at all

Yea, older Chevy and even Ford made it easier, Stupid Jeep with the separate turn signal bulb throws wrench into it. I had to buy the connector for the Jeep Liberty we have.

Here is another ball-buster......a friend told me his Jeep wiring harness (from factory) is different than his wife's Jeep Cherokee (factory wiring harness).

He has to have 2 different adapters for the 2 Jeeps he has!

DOH! I am buying vehicle specific adapter and they both will have the standard flat 4 plug for trailer. Trailers are all standard industry wiring so should be plug/play.

• MH81 said thank you

#18 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 11:34 AM

I got lucky when I bought my Dodge 3/4ton, it had a factory tow package, had to add a break controller though as the last owner kept his, the plug and play is awesome.  I only have a 7way RV plug on the back and have to use an adapter for 4wire, learned the hard way not to buy the cheap one, second one I bought is a lot better quality.

#19 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 05:51 PM

my Wrangler doesn't have separate brake/turn but my Cherokees both did.

On my Durango, I had a chance to buy one a mile from my house when I bought the one I have now, with like 1/2 the miles the one I did buy has, but I passed on it because I am not familiar with the 4.7, I am very familiar with the 318 and 360... so I went with what I know... difference in price between them was small enough to be insignificant, . the other deciding factor was that the one I did buy, at that point had never seen snow, very clean rust free body, the one a mile from the house has been a rust belt truck from day 1.

I still see rustbucket ones where the asking price is higher than what I paid for mine, 3 years ago! specially ones listed on car lots...

I bought mine with 214K miles, now at 256K, I have an engine at the machine shop as we speak "just in case"-- having only 3 years in the rust belt the body on mine is still in great shape.  I don't care about "book price" we plan to run this one into the ground. and the loss as soon as I were to drive a new one off the proverbial lot, would be more than it will cost me to drop this other engine into mine, "whenever" that needs to happen...

#20 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 05:52 PM

I got lucky when I bought my Dodge 3/4ton, it had a factory tow package, had to add a break controller though as the last owner kept his, the plug and play is awesome.  I only have a 7way RV plug on the back and have to use an adapter for 4wire, learned the hard way not to buy the cheap one, second one I bought is a lot better quality.

same setup that my Durango had when I got it. plug n play for brake box....

• adamjd200 said thank you

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 07:44 AM

I looked at Durango ago yesterday, it has factory hitch and 7 RV plug so that's good to go. Other than the damage around the door window frame from it being pried open when doors were frozen, there is just a couple small rust spots from rock chips. I've the 4.7 has valve train/head issues, we have a 3.7 in our Libby which is the 4.7 minus 2 cyls, they have same issues. We may get it for under $1500 so for a first vehicle for my 16 yr old daughter, I will be happy.

#22 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,502 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 09:25 AM

The old story is stay away from the Chrysler .7's. 3.7, 4.7, 5.7. Truth is they are very hard to find in salvage yards which means there is a high demand, but if you have one that's over a 100,000 and clean inside and working well, it's likely to be that way for the long haul. The ones we had trouble with were not maintained, the old motors were more tolerant of neglect than the newer ones, but the 4.7 is one of my favorites from Chrysler.

• TAHOE said thank you

#23 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 11:44 AM

Listen to your friends, buy the box, my best friend has a degree in electronic engineering and is an excellent mechanic/electrician. My son has a stack of degrees in computer electronics as well as software, etc... They both bought the box.

Even better yet-  Buy a Chevy!

• TAHOE and toppop52 have said thanks

#24 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 07:55 PM

My 4.7 in my ram was OK but. Terrible mileage. 11 to 15 after it got 100k on it. It sludged up, lost all oil pressure. Had to pull the valve covers oil pan and replace the pickup tube.

It did run over 200k miles. It wasn't a terrible engine but not the finest ever made.
  • toppop52 said thank you

#25 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,502 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 07:43 AM

They do have sludge issues, but that seems to have improved in later models. One thing is for sure, they won't tolerate extended oil change intervals as well as some.

#26 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 10:10 AM

They do have sludge issues, but that seems to have improved in later models. One thing is for sure, they won't tolerate extended oil change intervals as well as some.

That was a 2004.  I changed between 3 and 5k.   I think my biggest enemy with that truck  was that for  75% of its driving it was 17 miles one  way, shut down, sit all day, 17 miles home, shut down sit all night.   Most of my week driving was like that.

• toppop52 said thank you

#27 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,502 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 03:15 PM

I wasn't implying you didn't service it, just a blanket observation, but they did have higher than average sludge issues, I saw probably 1 in 20 that had to have the pan dropped at around 100k-150k.

#28 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 03:36 PM

I wasn't implying you didn't service it, just a blanket observation, but they did have higher than average sludge issues, I saw probably 1 in 20 that had to have the pan dropped at around 100k-150k.

I know.

I was just pointing out with regular service, mine still sludged.  It was a problem with that engine.  I posted on a Dodge forum about the no oil pressure problem and they all jumped me saying only people who don't change their oil have that problem.  It was more than a little problem.

Anyone with a 4.7 that thinks because they do proper service intervals they won't encounter this problem are most likely mistaken.

• dodge trucker and toppop52 have said thanks

#29 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,502 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 04:15 PM

Yes they are, it might help, but it's guarantee.

#30 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 07:12 AM

Ordered plug and play adapter off evilbay, cheapest I could find was $26 shipped.