Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jeep trailer wiring, will Diodes fix this?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 09:02 AM

I am trying to "rig" up a trailer wiring harness on my son's Jeep 2000 Cherokee, but never encounter separate turn and brake light circuits like this one has.

Before everyone says go by the plug in convertor kit, I am cheap so trying to do this DIY. Diodes are a couple dollars at most where the convertor is about $20

Since I have 2 separate circuits that need to feed the single brake/Turn signal circuit of the trailer, can I wire in a diode in each circuit coming off the Jeep and then into one going to trailer?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 09:12 AM

Not exactly.
I did almost that (used bridge rectifier) the trouble was the brake light will over ride the turn signal.
It got me by for the two years I had it, but I was always hesitant.

Another thing you must consider is if the vehicle has computer controlled brakes. My Freestar does and I had to have my son Ryan (electronics engineer) build a controller using SCR's, diodes and current limiting resistors.

Had most of the parts at the house, otherwise it wouldn't have been worth building.
  • Alc, jpackard56 and TAHOE have said thanks

#3 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,464 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 09:16 AM

Listen to your friends, buy the box, my best friend has a degree in electronic engineering and is an excellent mechanic/electrician. My son has a stack of degrees in computer electronics as well as software, etc... They both bought the box.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 09:17 AM

Not exactly.
I did almost that (used bridge rectifier) the trouble was the brake light will over ride the turn signal.
It got me by for the two years I had it, but I was always hesitant.

Another thing you must consider is if the vehicle has computer controlled brakes. My Freestar does and I had to have my son Ryan (electronics engineer) build a controller using SCR's, diodes and current limiting resistors.

Had most of the parts at the house, otherwise it wouldn't have been worth building.

well poop, not what I wanted to hear.

#5 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 10:04 AM

I know how you feel,,   I'm a cheep skate my self.. :smilewink:   But I think the plug and play, is the way to go.. It will take out the guessing out of the equation,  and they will not corrode as fast as a jerry rig and give you problems down the road..

sorry,,,,,, 

• TAHOE said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 10:09 AM

Listen to your friends, buy the box, my best friend has a degree in electronic engineering and is an excellent mechanic/electrician. My son has a stack of degrees in computer electronics as well as software, etc... They both bought the box.

I should do a write up on the one he did for me.
It was a Father Son project as well, so worth something there too.
  • Alc and TAHOE have said thanks

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 833 Thanks
  • 480 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 11:37 AM

I made one once.  Used relays.  Cost about $30 to build........

Buy the box.

• MH81, Alc and TAHOE have said thanks

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 12:00 PM

My neighbor just had to put a new computer in his jeep from trying the same thing. $20.00 looks better than the $390.00 he just paid for a used computer and labor to install. JM2CW! Good luck.                                                                                                                                                                                    Roger

• Alc and TAHOE have said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 12:46 PM

If you put the box on your Jeep, no other vehicle with separate turn signals can pull the trailer unless they have the box also.
Add a pair of amber clearance lights to your trailer and use them as your turn signals.  Separate plug to the Jeep.  Regular vehicle with combination brake/turn just use the regular plug and forget the one to the amber lights.

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 12:51 PM

If you put the box on your Jeep, no other vehicle with separate turn signals can pull the trailer unless they have the box also.
Add a pair of amber clearance lights to your trailer and use them as your turn signals.  Separate plug to the Jeep.  Regular vehicle with combination brake/turn just use the regular plug and forget the one to the amber lights.

All my trailers are the standard wiring, I already have a convertor box on the Jeep Liberty, guess the Cherokee will get one. A lot easier than changing the trailers. We maybe getting a Dodge Durango also soon so I guess it may need one too, if it has a trailer hitch.

All my family is driving Dodge junk, I'm the only GM left    :( I gotta work on it all :wallbanging:

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 01:09 PM

the Durango doesnt have seperate brake/turn like the Cherokee.  I have had 2 Cherokees (an 01 and a 97)  and currently have an 01 Durango  and yes for $20 that converter/trailer light wiring plug is definitely plug n play, installed them on both my Cherokees)

Incidentally I got the Durango because we wanted Cherokee #3 but couldn't find one with a rust free body AND under 200K miles for less than $6 grand at the time.  (so I wound up with a rust free Durango from the South with  214K on it instead, for like 1/3 of the price of another Cherokee)     wife's daily  now with 256K and climbing, I just dropped off a spare and disassembled 360 ("5.9") at the machine shop this morning, as a matter of fact, to get ready for a swap "just in case"

• TAHOE said thank you

#12 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 258 Thanks
  • 291 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 04:03 PM

My 03 blazer ran the wires for the turn signals to thier respective sides and the brake wire to one brAke light and the running lights to the wire ,just pull the light assemblies out and use splice connectors, no problems at all
  • TAHOE said thank you

#13 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 06:22 PM

Here is another ball-buster......a friend told me his Jeep wiring harness (from factory) is different than his wife's Jeep Cherokee (factory wiring harness).

He has to have 2 different adapters for the 2 Jeeps he has!

• TAHOE said thank you

#14 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,464 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 06:29 PM

The convertor goes on the vehicle, it had no effect on the trailer wiring, any vehicle can tow the trailer with 4 flat plug.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 06:45 PM

My 03 blazer ran the wires for the turn signals to thier respective sides and the brake wire to one brAke light and the running lights to the wire ,just pull the light assemblies out and use splice connectors, no problems at all

Most of the new vehicles are "new and improved" to the point that the computer senses a change in current and won't light the light.
Even the wrong bulb in a pinch can cause it.
  • esbbent and jpackard56 have said thanks