• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 09:10 PM

I build heavy trucks for a living. We keep the geared speed between the front and rear axles within 2%.

You calculate geared speed like this: (engine rpm X 60)/(tire revs per mile X transmission ratio X axle ratio)

Now when you look at the formula you can see that for what you need the engine speed doesn't matter. And you also need the transfer case ratio to get to the final drive ratio--multiply by the transfer case ratio. But at the end do the calculation for both front and rear and if you are within a couple of per cent you are good to go.

Hope this helps.

#17 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 08:36 AM

You should be able to check the height of tires on a new Factory set up at your dealer for that model and do the ratio math. Just match it up with the tires you want to put on it ! If you are going to do some serious ground engagement with good ag tires you don`t want the axles binding each other.

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 03:58 PM

You should be able to check the height of tires on a new Factory set up at your dealer for that model and do the ratio math. Just match it up with the tires you want to put on it ! If you are going to do some serious ground engagement with good ag tires you don`t want the axles binding each other.

That's a good idea... problem, I've yet to see a Mahindra Max set up with ag tires in the flesh, and only one in a picture.  I finally just bought front and rear tires per the size specified in the manual, with matching wheels... it worked out well... pics later...

Smitty

#19 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 09:28 PM

I got a set of dealer take offs at an auction that was an exact match ( had to get Ford centers for 2 pc rear) for the factory AG set up on my Ford 1520 4wd. The fronts are 7x14 that are hard to find anyway. Best I can figure they came off a Cub Cadet by Yanmar.in the 25-30 Hp range.. I also wound up with another pair of fronts off a Kubota. They actually fit the Ford lug pattern perfect.

Any way it looks like you could mix up tires and wheels in any fashion as long as your ratio was close.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 6-12, mahindra, kubota, 9.5 x 16, ag tire