Garden Tractor Forums banner

Looking for Wheels for My Compact Tractor

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  SNUFFY 
#1 ·
I have a Mahindra Max25 4x4 compact tractor that has the industrial type tires and wheels. I'd like to put Ag tires on it, but that requires a different wheel size for both the front and rear.

Mahindra specifies a 9.5 x 16 rear tire, and a 6-12 front tire for the tractor.

The rear wheel has a 6 hole on 6" bolt pattern, which I believe is the same as Bolens Large Frames, most Kubota CUTs, etc. The front wheel is a 5 on 4 1/2" patern with an approx. 3 1/8" pilot, which is what is used on most GT rear wheels.

The rear wheels are fairly common and available, but I can't find front wheels--I have a FEL with a 900 lb lift capacity, so I don't think GT wheels would work.

Does anyone know of another tractor that would have the size and bolt pattern I need for the front? (I've checked with Nebraska tire--they have the rear wheels and tires and the front tires, but not the front wheels)

Any help would be appreciated.

Smitty

See less See more
#5 ·
Aren't R-1 tires the same or close to Ag tires and made for big traction? So, not understanding why you would change them?? Or is that NOT what you have as "industrial" tires?
GL- Industrial Tires= Skid Steer type tires. Usually wider then equivalent height AG tires for most small tractors.

Reactions: Alc
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Mahindra is relatively new(here in the states) and I would be surprised if there are many salvaged yet.

If you check with a big tire shop you may find that you can get new aftermarket wheels nearly as cheap as you can find used?

An after thought, I remember that International built the Mahindra factory, with the agreement that they build Internationals compact for so many years and then it reverted back to the Mahindra Brothers.

So if you could find the International models closest in size, you may be able to find wheels off an International.

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Aren't R-1 tires the same or close to Ag tires and made for big traction? So, not understanding why you would change them?? Or is that NOT what you have as "industrial" tires?
The tires on my Mahindra basically have the same lug pattern as those used on skid steers, and are quite wide. The rear is a 27 x 12.5-15, and the front is a 20 x 8-10. They don't work well in wet dirt or snow--just tend to pack up into a slick.

I tried to upload some pictures of them, but they failed... not sure why. Anyway....

The ag tires Mahindra specs out are a 9.5-16 which is 33 inches in diameter, and 6-12, which is 23 inches in diameter. The ag tires are narrower, which will work better in my garden for creating raised beds, and will also give me 1 1/2" to 2" increased ground clearance. They also have a deeper tread and mud and snow won't stick as readily to them.

Regards,

Smitty

#9 ·
The Mahindra is relatively new(here in the states) and I would be surprised if there are many salvaged yet.

If you check with a big tire shop you may find that you can get new aftermarket wheels nearly as cheap as you can find used?

An after thought, I remember that International built the Mahindra factory, with the agreement that they build Internationals compact for so many years and then it reverted back to the Mahindra Brothers.

So if you could find the International models closest in size, you may be able to find wheels off an International.
That's a great idea!! I've found some Kubota tractors that use the same size wheels, but they have a 6 bolt hole pattern, or a 4 bolt hole pattern.

Smitty

#10 ·
So, I found some 5x12 wheels with the right bolt hole pattern on eBay. I'm pretty sure they're made for garden tractors. I've looked at the thickness of the wheels on my Mahindra, and the GT wheels seem to be about the same gage... I'm wondering if it might be worth the chance to try some of the GT wheels and see how they hold up????

Smitty

#11 ·
Okay, here's another question regarding swapping tires.

The tires currently on my Mahindra Max 25 have a diameter of 27" on the rear and 20" on the front, or a ratio of .741. My Mahindra manual says the ag tires are a 9.5-16 rear (33" diam.) and 6-12 front (22-23" diam. depending on mfr). The ratio for these tires is .697--quite a difference.

If I get a 7-12 (24.5" diam) for the front, the ratio will be closer to what is on it now-- .742

I'd like to get the taller front tire--a little more ground clearance, and hopefully a little better weight-carrying capacity.

Do you think it will be a problem to use the 7-12 in lieu of the 6-12??

Thanks,

Smitty

#13 ·
Go to your Kubota dealer and tell them what you are trying to do. If the lug pattern is the same as your machine they can order tires and wheels through whole goods at crazy low prices. I believe you need to speak with a salesman instead of the parts guys to get whole goods pricing though. Last post I read on a Kubota site was the price of 4 tires and wheels was lower than just a single rear tire through parts.

#14 ·
I am assuming the Mahindra is 4 wd. I do not remember the percentage, but if the wheel tires on both axles are mismatched by much it can bind the gears and tear them out.
It is a 4x4, but the tires that Mahindra specs for Industrial versus what Mahindra specs for Ag tires have a significantly different ratio. .697 to .741--

I'm not sure which is the best ratio to follow. The Age tires has the higher number...

Smitty

#15 ·
Go to your Kubota dealer and tell them what you are trying to do. If the lug pattern is the same as your machine they can order tires and wheels through whole goods at crazy low prices. I believe you need to speak with a salesman instead of the parts guys to get whole goods pricing though. Last post I read on a Kubota site was the price of 4 tires and wheels was lower than just a single rear tire through parts.
That's a good idea--several Kubotas have the same size rear tire and wheel with the same bolt pattern, but I haven't found any Kubota or JD/Yanmar with 5 bolt holes on the front.

Smitty

#16 ·
I build heavy trucks for a living. We keep the geared speed between the front and rear axles within 2%.

You calculate geared speed like this: (engine rpm X 60)/(tire revs per mile X transmission ratio X axle ratio)

Now when you look at the formula you can see that for what you need the engine speed doesn't matter. And you also need the transfer case ratio to get to the final drive ratio--multiply by the transfer case ratio. But at the end do the calculation for both front and rear and if you are within a couple of per cent you are good to go.

Hope this helps.

#17 ·
You should be able to check the height of tires on a new Factory set up at your dealer for that model and do the ratio math. Just match it up with the tires you want to put on it ! If you are going to do some serious ground engagement with good ag tires you don`t want the axles binding each other.

#18 ·
You should be able to check the height of tires on a new Factory set up at your dealer for that model and do the ratio math. Just match it up with the tires you want to put on it ! If you are going to do some serious ground engagement with good ag tires you don`t want the axles binding each other.
That's a good idea... problem, I've yet to see a Mahindra Max set up with ag tires in the flesh, and only one in a picture. I finally just bought front and rear tires per the size specified in the manual, with matching wheels... it worked out well... pics later...

Smitty

#19 ·
I got a set of dealer take offs at an auction that was an exact match ( had to get Ford centers for 2 pc rear) for the factory AG set up on my Ford 1520 4wd. The fronts are 7x14 that are hard to find anyway. Best I can figure they came off a Cub Cadet by Yanmar.in the 25-30 Hp range.. I also wound up with another pair of fronts off a Kubota. They actually fit the Ford lug pattern perfect.

Any way it looks like you could mix up tires and wheels in any fashion as long as your ratio was close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.