4 replies to this topic

#1 coldone OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 09:40 PM

The rear lift cylinder on the Snapper 1655DD started leaking out the through the rod seal. I took the cylinder apart so I could see what orings and seals were needed. I actually found that partstree had a seal kit for it. The original parts kit has been superseded by another kit so I ordered one. It finally came in and the kit is different than the original by quite a bit. When I took the cylinder apart there was an Oring on the end cap, Oring on the gland, O ring where the rod exits the cylinder and then a lip seal.

What came in the kit was a Square ring, a Lipped Oring (?),and what I think are 2 backer rings. These obviously fit the end cap and gland but I have no idea in what order. Also in the new kit was another small oring and white backer ring that go in the shaft hole. Again no idea which order.

What is missing is the lip seal and I do not know if the small Oring and Backer take the place of the lip seal or if I need to source a new seal or not.

Lipped Oring (?)  with where I think the 2 backer rings fit

Lipped O Ring By itself

Square ring that I think fits on the end cap

So I need some help in that I need to know what order the backer rings need to go in and if the lip seal is needed now that a backer ring has been added to the small Oring.

Edited by coldone, March 16, 2016 - 09:42 PM.

• ENafziger said thank you

#2 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,498 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 05:36 AM

Maybe there's something in this SKF Seal book

Attached Files

• coldone said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,782 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 06:50 AM

I would call Partstree and see what they had to say.

• coldone said thank you

#4 ENafziger OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45112
  • 253 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 07:34 AM

I presume you ordered the "Type A Benton" seal kit, and not the "Type B Victor", since only the Type A appears to be in stock?  I wonder if yours is the Victor type instead?  I have no idea what the difference is.  I've seen that there were two types before, and have wondered what differentiates them.

You may be better off taking the cylinder to a local hydraulic shop and having them match up seals.

• coldone said thank you

#5 limebuzz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 795
  • 825 Thanks
  • 862 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 08:16 AM

I noticed my 3pth cylinder is leaking too. BUT, someone along the line has welded the end onto the rod. So I will be needing a new one completely.