#1 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:08 PM

Hi MF folks, I haven't had anything to report since the re-power was done but now I remembered a question. The front axle definitely has slop when the steering wheel is wiggled back and forth. Is there a replaceable bushing in there? If there is where would be a good place to get one?

When I take the blade off, it would be a good time to take care of this before I put the cutting deck back on if this is something fairly simple.

I did a search and came up empty handed.

DAC

• propane1 said thank you

#2 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:17 PM

These bushings are still available at your MF dealer. I think they are $22 Canadian here. Cheaper to get a buddy with a lathe to make you some up. I'm sure it takes 2 in pivot and the spindles take the same bushings. Just a heads up. Good luck.
  • MH81, MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:44 PM

Also check the bolt and nut it seems to loosen up over time.

• MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 09:34 PM

I knew my Canadian friends would have some info! It sure seems these tractors were pretty popular up there.

These bushings are still available at your MF dealer. I think they are $22 Canadian here. Cheaper to get a buddy with a lathe to make you some up. I'm sure it takes 2 in pivot and the spindles take the same bushings. Just a heads up. Good luck.

I didn't even know IF there were bushings in there but it would make sense obviously. I have access to a lathe at work, but for the money I may be able to buy replacements rather than spend the time. I better just pull it off and get some measurements. There's a couple of pretty good bearing/bushing stores on Epay that have nice quality and great buy it now prices.

Also check the bolt and nut it seems to loosen up over time.

The bolt is tight, I checked it when I took off the front mower deck mount. The bolt itself may be worn out though. If it is I hope it's some kind of standard bolt.

DAC

• DH1 and limebuzz have said thanks

#5 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 04:07 AM

I would change the bolt while your in there. Bolt broke on my 12 once. Made quite a mess. Axle flipped out and under tractor. Grade 8 bolt.

Noel

Edited by propane1, March 17, 2016 - 04:08 AM.

• limebuzz, IamSherwood and MFDAC have said thanks

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 08:12 PM

As I recall it is surprisingly complex.  The Axle houses two bearings, which ride on a single bushing, which is held in place by the bolt you see in the frame.  Local bearing store may be able to help also.

• MFDAC said thank you

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:33 PM

I would change the bolt while your in there. Bolt broke on my 12 once. Made quite a mess. Axle flipped out and under tractor. Grade 8 bolt.

Noel

I will sure do that Noel! Glad it is a "normal" type bolt.

As I recall it is surprisingly complex.  The Axle houses two bearings, which ride on a single bushing, which is held in place by the bolt you see in the frame.  Local bearing store may be able to help also.

Wow yeah that's a little different! I sure don't recall anyone ever posting about this before so it's all new to me. I better get it pulled and see what's in there. I may have to order what is needed. It has become very difficult to justify buying local anymore with such terribly high prices. Two weeks ago I needed a "speedy sleeve" for a transfer case i was almost done building. I needed to get it done and move on to another chore so I bought one locally. $38 bucks for a sleeve that goes for 8-10 bucks shipped from ebay stores. That is only one example of how many times the local businesses have ripped cash out of my wallet. I just can't afford to support local business any more. Wish I could buy the 50 cent per gallon over-priced gas than all the towns 50 miles away or the over inflated groceries that the stores constantly blame gas prices for on line too! Sorry about the rant, but they force people to buy online.

Pic is the 38 dollar sleeve.

DAC 

Attached Thumbnails

• Transfer case rebuild 066.jpg

• limebuzz, KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#8 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:13 PM

I tore into the front axle today, It does look like the bolt wasn't tight enough even though I thought it was good. It seems the bolt may have been swiveling against the frame brackets instead of in the bronze bushings. The steel sleeve and bronze bushings seem to have little play, but the bolt is gouged and I think the holes in the frame are wallered out. I will get a new grade 8 bolt as Noel suggested and try bolting it up tight! Here's pics to see what is in there.

I sure don't know what I'm doing wrong to get the pics to post in the order I want but y'all will figure it out!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• front axle 009.jpg
  • front axle 001.jpg
  • front axle 003.jpg
  • front axle 004.jpg
  • front axle 005.jpg
  • front axle 006.jpg
  • front axle 007.jpg

• limebuzz, IamSherwood, HowardsMF155 and 1 other said thanks

#9 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:17 PM

Also, in my re-power thread you folks let me know that my front mower deck mount was bent. Now I am thinking the lower arm on the lift pivot is also bent. Here's a couple pics of that too.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• front axle 008.jpg
  • front axle 002.jpg

#10 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:26 PM

Oh yeah, thanks Howard, definitely a 3 piece bearing-bushing assembly!

DAC

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#11 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Also, in my re-power thread you folks let me know that my front mower deck mount was bent. Now I am thinking the lower arm on the lift pivot is also bent. Here's a couple pics of that too.

DAC

Mine is straight.

• MFDAC said thank you

#12 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:29 AM

Hit some thing hard to bend that.

Noel
  • MFDAC said thank you

#13 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 09:44 PM

Mine is straight.

Mine is now again too---LOL! Thanks for the help!

Hit some thing hard to bend that.

Noel

I really can't say if this and the front deck mount was bent before I got this tractor in 2011 or if I did it since then. I know I've banged the cutting deck into trees and one time early last summer the ground was so wet that i slid into the ditch in front of the house, went and got the pickup and tow cable and it got stuck too. Got the truck out then with the cable and a long chain I got the truck into a better spot for some bite and drug it out. I was alone so couldn't see for sure what was happening to the tractor. It shouldn't have hit anything substantial-----

Anyway the front axle is back in tonight, new bolt, nice and tight. NO play in the front axle at all now, but it still pivots easily. Greased the zirks while it was hanging on the hoist. I hadn't finished installing the implement drive pedal with this new engine since the snow blade didn't require it so that got done tonight too. Tomorrow night i will get the front deck mount straightened out and installed then it will be time to sharpen blades and hang the deck.

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, April 05, 2016 - 09:46 PM.

• limebuzz, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks