BrokenTractor
  • Member No: 69513
  • 8 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 06:46 PM

Hello,

I have this tractor:

13am675g062

It is either a 1998 or 1999. But either way, I just replaced both drive belts. The belt from the engine pulley to the variable is the one that doesn't make sense. After installing both belts and then putting the tractor in gear, the tractor does not move because the front belt is to big.

The specs call for 754-0280 as the front belt

and

754-0370 as the rear belt. So I have the 48" up front and the 53" going to the rear wheels.

It seems the 48" is way to big! Unless there is some other thing I didn't do right. I merely looped the 48" belt around the engine pulley and the variable speed pulley and that was it for the installation besides of course the rear belt. The funny thing is I found someplace that the 48" is really supposed to be a 39" belt and now I can't find that on the web wherever I was looking.

In any case I am using this as a guide for belt sizes:

http://manuals.mtdpr...num=&doSearch=Y

Anyone know what is going on with this?

Thanks in advance,

BrokenTractor ( MTD )

#2 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 07:23 PM

It sounds like you don't have the belt on right.
Almost every vee belt needs a tensioning device.
Usually a spring mounted pulley.
Make and model of tractor would help.
Pictures would be even better!

Joe

#3 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

BrokenTractor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 07:43 PM

belt
Album: Vbelt
2 images
0 comments

The red line indicates the belt location. It seems to me it goes from one pulley to the other plain and simple. I can't get to the actual tractor until say 12 hrs from now. Hoping the schematic helps.

Thanks,

BT

Edited by BrokenTractor, March 16, 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Those take a special Belt also.They are not a V belt.If you have a regular V belt on it that's why it seems to long.A regular V belt rides to deep in the variable pulley.

Front belt is MTD 954-0280A and rear belt is MTD 954-0370 Or 754-0280 and 754-0370

http://www.ebay.com/...fsAAOSwWTRWy2LQ

Long belt goes to the engine pulley,short belt to the transaxle pulley.When installed correctly the Rear belt will have Alot of tension on it and the Front belt will be a bit loose.

Don't forget the small idler pulley for the rear belt.

Take your top cover off and take a pic and post it here.I'll tell ya real quick if you have it on correctly.I've done dozens of those drive belt changes.

There actually pretty simple and they last longer than those cheap Hydro transaxles.

Edited by EricFromPa, March 16, 2016 - 08:48 PM.

#5 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

BrokenTractor
  • 8 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 09:05 PM

dayco

Tractorholic maybe that is it. Here is a belt I bought from an Auto Store and it seems to be a deep v-belt? I think I got them both on correctly. When the brake is on there is plenty of slack . When in a drive position say 3rd gear there is still some slack, and nothing happens.

BT