10 replies to this topic

#1 Dean B OFFLINE  

Dean B
  • Member No: 81795
  • 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 06:08 PM

Hello this is my first post:

I have a Ford LGT 165 & am looking for a mower deck for it. I moved & left behind a badly rusted 50" deck - now i wish i had taken it & rebuilt it. I believe the LGT is 1976 or 1978 but not sure as it has been awhile since working on it but now i want to buy a deck so i can mow my 2 acres with it. Someone had mentioned on a previous post that a Jacobson model was the same so if i knew what model was compatible i could expand my search better. Or does anyone know what other brands might work without to many modifications.

Thanks for any info you may have. 

• Chopperhed said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 06:39 PM

Welcome to GTT. Take a look in the Manuals Section for the Jacobsen/Fords. Compare what you need. Is yours open or closed sided?

I have 4 of the tractors and only 3 of the decks. Attachments are getting harder to find. I bought a Jacobsen just for parts for the LGTs. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 16, 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#3 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 355 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:12 PM

The 50 Inch Model 09JC9838 is more difficult to find as it was made for the larger LGTs. The 42 inch Model 09JC9835 is easier to find as it was made for all the different HP LGTs. These are Ford model numbers. The 42 inch Mower Deck was used on all tractors made by Jacobsen that is the manufacturer of these tractors. These mower deck was used from 1974 to the late 70s or early 80s.

Charlie

• Chopperhed and ChopRod have said thanks

#4 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:15 PM

The decks will interchange between the open and closed sides and the jakes are the same . I believe 73-83 models 100 thru 165 are the same

#5 Dean B OFFLINE  

Dean B
  • 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for the information. I now know what a mistake it was to leave the 50" deck behind even with all the holes & rust.

Any suggestions on sites to look for mower decks. I've been looking on Craigs list but not much there locally. Did Jacobson make other brands like - Yard Machine, Sears, John Deere, etc. that might fit.

Mine is the covered sides type with 3 point hitch. Pretty much stock< i began to restore it & pretty much finished it except the plastic gauge cover panel & the base cover on the shift area - those are pretty much not usable any longer. It was running great till the float in the carb sprung a leak. My interest in finishing it is gaining & i also want to use it to mow & also make it look sweet. I need Decals also but for now the main thing is getting a deck for it. 

• Chopperhed and propane1 have said thanks

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 03:12 AM

Probably just as well you left the 50" behind, it is all but impossible now to find blades for it, the 42" decks are readily available. The decks for these machines were from 1972- 1990's on the Jacobsen models and 1972-1983 on LGT models. All are interchangeable and properly adjusted and maintained will give you an unbelievable mow job. Good luck in your quest for a deck, they are pretty scarce on the west coast..
  • Chopperhed and ChopRod have said thanks

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 04:24 AM

Any pictures of the tractor. 3 point would be nice to have.

Noel

#8 Dean B OFFLINE  

Dean B
  • 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 11:21 AM

Thanks again for all the great information, it saves so much time & effort to have your expertise.

I'll post some pictures when i get it to a point where i can it out of the shed & into the light.

This is a great place to come where people such as yourselves have already been through the nuts & bolts of these tractors.

• boyscout862, Chopperhed and propane1 have said thanks

#9 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • Member No: 40532
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 12:25 PM

I have an LGT 145 that had a Homelite 42" deck on it when I bought it - fits perfectly. I have had to have it welded up over the years as sections rusted through. The Owner's Manual calls it Model AGT42D, UT 36037, but the label on the deck says UT36501, Ser. No. H02520083. Good luck.

#10 ChopRod OFFLINE  

ChopRod
  • Member No: 50072
  • 52 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:30 PM

Craigslist changed their search procedures awhile back which was nice. You can also set it up to receive notifications if someone posts a new ad in your area. Log onto SearchTempest.com and do various searches. Jacobsen, Jacobsen GT, Ford LGT or Ford garden tractor are key words I use.  Sometimes its a little out-of-date when it comes to Removed or Expired posts but does catch some posts missed otherwise. I've sold several decks the last couple of years from rough to excellent in condition. Sell quick- usually within a couple of weeks on CL. Personally the 42" work best for my yard. I do have a 50" thats been repaired but bearings are good and blades are pretty good. Too bad you're not closer to Ohio. Good luck in your search. Hope this helps. 

• Rock farmer and Chopperhed have said thanks

#11 Fordman1955 OFFLINE  

Fordman1955
  • Member No: 81902
  • 9 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 08:56 PM

I have several decks of various sizes. Some could have a new home. If you ever find your way to Indiana. ....