• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MikeTheGardenTractorGuy OFFLINE  

MikeTheGardenTractorGuy
  • Member No: 80760
  • 88 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:18 AM

I got this on Saturday. It came with the weights and plow. I put in a battery and found a drive belt that would fit. It started right up and drove around nicely. All I know is that it was made by Gilson and the original engine isn't on it. Other than that I'm clueless. can anyone tell me more about it? Perhaps what it might be worth?

IMG_2678.JPG IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2680.JPG IMG_2672.JPG IMG_2674.JPG

• Traill95 and Genem have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 05:25 PM

Heavier Gilson, looks pretty good. Manual trans?  Engine says twin on side, how you know not orig?  Seems right.   ON that blade tho, think there should be more guide or mounting on front of tractor to keep blade from pushing sideways with wrong forces. Many other brands just have a couple tough angle irons or similar hanging down in front, one on each side of main beam from the rear as it passes under the axle or grill. Keeps blade in middle and forces off the other mountings and linkage. Bet it pushes snow pretty good, but is one purpose tractor then if that is all you have for it.

• MikeTheGardenTractorGuy said thank you

#3 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,503 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 09:30 PM

My Gilson/Wards was an older single 16 hp, and the front blade mounted way different and lifted using a rod from the hydraulic cylinder, mine was manual tranny too,image.jpeg

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#4 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 06:41 AM

That is a verticle shaft Gilson of the '80s.  Engine appears to be a later replacement engine of the orginal style it was equipped with.  Those tractors are very light built compared to the tractors that came before.  That one at least still has the Peerless 2300 trans, later ones have an aluminum 5 speed.  We had the Wards twin to that tractor when I was a kid.  We couldn't keep the deck operational, spindles were non-greasable and it ate them like candy.  Don't want to be a downer, but there is not a lot of value in the Gilson machines.  I collect Gilson/MW, but they are overlooked machines and not many people are into them.  Gilson also has near zero parts availability for the Gilson built components.

#5 MikeTheGardenTractorGuy OFFLINE  

MikeTheGardenTractorGuy
  • Member No: 80760
  • 88 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 11:07 AM

Heavier Gilson, looks pretty good. Manual trans?  Engine says twin on side, how you know not orig?  Seems right.   ON that blade tho, think there should be more guide or mounting on front of tractor to keep blade from pushing sideways with wrong forces. Many other brands just have a couple tough angle irons or similar hanging down in front, one on each side of main beam from the rear as it passes under the axle or grill. Keeps blade in middle and forces off the other mountings and linkage. Bet it pushes snow pretty good, but is one purpose tractor then if that is all you have for it.

Yep its a manual transmission

All i'm going to use it for is pulling a wagon, and maybe plowing for fun. other than that it was a trade for something i wasn't able to sell. all in all im ok with having it around. i dont know if it isn't original, but that is what everyone seems to think. as far as the blade goes, i'm not sure that's the one that was on there. the guy i got it from jerry rigged everything so who knows

Edited by MikeTheGardenTractorGuy, March 17, 2016 - 01:37 PM.