• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 08:32 PM

Picked this up on eBay this morning. I have been wanting one since last summer. I had plowed our new garden twice last year but only could disc once with my BIL's single disc...he wanted it back right away  :mad2:  I had seen a single disc at an auction & one for sale in front of a yard but missed out on both. This one looks to be in great shape & still has the stickers on it. Another great thing is the seller is only about 45 minutes away & I'll be picking it up on Tuesday next week.

Tandem Disc.jpg

He said the PO bolted a 3 point hitch on it but it can be removed. Right now I only have the Sears SS15 with a manual hitch so I'll probably just tow it. 

Tandem Disc2.jpg

I want to take it apart, clean it up, prime & paint the original colors white & black. Just in case your wondering I will definitely mask over the stickers :D  

Edited by Sawdust, March 15, 2016 - 08:33 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, limebuzz and 9 others have said thanks

#2 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 08:50 PM

Nice find. It is hard to find the singles around here, let alone the tandems. The guy has them set up wrong though. The front set ( that currently has the 3pth on it is correct), but the rear set is on backwards. The center of the "vee" should be pointed forward ( the opposite of the front set). That is an easy enough change to make though. I would guess that it  will work just fine being towed.

Jim

• Alc, Sawdust, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 08:59 PM

Nice find. It is hard to find the singles around here, let alone the tandems. The guy has them set up wrong though. The front set ( that currently has the 3pth on it is correct), but the rear set is on backwards. The center of the "vee" should be pointed forward ( the opposite of the front set). That is an easy enough change to make though. I would guess that it  will work just fine being towed.

Jim

Yeah Jim I noticed the one backwards also. I'm thinking about temporary clamping a set of wheels on it so I can just flip it & tow it back to the garage. I have three GT's waiting for hitches right now all hydraulic so it will be nice to get one of these done.

• limebuzz, propane1, holdenboy1960 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 09:12 PM

Will probably want to move those disc gangs closer together in the center.  The two blades should almost touch each other.  Going to leave a wide gap in the center the way they are set now.  I run my single with the blades touching each other.

• Alc, Sawdust and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 10:10 PM

Nice tandems, they should help the garden.
  • Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#6 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 02:54 AM

Some thing that works great, David Bradley made a cultimulcher for there walkers, there about 30 inches wide, if you put the mounting pin up from the bottom and put a washer and hair pin through they make great seed beds pulling behind your favorite tractor.

• Alc, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 01:05 PM

... The front set ( that currently has the 3pth on it is correct), but the rear set is on backwards. The center of the "vee" should be pointed forward ( the opposite of the front set). ...

I don't think that is the case.

For a disk to work properly, the concave side of the disc needs to be facing the direction of pull.

If you look at the way the discs are cupped, the rear one is correct as when pulled forward it will cut the ground.

If you turn it around, the convex side of the disk will be facing forward and it won't cut.

The Brinly sleeve hitch tandem disk consists of two units, the DD100 front, and the DD101 rear.

It looks like the pic shows 2 DD100 units in tandem.

You can see the DD100 and DD101 units in this brochure:

http://gardentractor...61-brinly-pics/

• KennyP, Sawdust, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#8 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 01:26 PM

You are correct about the direction the plates should face, I did not actually notice that when I looked at the picture the first time. Generally though, they are set up so the first gang pushes the dirt outwards and the second gang pushes it inwards. If Sawdust turns the rear gang around backwards to what it is now, then switches the plate/axle assembly on the right, with the one on the left, I think it should work.

Jim

• limebuzz, MH81, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 04:08 PM

You are correct about the direction the plates should face, I did not actually notice that when I looked at the picture the first time. Generally though, they are set up so the first gang pushes the dirt outwards and the second gang pushes it inwards. If Sawdust turns the rear gang around backwards to what it is now, then switches the plate/axle assembly on the right, with the one on the left, I think it should work.

Jim

Right.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 05:47 PM

After doing some research I have to agree the one in the front is correct but the rear is backwards. Hear is one of many pics I found of the correct assembly. Thanks guys

img_3M43I63N45I95F45H3d4jd16f5e77e6e4186

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#11 glenford7502 OFFLINE  

glenford7502
  • Member No: 80830
  • 64 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 10:02 PM

I just purchased a cat 0 tandem disc and a cultivator. Will post pictures tomorrow. I also agree with everyone else that his back gang is backwards.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 08:07 PM

I picked my disc up on Tuesday...awesome seller brought it down to his work which saved me about an hour of travel time.

Tandem Disc3.jpg Tandem Disc4.jpg

I tried it out but too much against the performance right now. My garden had a lot of grass that rooted over the late fall & winter. I only plowed it twice & disc it once last. I never had my tiller yet so a lot of it just turned back into yard. The hook up to the Gt was just temporary & I never liked a gang that pivoted in the middle. It's hard to keep it weighted & seems like the back one just wants to flop around.

I ended up tilling it with my JC Penny that I got off of Craigslist a few months ago. Needless to say the tiller did a lot better than I did. These ole bones ached for two days....even with Ibuprofen.  :(

JC Penney Tiller 1.jpg Tandem Disc5.jpg

Here is what I want to do. I took one of the flat bars off & reversed it. This will bring them closer together with two bolts holding them together in the middle. The way the flat bars are factory bent one was higher than the other so I added three washers to space them. I will make a 1/2" spacer out of flat stock, drill & place that between them.  I also want to add a piece of angle iron on each side where the blue pieces are, I think all this will lock them together as one unit. This way will also allow me to weight it down better...maybe 2-4 cement blocks. Let me know what you think & your experiences with tandem disc. 

Tandem Disc6.jpg

• holdenboy1960 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#13 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 08:52 PM

Looks like you need to spin the rear gang of disc sets around, that is whats causing it to bounce around. The front gang should look about like this from the top )))((( and the rear gang should look about like this from the top ((())). The front gang throws the dirt toward the outside of the disc and the rear gang throws it back toward the center.

Edited by Leonard VanCamp, March 25, 2016 - 09:50 PM.

• KennyP, Sawdust and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, the rear gang is orientated correct, but the disc sets are on wrong. The left is on the right and the right is on the left.
The pivot in the middle won't affect it as bad that way IMHO.

These won't dig in like big discs. Their shear mass will cause them to dig in much more.

As designed... You want it to pivot, but not slop up and down and the weight of a couple of cement blocks should fix it

If you still need to rigidify it, maybe a set of something like shocks where the blue is instead? IDK.

Glad you got them home. :thumbs:
  • KennyP, Sawdust and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#15 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 08:47 AM

As others have said, You need to swap the discs on your rear gang from the left  to the right. This was what OldBuzzard meant when he said they were already facing the right way. It looks like it is just four bolts to remove to switch them, so it should be easy enough. As for adding the angle iron so they don't pivot, I would say go ahead and try it, see if it works for you. I would bolt the pieces on at first, then, if you don't like it it is easy enough to change it back.

I hear you on the sore muscles after running that front tine tiller, especially breaking up sod. 3 years ago I wanted to expand the garden here. After 1/2 hour of torture and very little results i took a break to rethink it. I ended up fencing it in, buying two young pigs and put them in there. End result was a tilled field and pork in the freezer. I have been raising two or 3 pigs a year since.

Jim

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, March 26, 2016 - 08:54 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you