• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 11:06 PM

I found a walk behind EZ-Rake on a local for sale site online. I called the guy he wasn't wanting to deal on his price, but although a little more than what I wanted to pay I decided I wanted it enough to pay his price. So me and the fiancé took off on the trek to go pick it up, I told her we would make a Friday date night out of it. .

We made it to the guys place and he fired the EZ-Rake up and it ran really good. After visiting for a bit , I told him I was planning on retrofitting the walk behind into a pull type for my GT. He mentioned he had a front mount one that wasn't complete and he had it in the scrap pile and he was planning on taking scrap in on Monday so he said if you want it he'd throw it in. To make a long story short he found the front mount EZ-Rake and the wheels that went on the front and by the time I left he had the original motor...A complete unit. But the original Briggs doesn't run.

Fast forward to tonight. I made some mounts to get it to fit onto my Ariens S-16H, stole the motor and drive chain off the walk behind and slapped it on the front mount. By the end of tonight i had a front mount EZ-Rake that is running (need to buy some teeth but wow they are expensive)

So I felt I got a good deal in the long run, and plan on getting original motor working and put it back on the front mount EZ-Rake, and sell the walk behind and got my EZ-Rake for free!!

Enjoy the pictures, and video(if it works)

9b43de447fec291fec7edfa501f0f0f5.jpg45c37ad9f7172ed307b913a01acc021c.jpg
7b8fe3a1127641dab3b86bdd7424e31b.jpgbed0121bd24c81180b6a9d446a878910.jpg
https://vimeo.com/159014357

I ran it a little in the yard tonight, and it just seemed like it brought up a lot of dirt/mud, I have never used a dethatcher before, when is the best time to use one? I live in Iowa so I have a yard with cool & warm season grasses.
a35b4a2d10ad2c66b30a08cfc8a27708.jpg

Oh I almost forgot the guy I bought it from had a '63 110 John Deere(63rd one off the line)...was sitting on a shelf in his garage and he said he doesn't get it out hardly ever. Was cool to see a '63 but too bad he just lets it sit. Lot of guys on this site would love that tractor in their garages!

Edited by 1964Deere, March 14, 2016 - 11:08 PM.

• MH81, Alc, CRFarnsworth and 6 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 11:52 PM

Wow, got a deal on a rake and a parts unit too.

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 12:09 AM

I have the same ez rake but mounted to my estate keeper. I love it and it works really well, you use them after your grass starts to grow for the season and is hearty enough to handle some abuse. The tines are pricey but available in large quantity boxes for far cheaper, I think the we're like 2 dollars each sold single but if bought in quantities of a hundred they are 63 dollars total, big savings. If you want I am in the process of changing mine out so when I am done if I have a bunch left I could send them to you. Not sure how many I will have left but pm me in a week or so to remind me and I will let you know.
  • limebuzz and MH81 have said thanks

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 06:55 AM

Great find!  One of my favorite and most effective attachments.  

Eric pretty much nailed everything...when to use, and how to buy the tines.  Adjust the depth so it has a light impact to the turf, and then you can apply more pressure from there after seeing the results.  I think you're a bit early for running it.

Considering how long the tines last, I don't find them to be that outrageous at all.  There are places online where they can be over $3/ea though, so avoid anything over the $2.50 mark.  When I let go of my first E-Z Rake, I made a huge mistake (mistake #1 was selling it in the first place).  I had a box of 300 nos tines with rubber sleeves that had come along with the rake, and I simply let them go with it   :wallbanging:   Every rake I've had since has needed some.  :(

• MH81 said thank you

#5 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 07:14 AM

I have the same ez rake but mounted to my estate keeper. I love it and it works really well, you use them after your grass starts to grow for the season and is hearty enough to handle some abuse. The tines are pricey but available in large quantity boxes for far cheaper, I think the we're like 2 dollars each sold single but if bought in quantities of a hundred they are 63 dollars total, big savings. If you want I am in the process of changing mine out so when I am done if I have a bunch left I could send them to you. Not sure how many I will have left but pm me in a week or so to remind me and I will let you know.

Do you remember where/when you bought them? That seems like a good price!

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 10:24 AM

We have got a little rain each day since Saturday. You would likely turn up a lot of mud. I think you would want it dry enough your not tearing up roots of healthy green grass,

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 05:04 PM

I bought them last year, bluebird rings a bell but I could be wrong. They don't have the sleeves but I just make my own out of tubing works pretty well.word of advice, if your grass isn't thick enough you will do more harm than good. You only want to lift the dead thatch layer that is starving the roots of nutrients by absorbing everything, if you see ground between patches of grass your lawn needs seed and time before you use a dethatcher. An aerator is a better tool for getting a fuller healthier lawn as it allows the roots to get the nutrients needed. Good luck.

#8 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:17 AM

What is the purpose of the sleeve? Are they needed!

#9 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 07:51 PM

The sleeve stops debris from getting in the spring and stops said debris from wearing the coating off which then causes corrosion and will eventually lead to a failed tine. Just added comfort when tines can cost a lot when needing to replace them more frequently than necessary.

#10 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted April 16, 2016 - 09:51 PM

I have a 3hp and a 5 hp EZ-Rakes

the 3hp one is for parts for the 5hp

I had an Estate-rake given to me, I am using it more the the EZ-Rake.

I like the Estate-rake because it wind rows the thatch. and I can use it for raking leaves and small branches from the yard

and it it not as hard on the grass in the spring

the EZ-rake does a better job on creeping charlie

#11 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 604 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 05:07 AM

Bought mine here for $0.73

http://www.sourceapa...earch=539091111

• 1964Deere said thank you

#12 1964Deere OFFLINE