9 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Have a Bolens G16XT with a Briggs Opposed twin.  Model is 402-437  Type is 0131-01  My amp gauge does not register anything, + or - .  Have not had any luck finding a wiring diagram for this engine/tractor set up.  It has an external regulator on the top of the left head tin work.  I am not sure which wire is the charging wire from the regulator and where it is to go on the rest of the electrical.  Any Ideas?

#2 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 08:29 PM

Look in manuals under Briggs engines and find this manual /section 7 may find what you need   Briggs and Stratton opposed cylinder repair manual pdf

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 09:15 PM

Or... Post some pictures of the regulator. Many are marked AC--B+--AC on the pins. From that we can suggest some measurements with a Multimeter.

#4 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 944 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 09:30 PM

The red wire is for the charging. Blue wire is the kill wire.

The wiring diagram is in the parts manual here: http://gardentractor...2-parts-manual/
  • DougT said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 07:22 AM

Look in manuals under Briggs engines and find this manual /section 7 may find what you need   Briggs and Stratton opposed cylinder repair manual pdf

The red wire is for the charging. Blue wire is the kill wire.

The wiring diagram is in the parts manual here: http://gardentractor...2-parts-manual/

Thanks for lead guys.  I have the manual you mentioned but they do not show the wires from the engine that match mine.  Neither show a voltage regulator, which I think it is.  Also there are 5 wires from the engine into a loom to the dash components, Red, Red/Yellow, Black, Blue, White.  3 of those come from the regulator but don't remember right off which ones.  Will get a photo later this morning and track them down to where they go.  Not sure this engine is the original either as the PO's son was the one who took the $$ a helped load it and he knew nothing about it.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 09:27 AM

Regulator.JPG   Rng Right Top.JPG   5 Wires.JPG

First photo is the regulator?  The wires are to the front of the engine.  could not find any marking on top of the side of the unit.  Some real small cast print at the bottom which I assumed was the mfg. information. 

Second photo is the top right of the engine.  There is a small black wire going under the tin work to ??

Third photo is the 5 wires that go into the loom back to the dash area.  I was wrong on the colors I mentioned earlier.  correct colors are Red, Purple or Violet,Black, White and Blue.

The Purple activates the front clutch.  The Red/Yellow activate the starter Solenoid.  I did not trace down any of the wires as I would have to remove the battery, etc. and did not have time to do that yet.  The enlargement in the Red wire from the regulator is a round connector, no diode on this engine like on the L heads.

The amp meter does not move in either direction from off to on to start to run.  I have changed out the meter to 2 others meters with the same results.  If either wire is removed from the amp meter there is not power to the switch and the solenoid will not activate.  From this I am 90% sure the meter is good.

Edited by chieffan, March 15, 2016 - 09:31 AM.

#7 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 09:56 AM

In your pic#1 that's the rectifier / regulator, the 2 yellow wires are AC generated by the stator charge coil, the red is the DC to the battery through the amp meter. in Pic#2, the black wire is the kill wire to the magnetron's, it is grounded when the ignition switch is off. I believe there should be a fuse somewhere on the red wire. 

• LPBolens, ClassicBolens, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 01:05 PM

In your pic#1 that's the rectifier / regulator, the 2 yellow wires are AC generated by the stator charge coil, the red is the DC to the battery through the amp meter. in Pic#2, the black wire is the kill wire to the magnetron's, it is grounded when the ignition switch is off. I believe there should be a fuse somewhere on the red wire. 

OK, so with the engine running at near full throttle I should get 12 -14V DC at the Red wire at the plug near the rectifier/regulator.  If not, I have a bad charging coil.  I have a breaker off the - side of the amp meter. rather than a fuse.  Even if the charge coil is bad should I not get a negative reading at the amp meter when the switch is turned on or starter is activated?  The PTO switch is good as it will not engage the starter if it is turned on. 

Will see what I have at that red wire a little later. 
Thanks for the information Bud W.

#9 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 02:02 PM

With the engine running, you should measure about 20-24 volts AC across the two yellow wires. That gets rectified and regulated into the 12-14 volts DC on the red wire. That then goes through the circuit breaker to the amp meter and to the battery. If you don't have the 20-24 volts AC into the rectifier / regulator , the stator or the wiring from the stator is bad. If you get the 20-24 volts of AC but no 12-14 volts of DC out, the rectifier / regulator is no good.

• LPBolens, ClassicBolens and Paulgo have said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 03:12 PM

Thanks again for the help on this.  Will try and get that checked out tomorrow.  Got rained out, or should I say IN this afternoon.  Appreciate that information.