• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 02:44 PM

Bill,

I have a Standard pre-Monarch that is in real nice original condition.  The serial number is 42371. As far as electric starting systems without a charging system go, we have to remember that the factory starting system on a Gravely Tee Head engine had no charging system, and they used this through 1976.

Cliff

That's interesting, Cliff. I don't think I've ever seen a pre-Monarch with a 5 digit number. Any chance of getting a pic of the tag?

I did find out the number of the other tractor with this style of wheel has a serial number of 3278 so it isn't far off this one. There have been a few of us that have tried some different theories about dating the early numbers but in my opinion they don't fit every instance and these early tractors are one of them. A 5 digit serial on a pre-Monarch would really throw a monkey wrench into the latest one!

• Lauber1 said thank you

#17 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 334 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 03:57 PM

Doug,

I risked life and limb crawling into the back shed for these pictures.  Is the wrench on the crossbar original?

Cliff

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0876.JPG
  • IMG_0877.JPG
  • IMG_0878.JPG
  • IMG_0879.JPG
  • IMG_0881.JPG

• DougT, LPBolens and Alc have said thanks

#18 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • Member No: 72710
  • 140 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Good news Cliff! I finally found some time, cleaned the carb, and it runs like a dream! I`m having trouble getting the video of it onto Youtube, but if anyone will be at Orange, Mass. this next Saturday or Zagrays in Colchester, Conn. in July, you`ll see it! Now to see if I can get it on Youtube and on here so everyone can see it!

• LPBolens, Alc and Clifford Bridgford have said thanks

#19 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted June 20, 2016 - 07:22 PM

Glad to hear you got it running. Even if it isn't original, it sure beats cranking it!

• Rustysteele said thank you