LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 04:43 PM

Remember when I said that I hardly ever have trouble with my Ford truck? Yeah!

The fuel pump went out. I suppose that's no biggie, happens to every one. Chevy, Dodge, whatever. Well, who was the dumbie that thought taking the pump off the engine and sticking it in the gas tank under the bed of the truck was a brilliant idea??!! Just take the bed off the truck they said. Just 6 bolts holding it on they said. Only thing is those bolts, which are only T50 Torx by the way, are rusted into one  immovable unit. I used a 3/8 breaker bar and snapped the bit off. Then I went and got a air rachet and an impact bit and snapped that off. Then I treated the bolts to trans fluid/acetone and got a 1/2"impact bit and a 4ft. 3/4" breaker bar and snapped that off. On the advice of a truck mechanic, I have gotten a Milwaukee 7" grinder to grind the heads off the bolts. If that snaps the grinder, I'm going to f&@X#g torch the truck. (Don't tell me to drop the tank. It is full of fuel.)

• Gtractor, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 04:53 PM

For 2 days now, I've been trying to take a shock absorber nut off.  I tried PB Blaster and am now using a nutsplitter but it is slow and painfull. The work area is so tight that I can only turn the splitter bolt 10* at a time. When taking a head off like you are doing, I've drilled through the bolt head and then just driven the remaining bolt out. Good Luck, Rick

• LilysDad said thank you

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 05:56 PM

I am pretty sure that all the manufacturers have the pumps in the tank now. That is where the pump on my 98 GMC is. If you have a welder, you could try welding a large nut onto the head of the torx bolt and use something stronger than the bit to remove it. I did that with a torx bolt with a messed up head that was holding on a tailgate hinge. I pulled the box off a late 90's Dodge last year for a friend. I think 2 bolts out of 8 came out and the rest sheared the heads off.

Jim

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 06:01 PM

The trick is to start lubing the bolts before the fuel pump goes out. It really speeds the whole process up, Rich.
  • KennyP, LilysDad, toppop52 and 1 other said thanks

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 06:02 PM

A smart person would drive the truck around till the tank is empty and then change the pump.

• Gtractor, KennyP and Cat385B have said thanks

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 06:21 PM

A smart person would drive the truck around till the tank is empty and then change the pump.

Ummmhh . . .     how does that work????

• boyscout862, UncleWillie and petrj6 have said thanks

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 06:37 PM

I never take the bed loose. I think that is far harder than just dropping the tank. Most of the time the straps are about ready to go anyway and need replaced.

• boyscout862 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 06:51 PM

Ummmhh . . .     how does that work????

I have an 8.1 liter gas engine and it will go through a tank of gas in 8 hours without the engine even running.I keep forgetting that most vehicles do not have that advantage. 

• Gtractor said thank you

#9 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:04 PM

If you have a bed liner in the truck you could just cut a hole in the bed floor take the pump out and replace it then put a patch over the hole then the bed liner back in and viola done!!!  of course you have to be careful cutting the hole rite over the tank but I have done this two or three times on older trucks.

Pete

• LilysDad and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:13 PM

Man smart has nothing to do with it! You obviously missed that part of Murphys Law. The pump never goes out till you have just filled the tank!

• Username, Titus, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:14 PM

Yes, bed off is the easiest now days with all the lines and fuel vapor recovery stuff to mess with and those darn straps and bolts. Usually just have to lift up the side with tank under it, not really remove all the bed clear off. You will have wires and such for lights back there to remove if you take bed all the way off. Second phase of the wonderment is gonna be when you go to BUY the darn pump and it is hundreds of dollars.  Used to have $$ steps up to a complete pump, starting with filters, then motors, then completes.  Think now days pretty much a cheapy plastic complete pump is all that is offered and is best bet anyway. THEN, there is the top seal method.  ONe time they used a ring and poured a tar over it to seal, a mess to dig off and hope you get ring off w/out breaking it. Then maybe some lines twist off, hoses break off cause rotten, things like that. Many now days have quick-disconnect fittings and you need those special tools to release, don't do w/out them, they will break.  My age and complication of new stuff makes it easier to just go to a garage and pay the money and have NO hassles. 

• jpackard56 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:15 PM

Besides....how you gonna run around and empty tank WHEN the PUMP ISN'T working!!  That is part missed here on that post! :wallbanging:

• LilysDad said thank you

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 08:04 PM

Last time I had to do one like this I just cut the bolt heads off, took the bed off, then I used a pipe wrench to take the bolts out. Those torx bolts are terrible.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#14 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Besides....how you gonna run around and empty tank WHEN the PUMP ISN'T working!!  That is part missed here on that post! :wallbanging:

John, we may need to use the 'sarcasm horn' as your avatar....
  • rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, Username and 2 others have said thanks

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 10:08 PM

Not a pickup but the fuel pump went out of my '97 Dodge Intrepid a few years back.  On those you open the trunk,  roll back the carpet exposing the access plate.  Remove 4 small nuts and BINGO!!  Theres the pump lookin right at-cha.  Blow the dirt off, remove two gas lines. Turn the lock ring and lift the pump out.  Now that I done it once I could do it in under 10 minutes. 

On a more related note.  My brother drives a chebby pickup.  He only has 4 bolts to hold the bed on and they have anti-sieze on them.

:poke:  

• boyscout862 and retired1990 have said thanks