JD 425 All wheel steer with 2000 hours

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johndeere720 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 80721
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 11:41 AM

How do the hydrostatic transmissions and AWS features hold up to 2000 hours of use?  The machine runs and drives OK, but what should a person look for when evaluating condition of the transmission and steering mechanisms?   Would you say that a regular 2 wheel steer JD 425 would be more robust/stronger for medium duty 3 point use? 

Thanks< Mark

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,756 Thanks
  • 4,262 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Those early AWS units were nothing but trouble.  If it has 2K hours it has done a ton of mowing and I would be cautious. 

• Username said thank you

#3 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 08:10 PM

I have been on a few with 600 hours and you had to chase the steering.They are a pretty robust setup but a little bit of wear in all those joints add up to a lot of steering play.The rear hub bearings also seem to wear out prematurely.

#4 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 428 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 07:16 PM

I had AWS with 1600 hours and yes you kind of need a hearders liscence to operate it.  If you keep the linkages tight it wasn't to bad.  When you turn feels kind of funny when your back end goes out the other way.  You get used to it.  If it was the only tractor you used you would never notice it.  The AWS always felt wierd for the first bit after running a straight tractor.   If you have a lot of oblects in your yard you will like it.  The 425 are a good tractor. Keep the linkage tight the nuts do lossen some.  

The hydralics / transmission will hold up to lot more hours than that.  My brother in law has a straight 455 (Same hydralic / trans system) that he has used mowing and tilling now has 2800 hours.  Trans has not given any issues.