skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:20 AM

I saw the dangest thing yesterday, and my dad said it has been going on every time it warms above 50° this spring, seems the honey bees( I think that's what they are) are eating or doing something with the chicken grain and bird seed my dad puts out???? Never ever saw any such thing before?? What would cause this??

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160313_130947.jpg

• Alc and Lmiller3358 have said thanks

#2 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:43 AM

Oh I will have to take a picture of my back yard.....Yes those are honey bees. They look healthy and active to. You can tell when they are lethargic their bellys are on the ground and they sit still. Hope its not a false spring for them.

I took my dogs in yesterday because they will eat the bees, don't ask me how they dont get stung . I have been sutting a lot of pine and they love the pine dust. 

• skyrydr2, Lmiller3358 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#3 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,320 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 04:44 PM

Oh I will have to take a picture of my back yard.....Yes those are honey bees. They look healthy and active to. You can tell when they are lethargic their bellys are on the ground and they sit still. Hope its not a false spring for them.

I took my dogs in yesterday because they will eat the bees, don't ask me how they dont get stung . I have been sutting a lot of pine and they love the pine dust. 

I had a female Lab mix that would eat bee's also !

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 06:56 PM

Glad you've got some around. That s good news.
  • skyrydr2 said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:21 PM

Yes that looks like 3 band Italian Bees, Great producers and normally docile to work!  They will make honey from whatever they can find that will produce sugar. Looks like a lot of ground corn in that feed.  Kind of perilous since the chickens will eat the Bees as well as the feed.

Since it is early for any plants to produce pollen this would be the easiest source, and they will take advantage of the opportunity.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 14, 2016 - 07:28 PM.

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#6 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,858 Thanks
  • 3,195 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:52 PM

Our German Shepherd had a huge hate on for bees, hornets, anything that sounded aggressive. She'd catch them in the air or swat with her paws and eat them--- never seemed to get stung.
I wonder if there is enough moisture in the ground and in the grain your dad puts out to ferment or activate the sugars in the grain. That would attract bees, especially this time of year when there isn't much bee food around.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 08:19 PM

I remember my old Norwegian Elkhound hated bees and wasps as well. But he was always getting stung. He'd come up to the house with his nose or snout swelled up. He'd go rub his face in mud and never seemed to bother him.

#8 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 03:07 AM

Chickens are annoyed with them but don't eat them for some reason.. Which is a good thing, folks about 1/2 mile away have honey bees, must be some of theirs? I'm very glad to see them, as they will be key to my produce garden :-)
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 09:41 AM

Chickens are annoyed with them but don't eat them for some reason.. Which is a good thing, folks about 1/2 mile away have honey bees, must be some of theirs? I'm very glad to see them, as they will be key to my produce garden :-)

They will fly 3-4 miles to gather pollen.  The first year I kept bees, the state had done a lot of work on the highway about 3 miles from my house and had a lot of sweet clover in the reseeding mix. The honey O got was almost crystal clear and the best I had ever eaten.

• skyrydr2 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 07:31 AM

20160316_112950.jpg

This is just one small area .... but we got bees everywhere

These are owned by a neighbor that lives about 3 houses down.

I have a jack rustle and she is fun to watch as she runs lunges and changes directions while in the air trying to catch the bees ...my beagle on the other hand will never catch one unless it lands on his tongue 

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,485 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 08:52 AM

Maybe they are brewing up a batch of corn whiskey honey, just needed some corn to start their mash :smilewink: