10 replies to this topic

#1 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 08:33 PM

i just received a new starter, and it does not work. Blue Sparks and a little smoke came out when I tried it.
This my fault for not checking with the seller to make sure it was not made in China.
Where can a guy find a good starter for my tec engines. I bought two , one for the 1556 and the other for the h14. I did not open the second one after the first one failed. I'm sending them back to Michigan and the seller can go take a long walk off of a short dock!!!
Any ideas would be great . I seem to have a problem find a decent starter. I see that you get what you pay for!
  • donoriscem said thank you

#2 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 962 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 01:18 AM

The OEM Tecumseh starters are still available new. Part # 33835. They were never the strongest starters to begin with, but the Chinese knock offs are much worse. They are pricey though, as you can easily buy 3 made in China junkers for the price of one OEM. STENS also has an aftermarket mega-fire replacement that is decent, but costs about the same money as OEM. Sadly, the OEM starters are likely made in China as well. To add insult to injury, there is always this disclaimer attached "electrical parts are non-returnable".

Whatever you decide to go with, be sure to sand or grind off the paint at the mounting points of the new starter to ensure you get a good ground. Never crank the engine for more than 20-30 seconds. Let it cool for at least a minute before trying again. These starters get hot quick and can burn the brushes up in no time.
  • Bolens 1000, LPBolens, sodisr and 1 other said thanks

#3 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for the info. I have seen the mega fire one , but was afraid to pay the price and find out it was crap.
As far as OEM ones, not sure where to find them, some sites say OEM replacement , but that does not mean it's OEM. I may have found one site but they were almost 200 bucks.

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:51 AM

Check with an electric motor repair shop as they may be able to repair your old ones.  Have had a couple of mine done with new brushes and bushings.

• Rainier said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 08:08 AM

The china knockoffs ones are junk, I sold an OEM starter to a guy a few months ago and he is pretty happy with it.

Send me a PM for details if your interested

#6 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 09:43 AM

I too had looked long and hard for a Good starter for my 1556.  I couldn't find a USA one.  I bought a middle of the road one from a reputable dealer..  The gear spun right off the end of the starter shaft...  Had to repair a brand new starter.. That's just wrong.. But,, Knock on wood,, It has been working for about 2 yr. now...   I guess it's just a crap-shoot..  Good luck and keep us posted...

• Rainier said thank you

#7 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:15 PM

Ya I had a new one two years ago and it did the same thing. It sucks when you have to fix a new starter.
Today the doc fixed me up. A little hard on the pocket but worth it. Brian and Rick have been great. Thanks again guys!!,!,
  • Bolens 1000 and sodisr have said thanks

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 06:04 PM

Well if you find a new Tecumseh starter buy it!

Went to order them today and got the dreaded words NLA :mad2:

Nothing in local warehouses or at the main Tecumseh plant :( Only way you'll find more is NOS

• ClassicBolens said thank you

#9 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 962 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 06:48 PM

Well if you find a new Tecumseh starter buy it!
Went to order them today and got the dreaded words NLA :mad2:
Nothing in local warehouses or at the main Tecumseh plant :( Only way you'll find more is NOS

We'll that stinks. Last one I ordered was probably close to a year ago. I'll have to check to see if there are any left. I haven't tried the Rotary 9990 in years, so I don't know if they're any better than they were years ago.
  • LPBolens said thank you

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 07:31 PM

I may have got the last one in January , after that quantity was zero all over the east coast and even got confirmation from the main Plant today they are NLA

Its only going to get worse for tecumseh since they stopped making engines in 2014 :wallbanging: :mad2: :shoot2:

• LPBolens said thank you

#11 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 08:58 PM

Seems there are still a lot of running engines. That a bummer!