6 replies to this topic

#1 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 08:07 PM

I just replaced the deck belt on my backup rider and I put a new Oem belt on and now for some reason my blades spin when the deck is fully raised, meaning the tension should not spin the blades. This is one of those mowers where the deck height lever also engages the blades as soon as it goes down to the first spot from the top. Any idea what would cause this? Does the belt need to stretch? I'm wondering if there is an adjustment somewhere I cannot see. It's very simple, no tensioner pulley or anything like that it goes from the motor pulley to the 2 pulleys on the deck and that's it. Thanks in advance guys!

#2 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 08:05 AM

After digging in deeper last night I noticed that there is a threaded rod that than can adjust this.  It's under the shifter knob plate between your legs when sitting on the mower.  I adjusted it fully to relieve as much tension as possible, the deck belt is very loose when in the disengage position, however as soon as i fire it up, about 5 seconds it'll start to spin and they'll take off again!  I'm now wondering if my blade brake pads or the blade brakes on the spindles are grabbing like they shoudl.  I can't imagine with a new belt taht i need to have the adjustement all the way out to make this work.  I confirmed belt with mtd, it's the right part.

Edited by rippinryno, March 15, 2016 - 08:10 AM.

#3 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 05:09 PM

Does it engage properly now that it is adjusted out all the way? I have found sometimes the belt keepers need to be adjusted also. Maybe move them out away from the pulley just a bit. If you have blade brakes, they might be worn or need adjustment or the spring is weak or broken.

We don't know what model machine you have.

Edited by VTXrider, March 15, 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#4 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:32 PM

It still engages fine I've ordered new pads so we will see. Model 13ac650f700

Edited by rippinryno, March 16, 2016 - 08:33 PM.

#5 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 06:59 AM

The manual for this machine does not show blade brakes. Wondering if yours has a different deck installed.

Edited by VTXrider, March 17, 2016 - 06:59 AM.

#6 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 07:53 AM

The blade brakes are attached to the frame/body and there are metal discs that sit right on top of the pulleys that come in contact with the pads.  the pads do make contact when the deck is in the raised position, but wondering if they aren't pushing hard enough on it due to being worn.

here is a couple screenshots of the part, number 32.so rry it's sideways.

ehg294.jpg

21mau5z.jpg

#7 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted March 17, 2016 - 11:29 AM

I have not seen that setup before. Just for interest, could you put some washers on the mounting bolts to move the pads down a bit? I would think a lot depends on the lift handle raising the deck to it's stops under the frame. Maybe the lift linkage is worn enough that does not happen.