4 replies to this topic

#1 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 07:08 PM

My MTD project went dead in the water so I figured it was time to pull my MF10 in the garage and do some work on it before garden season gets here. I noticed that once she started, the variable drive shifter felt "crunchy". The drive needed adjusting anyway so that would be a good time to check out what was causing the stiffness in the lever. Here's what was making the crunchy sound.

SAM_1599.JPG

What you see there is just a fraction of what was in there, most of the heap landed on top of the deck. No damage done and the variable drive is now lubed and adjusted. There is however a very upset squirrel in the neighborhood.

• limebuzz, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 5 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 07:12 PM

It is amazing where they can get into to squirrel their nuts.
  • MolonLabe said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 07:50 PM

A good place to put dryer sheet this fall.  I stuff them in every corner, gap, hole and any place else I think the little critters can get in.  Works for me and cheap too.  $1/box a Dollar Store.

• limebuzz, propane1 and MolonLabe have said thanks

#4 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:54 AM

Moth Balls or dryer sheets do work. I was thinking of making a cage I can bold under my engine shroud that will hold 2 or 3 moth balls , I have had to take a perfectly good running engines apart to get the nest before, then yet I got a few perfectly running engines thats to them as well. Seems that most tractors come with cheese flavored wiring. 

• MolonLabe said thank you

#5 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 09:40 AM

I haven't had mice problems in a long time, knock on wood, and I was surprised that a squirrel had made a cache in one of the tractors. At least he wasn't interested in the wiring. Mice are some nasty critters to clean up after. I'll have to try the mothballs and dryer sheets, maybe mothballs tied up in a dryer sheet and see if it works on squirrels.