2 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 11:49 PM

Does anybody know how to purge/prime the Sunstrand/Dana 20 hydro setups used in the later Sears Suburban hydro's ? The pumps and drives are different than most. The pump is stand alone and mounts in the tractor frame and is belt driven. Then to hydro lines run to the hydro drive motor mounted on the Dana 20 rear axle. This setup is in a 1978 Roper 18T garden tractor. This tractor has sat outside for 15 years and the hydro was empty except for some water and rust. It was stuck so I pulled the hydro pump and hydro drive motor apart and cleaned it all up inside then put it all back together,now it won't pump. I even pulled the hydro filter off to verify and it isn't pumping a thing. At this point I'm just getting the tractor back together and I'm turning the engine over with the starter ( With the plug out ) to check to see if its pumping.

Attached Thumbnails

• roper 8 24 2015.jpg 8.jpg
  • roper 8 24 2015.jpg 7.jpg
  • roper 18t hydro 3 2 2016.jpg

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 11:01 AM

Can you fill the filter and lines with fluid before installing? Any chance the check valves, if present are activated.? I'm not familiar with the 2 piece hydro setup.When I had my JD317 apart, I completely drained the hydro sump and when I reassembled it I was able to fill the filter and it seemed to pick up the prime without issues. 

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#3 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 01:42 PM

Brian after talking to people who way more about hydro's and hydraulics than I,it looks like I made a serious rookie mistake. I reassembled everything dry. I should have coated everything,and now the pump can't get suction to prime.