• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 08:37 PM

So basically there is no such thing as original ? If you change the oil it is no longer original? Original air in the tires?

That would have to be the case, unless the definition of original is changed. I'm not trying to be an ass about it, I understand how we all use the term, but if you change anything, it's no longer original. Stock yes, but not original, I've also seen the term "as original" applied a few times, that may work. I have no problem using the word original applied to perfect restoration, I've done it, but it's not technically accurate.
  • johndeereelfman, propane1, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#32 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:50 AM

Some interesting points brought up here.

I have one tractor that I've always referred to as " original " but after reading thru this post, I can see that it actually is not " original ".

The tractor is this 1948 Ridemaster that I picked up a few years ago.

The previous owner was still using it to till up his garden when I bought it and as you can see, it shows the 65 years of use that it has had.

51a.JPG    51b.JPG

Now it does still have some of the factory paint and you can still see some of the factory decals and it seams to still have the factory tires.

51c.JPG   51d.JPG

However some one along the line has added a steering wheel spinner that I really don't think was ever a factory option.

Although it is possible that the dealer may have had a display rack of these spinners for sale and setting on the counter when the first owner purchased this tractor.

51e.JPG

Also, a unique " tool box " was added that I know for certain was not a factory option.

413.JPG

So with all these considerations taken into account, I'm going to now refer to this tractor as un-restored  instead of original.

Edited by jdcrawler, March 21, 2016 - 11:01 AM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#33 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 11:16 AM

I would call it original still. No one said that the factory paint had to be perfectly intact to be original, and previous owner modifications are not always a crime either, some just add to the wonder.
  • jdcrawler and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#34 Good2beAllis OFFLINE  

Good2beAllis
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 80639
  • 63 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:31 PM

Before I go any further I must say I truly love this hobby. I think that not only are the older tractors better built but better looking and hard workers. But some folks act as if we are dealing with unmolested or concourse restored collector cars. My tractors aren't nor will ever be worth what I spend on them. It's not about the monetary value. It's about taking something that still exist after 50 years and getting it back to working condition. Maybe even better than new cosmetic condition if that's one likes. But to me it's more about the satisfaction of seeing what my own two hands and little hard work out in my shop can accomplish. To me that is a fealing that can't be bought.
  • propane1 said thank you

#35 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 04:16 PM

My tractors aren't nor will ever be worth what I spend on them.. But to me it's more about the satisfaction of seeing what my own two hands and little hard work out in my shop can accomplish. To me that is a feeling that can't be bought.

This is what makes it fun . My brother was saying how I sure put a lot of work into my tractors . I responded that I didn't work one minute on them - I am playing .

Work is something you have to do and usually don't enjoy much .  

• jdcrawler said thank you

#36 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 04:30 PM

This is what makes it fun . My brother was saying how I sure put a lot of work into my tractors . I responded that I didn't work one minute on them - I am playing .

Work is something you have to do and usually don't enjoy much .  

I agree 100 percent !

• MGP59DB said thank you