Ford Single Stage Auger Removal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ronb36 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 80905
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 04:23 PM

I've been watching this forum for a while and have learned a lot. I have recently picked up a '74 LGT165 and a Single Stage Thrower (09JC9795). I'm looking to remove the Auger so I can restore. I'm looking for advise on removing the Auger Shaft Bearing Assembly.

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,739 Thanks
  • 2,159 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 05:54 PM

Ron,       :welcometogttalk:  Someone who knows what to do will be along shortly .  The guys here like pics so,,, warm up the camera and post a few if you can.  Enjoy the site .

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 ronb36 OFFLINE  

• 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Here is a picture of the thrower and the side bearings.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 08:01 PM

Welcome to GTT. Try our Manuals Section for the info that you need. This might have the correct info  http://gardentractor...ge-snow-blower/   it sees like you need to remove the chain guard first.  Good Luck, Rick

#5 ronb36 OFFLINE  

• 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Rick. I was able to download the manual and also a parts list earlier today. I removed the chain guards and the chain. I've removed the three bearing nuts but the bearings are pressed onto the auger shaft. My thought is to hammer the shaft about 1/4 inch and then get a puller under the bearing to remove one side at a time. Not sure if this is the best method.

Front panels are also removed to repair one of the supports.

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 621 Thanks
  • 1,213 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 08:30 PM

There are set screws on the flange of those bearings, in that little hole in the picture. Loosen them, lube up the shaft well with PT Blaster and you should be able to get the bearing off quite easily. 

#7 sap happens OFFLINE  

sap happens
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 70453
  • 17 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 11:18 PM

Be careful trying to get the auger off. I am repairing an old Jacobsen snow blower similar to this one. If you strip a nut of a screw you it is next to impossible to get off. Some of the parts on the snowblower they do not make anymore, so be carful not to loose of damage any parts. Hope everything goes ok for you. That is a nice find and it is nice that you are taking the time to fix it up!

Edited by sap happens, March 12, 2016 - 11:19 PM.

#8 craigmary1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82134
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Don't even try and use a hammer to bang shaft thru bearing, u will spread the steel shat into tge bearing. Dont try and use a bearing puller unless u can contact the inner race of the bearing. If u pull on the outter bearing race u will damage the inner race ways. Use a condenser fan hvac puller that will secure to the out side flange with the set screws and the puller has a center bolt that will hit the shat and pull the bearing off with out damaging the bearing. Good luck