• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 1,210 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 12:58 PM

The last couple of years I have plowed,then disced my garden then have my brother in law come out with his dedicated C160 hydro tiller tractor and till my garden to get it really fine. The few years before that I just plowed and disced my garden and planted. How many others plow,disc,then use a tiller ? How many just plow and disc ? How many just use a tiller ? I know soil varies but I'm curious what everyone does.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,672 Thanks
  • 4,220 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 02:00 PM

I don't garden, but mon & dad do.

I plow their garden in the fall, and then till it in the spring.

They have a rear tine tiller that they use as needed, and have had a very productive garden......when Mother Nature cooperates.

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,669 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 02:02 PM

I like the tilling for the fine nature of the material when done. I have read, however, that it may be better to not till or to till lightly unless you're working in compost or some other materials

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,875 Thanks
  • 3,111 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 02:03 PM

My gardens were tilled last fall, so I really only need to till to get ready for planting. But I will do all three some times for seat time. I find disking compacts the soil a lot. A lot of weight is needed for disks to work good, I think away. A new garden, I would plow and disk in the fall and let sit over winter, then till in spring.
I have read some where that it is better to plow and disk only, their claim is, that if you till, you kill the worms and good bugs in the ground. Every body has their opinion.

Edited by propane1, March 12, 2016 - 02:08 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,758 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 02:44 PM

We have 6 Pygmy goats so I clean their barn out in the fall and spread it over the garden.  That is plowed in that same fall.  I ran over it with the Gt and disk this morning before the rain started.  That leveled it up decent and will till before planting, for the row crop.  the vine type or climbing crops wont need any more ground work.  Potatoes will go in a high ridge pulled up with hoe.

#6 bbuckler OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59269
  • 2,015 Thanks
  • 1,846 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 03:08 PM

We got hard soil here so I plow,disc and then tiller to make it more fine. I think I will try a cover crop this year.

• rustyoldjunk, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,308 Thanks
  • 3,728 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 03:53 PM

I till because I didn't get a plow yet. I usually am mixing in compost of leaves and grass. The one year the garden was well worked, so I probed and measured the loose dirt. I had 9 inches of fluffy topsoil.

Edited by shorty, March 12, 2016 - 03:53 PM.

#8 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,261 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 06:36 PM

I used to till in manure and fine chopped leaves in the fall and then till again in the spring. I stopped doing the spring tilling so all the critters in the soil can get back where they want to be. Last yr was my first try at this and the garden seemed to do better. I'll just have to see how it does over a few seasons.

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#9 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 67204
  • 279 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 07:45 PM

I used to fall plow and would still do this if I had flat or bottom ground but with the slope of my garden I experienced too much erosion so I switched to tilling in the spring only.

• rustyoldjunk and Alc have said thanks

#10 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 619 Thanks
  • 1,213 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 08:45 PM

I plow it under in the fall and till in the spring. 

I read somewhere that too much tilling just raises weed seeds more........not sure what to think about that one, but I do get lots of weeds and crab grass.....I get a bit lazy when it comes to weeding........ :wallbanging:

Edited by poncho62, March 12, 2016 - 08:48 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#11 twostacks OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 09:49 PM

I bottom plow in the fall, spread manure over the winter and disk in the spring. I only use the tiller lightly to weed the rows. My garden is too big and I'd rather sit on my butt than walk behind the tiller. I don't have mounted tiller...yet.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#12 js5020 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7086
  • 526 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 12:27 AM

I have more rocks than one should be allowed to have and most of my gardening is done in raised beds because of it but I do plant several things in the native soil/rocks and I don't plow disk or till.  I poke a hole in the ground with a piece of rebar plant a seed or two and mulch around it to keep the weeds at bay, that way I don't have to deal with the rocks at any point other than when I plant and have to move the hole a bit to get between the rocks.

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,358 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 06:25 AM

I don't disc either, plow under organic matter in the fall and a little more in the spring, then till until powdery smooth and fluffy! Lay down mulch and irrigation and plant. Then till the walking rows to death at my home garden to keep slugs out, and it works AWSOME!! Big garden doesn't have this issue so that might get a lite till every now and then just to keep young weeds from getting to ivasive .

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 07:46 AM

I like to plow, disc & come spring till. You can till too much to make the soil so fine it compacts causing too much water run off. We have a new place this year with lots of clay. I was able to plow & disc last year in preparation for this year. I'm hoping maybe to disc & till this spring.

#15 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 78477
  • 665 Thanks
  • 645 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:26 AM

How things were/will be done this year

International C shank cultivator (bigger stiffer shank, like from a chisel plow but way smaller)

Spread manure
Spring tooth harrow or brinly cultivator