• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 11:03 PM

I started working on the garden tractor again, it appears this may be the final stretch to getting it back to fully operational. It seems like I'm working on everything at once.

The lift springs were missing from the snowblower when I bought it. Mine is the style with the long frame that goes way under the tractor. I was hoping one kind member who has a unit with the original springs could give me some dimensions off of them. Massey ferguson has discontinued them and there are none to be found.

I need to know the wire size in thousandths of an inch, the length of the coil, the OD of the coil, the total length of the spring, and the number of full turns in the coil. This way I can find something at the hardware store as close to OEM as reasonably possible. That way the lift assist works as designed.

Edited by MF10 DIESEL, March 20, 2010 - 10:22 AM.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 22, 2010 - 10:43 AM

I can get measurements for you from mine. I think as long as you get close, I wouldn't worry about number of coils as you use the chains to adjust the preload. I will take pics and some measurements for you when I get home tonight.

#3 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 12:03 AM

Great, the pictures in the snowblower manual aren't that great to really scale things.
Some measurements would sure help.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 05:20 AM

The springs are 1" diameter, the wire is either 1/8" or 3/16" thick, end of coil to end of coil is 5" and there are 26 coils. You will have about another 2 - 3" with the hooks on the end but that won't matter as the chain allows you to adjust it. I bought some 1/8" 1"x1" aluminum angle and made my own chain hooks that mount on the grill mount bolts. All I did was bend them up a little to help keep the chain from popping off and cut a slot for the chain to sit in.

Here are two pics, one is with the snow blower down and the other is with it up.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1315[1]..jpg
  • DSC_1316[1]..jpg

#5 fergie OFFLINE  

fergie

• Member No: 138
  • 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 25, 2010 - 02:49 PM

Hi:
I am wondering if one you can help me out also with a 620 snowblower. I need to fabricate the lift arm mounting plate that goes under the tractor and is fasten to the axle bolt. I am looking for the size of plate, distance from top to horizontal rod that holds lift arms, diameter of rod, and distance to bend at top of plate. Thanks.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 25, 2010 - 07:29 PM

If you can wait a day or two I am planning on taking my snow blower off this weekend and I can get measurements for you as well as pictures.

#7 fergie OFFLINE  

fergie

• 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 26, 2010 - 10:03 AM

Thanks. That would be great.

If you can wait a day or two I am planning on taking my snow blower off this weekend and I can get measurements for you as well as pictures.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 26, 2010 - 11:01 AM

Welcome to the forum fergie,glad to have you here.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 27, 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hi:
I am wondering if one you can help me out also with a 620 snowblower. I need to fabricate the lift arm mounting plate that goes under the tractor and is fasten to the axle bolt. I am looking for the size of plate, distance from top to horizontal rod that holds lift arms, diameter of rod, and distance to bend at top of plate. Thanks.

Here ya go Fergie, I took as many pics as I thought would be good with the tape measure so you can see the dimensions also.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1323..jpg
  • DSC_1318..jpg
  • DSC_1325..jpg
  • DSC_1322..jpg
  • DSC_1321..jpg
  • DSC_1320..jpg
  • DSC_1319..jpg
  • DSC_1317..jpg
  • DSC_1324..jpg

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 27, 2010 - 06:55 PM

If you need any other measurements or more specific measurements just let me know and I can get them.

#11 fergie OFFLINE  

fergie

• 2 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 28, 2010 - 11:08 AM

Thankyou very much. This is perfect. Exactly what I need. Is you blower hard to lift even with two springs. I find it a brute. This is why I want to fabricate a new front plate. My orginal is homemade and just guess measurements. I want to make a new one to factory specs and hope it helps some. Again thanks.

Blair

If you need any other measurements or more specific measurements just let me know and I can get them.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 28, 2010 - 11:24 AM

Thankyou very much. This is perfect. Exactly what I need. Is you blower hard to lift even with two springs. I find it a brute. This is why I want to fabricate a new front plate. My orginal is homemade and just guess measurements. I want to make a new one to factory specs and hope it helps some. Again thanks.

Blair

Without the springs I can't lift it, I feel like I am going to break something besides my arm without them. With the springs I don't think it is too bad. I think the important part is getting the pre-tension set good with the chain links.

#13 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 12:06 AM

The springs are 1" diameter, the wire is either 1/8" or 3/16" thick, end of coil to end of coil is 5" and there are 26 coils. You will have about another 2 - 3" with the hooks on the end but that won't matter as the chain allows you to adjust it. I bought some 1/8" 1"x1" aluminum angle and made my own chain hooks that mount on the grill mount bolts. All I did was bend them up a little to help keep the chain from popping off and cut a slot for the chain to sit in.

Here are two pics, one is with the snow blower down and the other is with it up.

Thanks for the dimensions, I managed to find a set of springs in the shop that are fairly close. I fabbed up a set of slightly more stout chains and am working on the attaching brackets. I'll have to post some pics up of the finished work.