• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 GM2SLO OFFLINE  

GM2SLO
  • Member No: 28859
  • 55 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 07:17 PM

I picked up my Snapper 1855A because I wanted the back blade that was attached now would have to say it's my favorite.Nice job on your project keep us updated !

Thanks, Bob  

• jpswift1 said thank you

#122 jpswift1 ONLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 386 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 01:28 AM

I picked up my Snapper 1855A because I wanted the back blade that was attached now would have to say it's my favorite.Nice job on your project keep us updated !

Thanks, Bob  

Bob,

After comparing this to all the other big garden tractors out there, I'd say this is my favorite tractor as well.  I recently picked up a Cub Cadet 2082 "Cyclops" for mowing about 2 acres (and I later found a nice 45" snowblower for snow removal that I'll be using).  I also got a Sears FF20 this Spring. I'll discuss these purchases in another thread.  I've checked out the big John Deere 400 series tractors, and some of the big Ariens GT series as well.  I have to say that the Massey Ferguson is my pick for the the top tractor out of all of them.  The only thing that it is missing is power steering.

There have been many great purchases made this Spring.  As I mentioned, I got a Cub Cadet 2082, a Sears FF20, an Ariens ST1032 snowblower, a 45" 2 stage, hydraulic lift snowblower attachment for my Cub Cadet, and then the two rare category 0, 2000 RPM attachments for a mere $250 each........a John Deere 260 model 5 ft rear finish mower (made for the 318 and 420 garden tractors), and a Cub Cadet model 48, 4 ft rear tiller.  I'll be using these attachments on my Massey Ferguson 1855 along with the 4 ft box blade and 5 ft rear landscape rake that I picked up last year.  This Massey Ferguson will be quite the versatile workhorse, at a fraction of a cost of a newer Sub Compact Utility tractor........around here people selling these tractors apparently think they're made of gold.

• limebuzz, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#123 jpswift1 ONLINE  

jpswift1
  • 386 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted July 24, 2017 - 10:25 PM

Well I picked up another Massey Ferguson today.  It's a 1655 with a rear 3 point hitch, rear PTO, a rare option of a third hydraulic valve (note the three levers on the right side of the fender), and it even had the factory hub cabs.  I stopped in to inquire about it and long story short, the owner wanted it gone.  We agreed on a price and I came home with it......it's actually pretty decent, but there were some "modifications" like the hood mounted AM radio.  It looks like the previous owner had lots of ignition problems and then just gave up on it. The plastic dash and console are in amazing condition too, which you barely ever see.  And the tractor has only 471 hours on the working factory original hour meter.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo05067.jpg

Edited by jpswift1, July 24, 2017 - 10:26 PM.

• olcowhand, DMAX, limebuzz and 2 others have said thanks

#124 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,266 Thanks
  • 43,390 posts

Posted July 25, 2017 - 03:35 AM

Nice score on that one! Plenty of options.

#125 GM2SLO OFFLINE  

GM2SLO
  • Member No: 28859
  • 55 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 06:32 PM

Super nice catch on the 1655 , has lots of goodies on it good luck with it.

Bob

#126 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,599 posts

Posted July 26, 2017 - 10:04 PM

Whats the extra hydraulic spool plumbed too?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#127 jpswift1 ONLINE  

jpswift1
  • 386 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted July 27, 2017 - 12:22 AM

Whats the extra hydraulic spool plumbed too?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

First off, thanks for the kind words, guys!

And regarding the extra hydraulic spool, I've only seen one other Massey that had this option and I wondered the same exact thing.  The answer is, they're for NOTHING.  I couldn't believe it.  There are just two plugs in each port of the third hydraulic spool.  I guess it was there for the owner to decide what he wanted to do with it and plumb whatever to it.

I thought about adding a hydraulic top link to my Massey 1855 and using the auxiliary hydraulic spool to control it.  I've spent hours and hours searching and researching and I don't really know if I want to do it, because of price and the fact that the shortest hydraulic cylinder that will work, is a couple inches longer than the relatively short Massey Ferguson original top link that came on the 1855.

I thought about using this..........

http://www.surplusce...ES-9-7257-4.axd

But then people say you need check valves otherwise there will be cylinder fade, and that adds even more to the cost and then you've over $200.  I still don't know what direction I'd go.

Edited by jpswift1, July 27, 2017 - 12:46 AM.

• limebuzz and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#128 jpswift1 ONLINE  

jpswift1
  • 386 Thanks
  • 372 posts

Posted July 31, 2017 - 10:33 PM

Here's my MF dump cart, all disassembled ready to be cleaned and stripped.

Another update for you guys.  I finally got my MF641 cart together.  What I ended up doing was using John Deere 316 front wheels with the 1" ID bearings.  I simply painted the wheels MF silver, mounted my tires and then my dad and I drilled and tapped holes in the axle ends for the bearing caps/retainers.  I used the John Deere bearing caps/retainers as well.  I bolted everything together and now I have a cart with bearings instead of bushings, so it can handle more weights and it'll wear less.  It's a great upgrade for the MF carts and not too difficult or expensive to do.  I still need to finish painting the cart body MF red and add some decals, but right now it's rolling and looking great.  It was a very inexpensive project that will be VERY useful.

• DMAX, limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks