Sounds like some serious weight!

• jpswift1 said thank you

#92 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 02:34 AM

Very good news on the progress of the body panels.  I picked up my hood and wheel weights from my sandblaster's shop.  They're all blasted and primed and look really nice.  The hood has some pitting in spots and some dings/dents.  I filled them all in with Bondo and now it looks pretty good.  Next will be paint.  I'll get some pictures up later today.

• KennyP said thank you

#93 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 04:47 PM

And some pictures of the hood after the dents, pits, and other imperfections were filled and sanded.  One more thin coat of glazing/spot putty and then it'll be time to prime the top of the hood and hope the imperfections don't show through too bad.

Attached Thumbnails

• STP61113.JPG
  • STP61114.JPG

• TheFarm2004, coldone and Alc have said thanks

#94 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted June 19, 2016 - 11:15 PM

I got the body filler all nice and level on the hood and it's getting primed.  The fender pan has been all sanded down and will be primed as well.  Next will be applying the Sunrise Red Rustoleum to the last of the body panels.  I also got my John Deere wheel weights sandblasted and primed and I applied some nice red paint to them, and I got the mounting hardware for the wheel weights.

I had some issues with the front wheels having some deep pitting even after the sandblasting.  They don't look too bad a few feet away but up close, the silver paint shows the imperfections pretty clearly.  I was on the road and looking at the Craigslist ads in the areas I was around and for a mere $20 I picked up a very nice pair of 3 lug, 8"x7" wheels with some like new 18x9.50-8 (US made) Carlisle turf tires with some pretty deep and aggressive tread for being a turf tire.  I took the tires off, which I'm sure I'll use for another project down the road, and I'm having the wheels sandblasted and primed so they'll look really nice wearing those new Vredstein V61's.

• coldone, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#95 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 07:22 PM

I got my hood back from the sandblast shop all done up in industrial primer and it's almost completely flawless!  I can't believe how well it turned out.  I just sprayed the underside of the hood with the red Rustoleum and I'll do the top tomorrow.  It's a little more difficult spraying larger areas like that, but I have a feeling this is going to look REALLY, REALLY nice when I'm done.  Sorry for the lack of updates lately.  I've been juggling lots of stuff lately and it makes the time go by so fast.  Pics to come tomorrow.

Edited by jpswift1, July 15, 2016 - 07:23 PM.

• TheFarm2004, coldone and KennyP have said thanks

#96 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 05:38 PM

I got the hood painted today and it went pretty well up until I put the third coat of paint on.  Rustoleum is great paint, but this has happened to me in the past, where i put two coats on, wait a while, then put the third coat on and it cracks and the paint wrinkles.  I'm not very pleased at all with this nonsense, but I will wait a few days, wet sand it down, re-coat it and then clear coat it. 

Also, I made a big purchase yesterday which is the addition of a rear MF 4250 tiller and 54" mowing deck for this great machine!  I'll add some details about this in a future post.

Attached Thumbnails

• STP61148.JPG

Edited by jpswift1, July 16, 2016 - 05:41 PM.

• olcowhand, TheFarm2004 and ENafziger have said thanks

#97 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 12:41 AM

Alright everyone, here's the big update.  I got a running and driving MF1655 with a MF4250 tiller and a 54" belly mower deck (with new belts).  I'm going to merge the two tractors into one really great one and sell the other machine when I'm done, but I need some advice from all you MF/Snapper guys out there.  Here's what I've got.

This MF1655 runs well, but really seems to bog down a good bit when under load (no smoke or knocks or any bad noises).  I ran the tiller (in some hard, extremely dry clay ground) and it really bogged it down.  It also bogs down (not as bad) when I drove it at higher speeds in high range.  Since the PTO runs directly off the engine I think this eliminates the Sunstrand hydro unit being the culprit. 

My 1855 Snapper has the Eaton unit in it which seems to operate well, but needs the fluid changed, as does the 1655 I believe.  The engine in the 1855 is obviously the 18HP Onan and it doesn't seem to have any issues with bogging down at all and it runs great. 

So with this in mind, would you guys say just stick with the Snapper 1855 and put the PTO from the 1655 on it (since it doesn't have one) and use it with the tiller and mower, or use the 1655 and put the 18HP Onan in it and use it?  Whatever tractor I finish building, I will use the panels that I painted and tires on it.  Thanks in advance for the points on which direction to go at this crossroad.

#98 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 05:11 AM

Myself, I would use the Eaton! Much stronger unit! Plus, with the Peerless, you have limited slip helping traction.

#99 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 10:21 AM

Myself, I would use the Eaton! Much stronger unit! Plus, with the Peerless, you have limited slip helping traction.

Thank you, Kenny.  I've heard some say they like the Sunstrand on the Massey and others said they like the Eaton on the Snapper.  Do both the Massey and Snapper use the same Peerless rear end, but with a different hydrostatic drive unit?

#100 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 10:41 AM

The 1655 May not Have the governor setup right.  Check it against the service manual.

Here.

#101 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 02:58 PM

The 1655 May not Have the governor setup right.  Check it against the service manual.

Here.

Thanks for the help and the link!  The guy had someone rebuild the carburetor and now that you mention it, they may not have set the governor up properly.

#102 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 03:03 PM

I prefer the sundstrand myself but both are good units. I'm betting on governor too.

#103 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 08:39 PM

I prefer the sundstrand myself but both are good units. I'm betting on governor too.

Are there rebuild kits still available for both the Eaton and the Sunstrand if I decide to rebuild them in the future? 

#104 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Are there rebuild kits still available for both the Eaton and the Sunstrand if I decide to rebuild them in the future? 

I really don't know myself, as I've sourced used units for parts for Sundstrands, and I machine surfaces myself when needed.  

#105 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 09:01 PM

I really don't know myself, as I've sourced used units for parts for Sundstrands, and I machine surfaces myself when needed.  

OK that sounds good.  I really don't know much about hydrostatic drive units or what wears on them, but I want to keep this tractor up and running great for a long time since I'm putting all this effort into restoring it.