• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#16 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Moving right along. Yes, Rustoleum Wheel Silver paint is a match. That's what I use for all my Massey wheels and grilles.

Thanks!  Do you happen to know of any Rustoleum or Krylon reds that would come close to matching the MF red?

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Awesome rescue & a great job your doing in bringing it back to life. I have a MF12 waiting yo be put back together. Your thread is inspireing. The decal against the red hood just barks. There's something about a red GT that can't be matched especially the Massey's color schemes. Krylon has a Banner Red that is very close. I have heard though their paint tends to fade quickly. Maybe if you give it a clear coat or a good waxing after it sets up good would prevent this. Enjoying your project & keep us updated.

Edited by Sawdust, April 01, 2016 - 07:22 AM.

• limebuzz and jpswift1 have said thanks

#18 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 10:54 AM

Awesome rescue & a great job your doing in bringing it back to life. I have a MF12 waiting yo be put back together. Your thread is inspireing. The decal against the red hood just barks. There's something about a red GT that can't be matched especially the Massey's color schemes. Krylon has a Banner Red that is very close. I have heard though their paint tends to fade quickly. Maybe if you give it a clear coat or a good waxing after it sets up good would prevent this. Enjoying your project & keep us updated.

Thanks!  I'll see if I can find a Rustoleum color that is close to the Krylon Banner Red color.  I always use Rustoleum and have great luck with it.

• limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks

#19 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 11:06 PM

I picked up the Rustoleum Wheel Silver today and I got right to work.  I've got two of the wheels painted (the final coat will go on after the tires get mounted so I don't have scratches on them from the mounting process).  Here's some pictures of the wheels after I got them from the sandblast shop and after some silver paint was sprayed.  It took an entire can to do two wheels......that primer sucked the paint right in so I have a feeling it will nice and durable.

Attached Thumbnails

• STP60843.JPG
  • STP60848.JPG

• limebuzz, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#20 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:58 PM

We must be almost neighbors, I also have an MF1855, you can see the pic in my profile. I bought it to build into a loader tractor but that hasn't happened yet but I did buy a ford LGT125 with a loader so I could use the loader off of it but I have just been using that for loader work. I also have a MF12G with a tiller. A good alternative to Buffalo Bearing is BDI bearing on Cayuga road behind the airport, I have bought mower deck bearings and front wheel bearings there, good prices too. I'm in the process of converting my 1855 to power steering, I have the power steering valve from a Deere 318 but still have to get a steering cylinder. 

• limebuzz, KennyP and jpswift1 have said thanks

#21 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:00 PM

We must be almost neighbors, I also have an MF1855, you can see the pic in my profile. I bought it to build into a loader tractor but that hasn't happened yet but I did buy a ford LGT125 with a loader so I could use the loader off of it but I have just been using that for loader work. I also have a MF12G with a tiller. A good alternative to Buffalo Bearing is BDI bearing on Cayuga road behind the airport, I have bought mower deck bearings and front wheel bearings there, good prices too. I'm in the process of converting my 1855 to power steering, I have the power steering valve from a Deere 318 but still have to get a steering cylinder. 

Another Western New Yorker......that's great to hear there's another 1855 owner around!  We'll have to meet up and chat sometime.  Thanks for tips and it sounds like you've got quite the collection!

I didn't make too much additional progress, but I did get the new seat mounted on the 1855 seat base and it matched up almost perfectly.......only two holes on the mounts had to be lengthened just a hair.  What an improvement over that cob job hacked up seat that someone stuck on there with only two bolts!

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,494 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:24 AM

Good to see progress! Wheels look good!

• jpswift1 said thank you

#23 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 02:10 PM

Good to see progress! Wheels look good!

Thanks Kenny.  There was some pitting, but it's not too bad.  The rear wheels will have the weights on them, so the flaws won't even be visible on the face of the rear wheels.  More updates this week.

#24 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 03:44 PM

More progress today.  I got the grille all painted.  I love the looks of the front end on these 1855 tractors and that Rustoleum Wheel Silver is a perfect match.  Here's some the grille painted and with the mesh loosely installed.

Attached Thumbnails

• STP60910.JPG
  • STP60912.JPG
  • STP60913.JPG
  • STP60917.JPG
  • STP60920.JPG
  • STP60923.JPG

Edited by jpswift1, April 06, 2016 - 03:44 PM.

• TheFarm2004, limebuzz, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#25 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Looks good. Not to burst your bubble, but the hood support(K) bracket is black, but it will still look good when all together.
  • jpswift1 said thank you

#26 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:34 PM

Looks good. Not to burst your bubble, but the hood support(K) bracket is black, but it will still look good when all together.

Thanks for the heads up.  In the pictures it's just in gray primer.  I didn't get any picture of the finished product after I did it in black.  Next will be the hood, side panels, and fender pan.  There's some light body work that I'll have to do to fill some pits and a small ding or two, but it should come out pretty nice.  I was actually thrilled to see how well my amateur Bondo job came out on the grille where the dent was in the upper corner.

Here it is before:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1190.jpg

• limebuzz and Sawdust have said thanks

#27 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Have you found a decal set yet? Just wondering where a guy can get th MF in the front grille. Ya, you would never tell it was crunched in now

#28 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:14 PM

I got the 1855 decal set from Maple Hunter.  They're great folks to deal with and the entire decal set (very high quality and an exact factory replica) for only $35, shipped to my door.  They might just sell you the front MF grille decal if you ask.

http://maplehunterde...rguson1855.aspx

Edited by jpswift1, April 06, 2016 - 10:14 PM.

• limebuzz said thank you

#29 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 09:28 PM

A few more small updates.  I got the rest of the wheels painted and I ordered 2 Baldwin BT8301 hydraulic filters from Grainger for about $9 each (with an account).  I'll get the fluid and hydraulic filter changed in the rear end next, change the oil, oil filter, and plugs in the Onan and then start pulling the side panels, running boards, rear fender pan, and hood off to get them ready for paint.  I also got the headlight trim pieces all cleaned up and the entire grille assembly is all put back together and the headlights are in.  Unfortunately, the weather is not cooperating here at all lately so progress is still a little slow.  I also have a lead on a pair of rear wheel weights (53 lbs each) that I think I can use on the inner side of the wheel........I can get the pair for $90.  What do you guys think.......should I do it?  That would put me at about 280 lbs of wheel weights on the rear of the tractor.

https://www.grainger...=bt8301 baldwin

Edited by jpswift1, April 07, 2016 - 09:32 PM.

• limebuzz and Sawdust have said thanks

#30 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 10:15 PM

Looking real nice...the painted grille looks aggressive. What red paint did you end up using. I'm debating on my MF12 of using my sprayer or do a rattle can job. I can get the cans made up at Sherwin Williams although pricey I hate cleaning a spray gun. Enjoying your project.

Edited by Sawdust, April 07, 2016 - 10:16 PM.

• TheFarm2004 and jpswift1 have said thanks