12 replies to this topic

#1 BolensG10man OFFLINE  

BolensG10man
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 51184
  • 37 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 10:30 AM

Ok. So Im a Bolens guy but want to get into doing tractors more. I got 1 Bolens and there just arent many in Northern MI. I trying to decide what brand to get into restoring and selling and probably using some for work. Bolens will always be my favorite brand but I just need more than 1 rig on the farm and need to make some money on restoration projects.

Edited by BolensG10man, March 11, 2016 - 10:31 AM.

• holdenboy1960, MGP59DB and Paulgo have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 11:05 AM

Lots of people collect different brands some collect only one brand some a variety.

Dont mean to bust your bubble but it sounds like you plan to restore and sell these tractors you get? If so you may be better off finding machines and then getting them mechanically sound and running. For a true restoration your talking upwards of $1500+ and not many people will pay more than that for a tractor, Also just painting a tractor may devalue it for resale as well as most people I know and myself included will actually pay more for a machine in original condition so we can choose to restore ourselves or keep as is. I think if you are just into buying/fixing them you can make out ok. 

• Cvans, boyscout862, BolensG10man and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 11:49 AM

Just keep an open mind and see what comes up. There are usually a bunch of freebies of lawnmowers, lawn tractors and rear engine riders. If you can pick them up and repair them you might make some money but it is not a sure thing. Advertise on local bulletin boards and by word of mouth. Sometimes you may be able to swap a lawn mowing for a free LT. Taking tradeins can also help but don't allow much on the tradein. I sold afew many years ago where the tradein gave them free delivery of the one I was selling them. Good Luck, Rick

• BolensG10man said thank you

#4 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 01:32 PM

For me as long as its old I like it. I do lean towards the sears though because they are more common and easier to find parts for. I am not a re seller or plan to make any money on them though so can't tell you whats hot and whats not. I do know if I were planning on restoring and reselling I would go old and rare as that most of the time means more valuable. However if you buy and resell cheap enough some times abundant and common and can work to just a lot more work involved in nickle and dimes. There is a sears on CG right now for 2K and I know the guy must have put a lot of work into and its been trying to sell it for at least 1/2 year now. I think if he would have put his effort into something other then a Sears Suburban he may stand better chances at selling it. Its just to common and to many are out there. Then there is a guy that will swipe up any tractor he gets a steel of a deal on , he gets it running and turns it over for just a little more then he paid and goes though tractors faster then I can keep up with. 

#5 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 05:56 PM

If you want one to restore, this would be a good project. :)

001.jpg

1966 Bolens 1050. I've got it on craig's now.

#6 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 06:20 PM

I more partial to the era of years 55 to 65.
  • HANKG said thank you

#7 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 730 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:51 PM

attachicon.gif001.jpg

Whhhaaaaat? That's a Bolens?? It says Farmall!!
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#8 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Whhhaaaaat? That's a Bolens?? It says Farmall!!

Yes it is a Bolens and yes it says Farmall.  :thumbs:

• BolensG10man, holdenboy1960 and Marty'70 have said thanks

#9 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:36 PM

Simplicities are pretty easy to come by and so are parts. its addicting to search for the Rare attachments(carry-all,earthcavator,etc.)

But anything with a motor that you find cool or interesting i would reccomend

• boyscout862 and BolensG10man have said thanks

#10 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 12:10 AM

I can't answer from the aspect of making money on them. I buy what interests me and sometimes let them go - sometimes for what I have in them and sometimes for a little profit. Occasionally for a decent profit, but by no means could it be my day job. Just money for new tractors and parts!

When looking, I'm generally open to any good deal. But I focus on a certain brand. I started with Deere, then went to Ford/Jacobsen, and now am into IH/Cubs. I usually go to a new series because of an interesting aspect of the manufacturer. 

Started with Deere because we have big deere equipment, and my wife grew upon a Deere B tractor as a girl on the farm. I switched to fords because of the tube frames and the high/low range transaxles. And have gone to Cubs because of the strong differential and clutch arrangement. Also did a stint of gravely 2 wheel tractors. Not sure what will catch my eye when I get used to working on cubs.....

• boyscout862 and BolensG10man have said thanks

#11 BolensG10man OFFLINE  

BolensG10man
  • GTt Junior
  • 37 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 09:39 AM

attachicon.gif001.jpg

I cant get to craigslist with my internet. Where are you located?

Edited by BolensG10man, March 14, 2016 - 09:39 AM.

• Paulgo and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#12 BolensG10man OFFLINE  

BolensG10man
  • GTt Junior
  • 37 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 09:40 AM

I can't answer from the aspect of making money on them. I buy what interests me and sometimes let them go - sometimes for what I have in them and sometimes for a little profit. Occasionally for a decent profit, but by no means could it be my day job. Just money for new tractors and parts!

When looking, I'm generally open to any good deal. But I focus on a certain brand. I started with Deere, then went to Ford/Jacobsen, and now am into IH/Cubs. I usually go to a new series because of an interesting aspect of the manufacturer. 

Started with Deere because we have big deere equipment, and my wife grew upon a Deere B tractor as a girl on the farm. I switched to fords because of the tube frames and the high/low range transaxles. And have gone to Cubs because of the strong differential and clutch arrangement. Also did a stint of gravely 2 wheel tractors. Not sure what will catch my eye when I get used to working on cubs.....

That why I like Bolens tube frames. I think Bolens are the best out there. But I cant find any in the area. 

#13 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 10:57 AM

I cant get to craigslist with my internet. Where are you located?

Sent you a message.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, cub cadet, john deere, wheel horse, sears, roper, case