41 replies to this topic

#16 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 07:50 AM

Sounds like when I built mine. I wore a sweatshirt most of the time working out there and the floor had a slight slope and mine was just a little out of square, dad added it on so I know it would be close.

The slab looked like it was poured about 6 different times. In a 20 year span. Some of it looked like bag mix pours.

I couldn't take it anymore yesterday and put a heater out there and worked for a few hours. Framed the entry room and closet in the kids room. Tonight I am going to start framing the master bed room. After its complete all my framing is done and all that's left is wiring insulation then drywall! Once the ceiling is hung I am golden for work. I love finishing drywall and it goes quick.
  • KennyP, oldedeeres, shannonwj18 and 1 other said thanks

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 08:02 AM

All garage floors should slope to the opening. That helps get moisture from vehicles out. Be sure to check the attic for insulation, as most are not.

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 09:28 AM

It was sloped this way then that way then dipped and rolled this way. It never did drain right. There were always puddles everywhere. On side started out much higher.

Attic is devoid of insulation. R30 rolls going down and loose on top. It'll be packed full.
  • KennyP said thank you

#19 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,495 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 11:14 AM

. I love finishing drywall and it goes quick.

Me thinks you have breathed in too much coal dust and it's affected your thinking  :poke:  :D

That's one of those things I'm pretty good at but hate doing it.

• KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 01:42 PM

Me thinks you have breathed in too much coal dust and it's affected your thinking  :poke:  :D

That's one of those things I'm pretty good at but hate doing it.

I like it, it's easy work.  No heavy lifting.  The only thing I hate is taping the ceiling.  Working with my arms up like that KILLS me.

• TAHOE said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 07:02 PM

We just finished stripping 'popcorn' off a living & dining room ceiling! Went back to a smooth surface! Had all the drywall I care for!

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 07:04 PM

We just finished stripping 'popcorn' off a living & dining room ceiling! Went back to a smooth surface! Had all the drywall I care for!

I like to do a double crows foot with a varied pattern and do circles around the lights
  • KennyP said thank you

#23 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 11:08 AM

Little more progress has been made.  Remainder of the walls are framed minus the one garage door opening.  Leaving it open until I get the drywall carted into the garage and staged in each room.  Then I will frame up the walls put the window in and seal it off officially.  I do not want to carry 55 sheets of drywall through the house and into the back of the house.  I can count up what each room needs and then lay it out in there much easier.  I'd rather carry it 10 feet then meander through the entire house.

Stopping at lowes tonight to pick up a new breaker panel for the sub panel.  Figured out it was cheaper to buy the breaker panel kit, and do a sub panel instead of running cables all the way across the basement to the breaker box, and buying several breakers.  There already is a subpanel in the garage, but it is just too large for what I want(and old and ugly)

• KennyP, oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:13 PM

I hate (b)Lowes sometimes. Was an annoying experience to say the least. But anyway. Got what I needed. After a failed visit to our lawyer and my extended trip to Lowes I didn't get to work at all.

Tomorrow the Easter Bunny visits the kids for pictures. Saturday is swim lessons, and ultrasound, so maybe a little work. Sunday is Easter and a day to be spent with family.

#25 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 07:10 AM

I haven't made as much progress as I'd like.  I expected to be drywalling by now.  But work has been busy, and I burnt myself out completely working on it non stop with every bit of my free time. 

But

Wiring is completely done.  Outlets, lights in the room, light in each closet, and some recessed lighting in the corners by the beds.  Insulation is done in the walls.  The items to do the attic insulation is laying up in the attic, I just need to install it.  Drywall is stacked in each room and ready to go up but going to wait till the heating/ac unit is installed.

Waiting now for the guy to do my 14,000 BTU dual zone mini split.  Might be a couple weeks.  He is booked up with AC installs since spring is here.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#26 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,495 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 11:17 AM

I haven't made as much progress as I'd like.  I expected to be drywalling by now.  But work has been busy, and I burnt myself out completely working on it non stop with every bit of my free time. 

I did that when we decided to move in with my mom in her ole farmhouse that needed renovated. I started the week before Christmas 2013 and was non stop until we moved in Dec 20 2014. After that I shut down for like 3 months before I could get back into the groove.

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#27 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 01:24 PM

Lighting in the closets? Wonderful to have it wired in first... "you're a genius, Peter".  Beats the heck out of those little battery operated lights you can buy.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#28 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 01:43 PM

Lighting in the closets? Wonderful to have it wired in first... "you're a genius, Peter". Beats the heck out of those little battery operated lights you can buy.

Honestly that came about when I found 4 matching ceiling mount lights at Lowes on scratch and dent for 5 dollars each. Usually 20 each.

I build one closet in the boys room and in the master the back wall is 13 feet wide. So I built 2 5.5' closets side by side with a divider wall. His and her closets if you will. Tall enough for an upper and lower clothes bar. Should be good for me. My wife I don't know.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#29 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 06:21 PM

Master bedroom closet is done.

Turns out it was 4000 dollars cheaper to run 2 cold air returns and 2 supply lines to the new addition that install the minisplit....so that's the plan. Being installed monday. I have to cut a hole for the ducts to come in and change up my one wall design. But it'll work.

Going to hang drywall tomorrow. Wife and kids went out of town till Sunday night so I will hopefully be able to work uninterupted.

#30 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 07:00 PM

A little behind schedule. By the time I started cutting the hole for the duct work I realized I didn't have any more good long sawzall blades. So I waited till tonight to cut the hole. Guy that's doing the install said it would be better if he started tomorrow(Tuesday) anyway. I also had to get rid of my cistern pump line and my water spigot that was in the garage. No big deal. Shut off my main in the basement, Cut the copper line and waited and waited and waited and the water would not stop coming out. Found out I have a bad shut off on my main!

So I went down dad's got the long rod he made years ago to shut off our water taps(no reason to pay the county 25 bucks to shut it off and 25 to turn it on when they feel like coming) and went outside and shut the main off. I had a ball valve and two new solder in threaded adapters and replaced it. Then I went and capped the line to the spigot. Then went out and turned my main back on. No leaks. Good to go!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • KennyP and TAHOE have said thanks