• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:37 AM

Hi guys.  I have six, 4 ply Goodyear Super Terra Grips (from the Amphibious ATVs that I also rebuild) and I was going to use two on my Snapper 1855 and the other four on my Bolens Grounds Keeper until I bought these Galaxy Trencher/Manlift heavy duty 8 ply tires last night on ebay.  

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I was originally thinking about putting a pair on the rear of my Snapper 1855, but I think they (being 8 ply) would have rode WAY too hard for that tractor, so I bought the second pair that the seller had for sale and will be putting them on the big heavy Bolens Grounds Keeper and putting a pair of Goodyear Super Terra Grip ag tires on the Snapper.  

My questions are, have any of you guys ran 8 ply tires?  Will they go on my Bolens wheels without having to worry about the wheel bend when I put them on?  I'd imagine they'll be a little hard to mount, but my friends have tire machines so it shouldn't be a problem.  Is this a good choice to put the heavier 8 ply on the big Bolens and the Goodyears on the Snapper?  Have any of you guys ran 26x12x12 Goodyear Super Terra Grip ag tires and if so how do they perform?  I'd imagine the 8 plys would ride too hard for the Snapper, which weighs less than half of the Bolens.  

s-l500.jpg

maxBuff_tires26_1.jpg

Edited by jpswift1, March 11, 2016 - 07:38 AM.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:42 AM

I have the Goodyears on both the FF tractors. Seem to grip real well!

• jpswift1 said thank you

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 884 Thanks
  • 495 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:44 AM

I think you'll find very little difference in how they mount or ride.  They might fight you a little more if you were trying to lever them on with irons but I suspect you'll notice no difference at all using a tire machine.

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:45 AM

I would love a set of the Terra grips, those are some good tires.

I will second Kenny on his FF, the plow day that he brought it, seem like he minimal slippage issue -vs- some of us whio could hardly move.

• KennyP and jpswift1 have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:58 AM

You will never know the difference between the 8 ply and 4 ply as far as ride.  You WILL notice the difference in durability and a lot less pron to punctures. 

My 04 Chevy Avalanche had standard light truck tires all around.  I threw a belt and needed new fronts.  Tire shop owner said he does not keep any the light duty tires for pickups.  All he sells is 10 ply as there is very little difference in price and the 10 plys will last twice as long.  So far I love them and can tell no difference in the ride.  The 10 ply tires were $4 each more than Wal-Mart recommended tire price and have 1/2 again as much tread depth.  Sorry for steeling the post but thought it would be good information.

• Alc and jpswift1 have said thanks

#6 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:02 AM

I run Carlisle, BKT, and have a set of Specialty Tire (Indiana ,PA) all ag tread , the Carlisle and the BKT's are 8 ply and the Specialty's are 12 ply ( couldn't pass them up for the price). I like the BKT , because the tread style closely resembles the Goodyear. I mount up the 8-ply's and have no problems on my small manual changer. The 8 ply ag tread like the ones you reference IMO ride considerably rougher than the old Goodyear tread and is why I like the BKT's. My 8 ply tires are on loader tractors that have extra rear weight and I like the idea of the heavier duty tire, but am sure a 4 ply would do fine. I'd not mount the "big biters" on a tractor I was going to have a seat on for an expended period of time on rough terrain, again my opinion

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, March 19, 2016 - 05:58 PM.

• limebuzz and jpswift1 have said thanks

#7 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:41 AM

Thank you for all of that helpful information, everybody!  That's exactly what I wanted to know.  My Bolens Grounds Keeper, since it weighs close to 2400 lbs will be getting the four 8 ply tires that I just ordered off ebay and the Snapper 1855 will be getting the 4 ply Goodyear Super Terra Grip ag tires that I already have.  I think that will be a perfect fit for each tractor. 

• Alc, TAHOE, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,339 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 05:57 PM

Mounting an 8-10 or 12 ply tire can be a huge pain in the butt.Just depends on how hard the compound is and your rim width.

Don't forget to post up some pics once you get them mounted and on your machines.Those tires look really rugged.I was going to get a set of those cheap 23 10.50 12 Deestones but my neighbor got a set and they are ALOT smaller than his old rotted up turf tires were.We measured them aired up and they were around 21" tall and 9 3/4" wide.Rims were I think 9" wide can't remember.

#9 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:45 PM

Mounting an 8-10 or 12 ply tire can be a huge pain in the butt.Just depends on how hard the compound is and your rim width.

Don't forget to post up some pics once you get them mounted and on your machines.Those tires look really rugged.I was going to get a set of those cheap 23 10.50 12 Deestones but my neighbor got a set and they are ALOT smaller than his old rotted up turf tires were.We measured them aired up and they were around 21" tall and 9 3/4" wide.Rims were I think 9" wide can't remember.

I hope those aren't too bad to mount.  I'll leave them in the house so they're softer and warm before I put them on.  They're going on 12"x10.5" wheels, so that will hopefully work in my favor. 

And yes, I heard those Deestones are A LOT smaller than the size that is listed on the size of the tire.  Someone here on the site or maybe another tractor forum (memory isn't working that well) measured them with a carpenter's square and mounted and fully aired up, the 26x12x12 Deestones measured only 24" tall.

Once I get the new 8 ply Galaxy tires on the Bolens Estate Keeper wheels and the Goodyears on the Snapper wheels (and Verstein V61 18x8.50-8 on the front) mounted later this month, I'll be sure to post some pics.

Edited by jpswift1, March 11, 2016 - 07:46 PM.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:45 PM

My brother bought some good used 6 or 8 ply tires off a trencher for his JD 420. He took them to a tire shop to have them mounted. They wear good, he has had them for 6 yrs and still counting.

The owner said he lost money on the deal, in 30 yrs of mounting tires he never ran across tires so hard to mount.

You really need some flex in the sidewalls to get the best traction. I know a guy who tried skid loader tires on his GT and said they were to stiff to get decent traction he went back to conventional ags.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 11, 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#11 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 11:35 PM

My brother bought some good used 6 or 8 ply tires off a trencher for his JD 420. He took them to a tire shop to have them mounted. They wear good, he has had them for 6 yrs and still counting.

The owner said he lost money on the deal, in 30 yrs of mounting tires he never ran across tires so hard to mount.

You really need some flex in the sidewalls to get the best traction. I know a guy who tried skid loader tires on his GT and said they were to stiff to get decent traction he went back to conventional ags.

I think you're right about having some flex in the tires to have traction.  The Bolens Grounds Keeper is a VERY heavy tractor, weighing in at over a ton, with a majority of the weight over the rear wheels, so I think the 8 ply tires will be perfect for that machine.  The Goodyear Super Terra Grip 4 ply ags will be what I'm going to run on my Snapper 1855 then.  Thanks again everyone!