• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 01:46 PM

I had to laugh at this  post..  Quite a difference in taste.. I'm 62 and grew up on R &Roll  ..  In the 90's ,for guys, the country was all about loosing your'e girlfriend and for girls it was all about getting out and being wild..   Example::

Guys----    Buba shot the jukebox cause the song made him cry.....   I left the light on,, in case she comes back...

Girls----  Dancing on the bar...   Tequila made her clothes fall off...  Girls night out...

The country did get a little better lately ..

One thing that made me feel old was,,,,,,,I turned on an OLDIES radio station the other day and they were playing  80s-90s music.??? :wallbanging:         O-WELL....

• Alc, boyscout862 and UncleWillie have said thanks

#32 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 01:59 PM

My mom tells me that I was born too late. I tell her that was her fault not mine. I have always liked old music. Big band, swing, old country, even classical. I don'.t know of a song put out in the last 5 years that I have listened to more than once. At least not on purpose.

http://www.dailymoti...e-in-2014_music

• boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#33 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 02:59 PM

Need to go back a lot further to find the GOOD country. 30's up to around the 60's.  A few of the " newer" artist are good.  If you want to find out how good a music artist is hear them sign the National Anthem once.  90% of the female "top stars" tear it up so bad with their own rendition it is terrible,  A lot of the male are not to far behind either.  Went to a Sawyer Brown concert once. Wasted $25 on that real fast as I left after the third piece.  There are some top notch occopella groups out there now.

Agree to disagree on Sawyer Brown? I like a lot of their music, Café On The Corner being a favorite as I see the same thing happen around here every year as I go to local auctions, I think that's why I like that kind of music(besides being born in 1990), as most of it tells a story, 99% of the new country is garbage imo.

#34 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 03:06 PM

I had to laugh at this  post..  Quite a difference in taste.. I'm 62 and grew up on R &Roll  ..  In the 90's ,for guys, the country was all about loosing your'e girlfriend and for girls it was all about getting out and being wild..   Example::

Guys----    Buba shot the jukebox cause the song made him cry.....   I left the light on,, in case she comes back...

Girls----  Dancing on the bar...   Tequila made her clothes fall off...  Girls night out...

The country did get a little better lately ..

One thing that made me feel old was,,,,,,,I turned on an OLDIES radio station the other day and they were playing  80s-90s music.??? :wallbanging:         O-WELL....

That was some of it, but there was a lot more out there then that, I caught a lot of crap for listening to country when I was in school, I recently bought an XM radio to put in my truck once I pass my test(don't ask) because the local stations pretty much play the top 20 over and over.  If you could see the inside of the console of my truck you'd see about 20 cassette tapes from various artists. 

#35 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,478 Thanks
  • 3,371 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 05:20 PM

I'm also into Brown, Zach Brown, Jackson Browne, Sawyer Brown...

#36 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,629 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 05:26 PM

I remember when  I was about 35 - 40, I told an 18 yo that I used to like Cream (I was tryin' to relate to the yung uns'!) She said "Who's that?!!" . . . . .         I think that was one of the first times I started feeling old.      That was also about the time a little toddler in a grocery store came charging around and almost crashed into my legs. His mom said "Watch out for that old man."       >sighhhhh<

• Alc, boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#37 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 995 Thanks
  • 508 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 05:53 PM

Pink Floyd - Led Zep - Aerosmith - ELP - ELO - Boston - those are some of the stuff that was new when I was a teenager so it is instilled deep into my being.

Lady GAG GAG makes me want to puke .

They play Pink Floyd and Zepplin in Wal-mart now like it was the oldies ... damn ... I guess it is.

• Alc, boyscout862, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#38 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Pink Floyd - Led Zep - Aerosmith - ELP - ELO - Boston - those are some of the stuff that was new when I was a teenager so it is instilled deep into my being.

They play Pink Floyd and Zepplin in Wal-mart now like it was the oldies ... damn ... I guess it is.

Most of her stuff that makes it to radio is crap, my sister had a few of her cds, some of the album cuts are pretty good, they would surprise you, sadly that is how it is a lot of times. 

• boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#39 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:45 PM

Another one that makes me want to barf is Billy Ray's Virus---oh wait--Miley I guess!

Most music nowadays is more gimmick than talent. Oldie country and 50's-70's rock is my main favorite. There is some newer stuff but it's hit and miss. The Ipod is the greatest music invention ever. My sister gave me her old one. It will hold more songs than I'll ever load on it but have about 2000 on it right now. I have a fewer new cd's loaded on it too but no one ever heard of many of them, from a young Texan woman named Sarah Jarosz to a one time superstar that faded from the scene, Carlene Carter. 2014 Carlene put a new one out and we got to see her at a bar in Denver, CO that year. June Carter and Carl Smith were her mom and dad. My daughter got me liking Enya too.

We have a pretty darn good oldies country radio station but the signal isn't real strong, it doesn't come in on my shop stereo unless the bay door is open. The "oldies" rock station here plays mainly disco and 80's punk with an occasional actual oldie thrown in. Disco should still be dead in my opinion, the pic is a bumper sticker from a bar I frequented back about 1979!

Oh me and the wife are going to go see "Heart" mid May in Deadwood, SD.

Yeah Kenny I dig Buddy Holly too. Remember James Taylor's reference to Patsy Cline in "Fire and Rain? "Sweet Dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground". 

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Old Craftsman tool cabinet.jpg

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#40 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 10:31 PM

All music came from one basic source - Country Music.  I agree with the majority of you guys that what we have today is nothing but noise.  Boom - Ba-Boom. Boom Ba-Boom.  And the younger generation can't makes sense out of it either so they crank it up as loud as they possibly can to try to find something usable.  To each his own I guess but give me that old time country or give me nothing.

Spoken like a true Country Music fan!  Reminds me if the Blues Brothers!  What kind of music should we play?  BOTH KINDS-  Country & Western!!   :rolling:  :worshippy1:

The Blues are the source of many a rock and Country song..  

As far as the new music there are a few that catch my ear but not a lot..  The so called 'new country' is just souped up rock in my book..

Also, when I hear a remake of an old song that I love and the remake destroys it I wanna yank the radio out of the dash and toss it out the window!  

As far as the origins of music it started way long ago with dudes with a lute or piano or sticks and pots and pans or something like that..  

But that's just me...

• boyscout862 said thank you

#41 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 11:44 PM

Here's a few songs to get an idea of what I listen to.

https://www.youtube....h?v=pe4Cr_4MCvA

https://www.youtube....h?v=mKGVmUDuZNc

https://www.youtube....h?v=GZfj2Ir3GgQ

Some of our Canadian members may know this song from a group called the Road Hammers, this version(the one you are more likely to hear around here) is by Chris Knight and is from the 1998 movie "Black Dog".

https://www.youtube....h?v=NPvGzHi2-80

• Alc said thank you

#42 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 12:41 AM

Ditto on the Rock Gods in the first sentence..  

Lady GG actually has great talent (**National ANTHEM @ the Superbowl..)  As far as the whacky things she does it ain't my cup of tea either..  Lets see how she does in the future..  Miley C and Bobby Bare two so called 'artists' better forgotten in my book..  But that's just me...

As a child of the 60's I've been through the gamut of many a style and genre of great music..  Country, Rock, New Wave, Punk & Pop ..  I like many songs in each style but am not loyal to any one style..  If it's clean, catchy and has a great sound I'm in..  

From Johnny Cash to The White Stripes and everything between!  (White Stripes)

I've heard this song on the radio many times but never knew who the heck sung it..  These guys are whacky but they have a great BEAT..  (Skip the lady's BS and go to 1:12)..  It's also been used in many advertisements..  Who would have thunk these guys would come up with this?  

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, March 12, 2016 - 12:45 AM.

• boyscout862 and adamjd200 have said thanks

#43 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,629 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 07:39 AM

I made it to 1:59 before I had to shut it off. Thanks alot, Tink!

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#44 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 09:19 AM

I like my music and my GTs from the 60s and 70s but can find nice ones from the 80s and 90s too. Good Luck, Rick

• MGP59DB said thank you

#45 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 12:01 PM

I made it to 1:59 before I had to shut it off. Thanks alot, Tink!

Same here....  Not for me..