jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 12:44 AM

My daughter fixed me up with her old " iPod " and a speaker unit that it sets in.

It is loaded up with the late 50's and early 60's rock an roll music that I listened to as a kid -  with no commercials.

• Alc, hamman, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#17 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 12:55 AM

I'm old (53) I guess. But for me the main artists are from the rock/ hard rock world. Led Zeppelin, ZZTop, Ted Nugent, Iron Maiden, Bob Seger, Zakk Wilde, AC-DC the list goes on... And I'll listen to country, but it to is the older stuff like Hank Williams Jr., Waylon, Willlie, Johnny Cash, Patti Loveless, John Anderson...  

Most of my listening out in the shop is from my old CD collection, can't do the radio as mentioned. But around here there's only really one "rock" station and they play nothing but the older music, nothing from today because there isn't any...

There was a radio station that started up around here a couple years ago, it's all olc country, called DUKE FM. Look it up because I think it's in a lot of other markets... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

• hamman, EricR and MGP59DB have said thanks

#18 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 01:58 AM

I like all kinds of music except for rap crap, but I must say I think we live in a time where you need no real talent, young women seem to have taken over the pop music scene, mostly with a pretty face and the body to match, sex appeal sells. As for the music its here today and gone tomorrow just waiting for the next oh oh oh oh song to come out. I don't know if it will ever be the art it once was.
  • Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#19 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 05:15 AM

Rock & Roll for ever!

• Alc, hamman and zippy1 have said thanks

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 06:35 AM

Don't you remember 'The Day the Music Died'?

• Alc, hamman, MFDAC and 4 others have said thanks

#21 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:11 AM

I'm a boomer and remember the first time Elvis was on Ed Sullivan. I also remember the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I grew up with "Sing along with Mitch" at my grandparents. My parents listened to 30s, 40s, and 50s big band music. We kids listened to rock. IMO the pinnacle was reached in the late 60s: Hendrix(All Along the Watch Tower and Angel), The Righteous Brothers(You've Lost That Lovin Feeling), The Moody Blues(Question of Balance)and hundreds of others. I enjoyed the 70s as an Active Duty Army Officer in the DC area where disco was very popular. The 80s had some great new sounds but I didn't care for some of them. The 90s had some good sounding but more I didn't care for and the trend continues. There seems to be less I like but there still is some. I do chuckle when an oldie gets covered my someone current and they don't sound as good as the original. Occassionally, a classic shows up in a commercial.

I've found enjoyable music from all over the past 100 years. I enjoy the 60s and 70s most because that is when I was learning. I've even heard a couple of softer rap songs that I would listen to again. I think rap is designed to be mezmerising.

No matter what you like, I find that music on in the background makes for a more enjoyable day. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 12, 2016 - 09:11 AM.

• Alc, hamman, KC9KAS and 3 others have said thanks

#22 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:42 AM

the early/mid 80s wasn't bad til you get into Poison, INXS, Def Leppard, Nirvana, and such, (which I cannot stand)  right at that time is when music took a fast plunge thru the sewer and has gotten worse from there

Def Leppard was/is one of the best "big hair bands" out here, still making new and decent music.

Nirvana totally screwed the pooch when it came to the "rock and roll" scene, their music was such crap but the younger ones loved it. All the pop rock/arena rock when to that grunge /garage junk.

There had really not been decent music made since the 90's. Even "country" is now like pop 40 stuff.

Our 50/60's radio station has even changed and now plays late 60's/70's soft rock and such, I used to like duwhop. "The Last Kiss" was on of my favorite songs.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#23 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:52 AM

Need to go back a lot further to find the GOOD country. 30's up to around the 60's.  A few of the " newer" artist are good.  If you want to find out how good a music artist is hear them sign the National Anthem once.  90% of the female "top stars" tear it up so bad with their own rendition it is terrible,  A lot of the male are not to far behind either.  Went to a Sawyer Brown concert once. Wasted $25 on that real fast as I left after the third piece.  There are some top notch occopella groups out there now.

• hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#24 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:58 AM

Nirvana totally screwed the pooch when it came to the "rock and roll" scene, their music was such crap but the younger ones loved it.

When I was a kid and Nirvana was big, I freaking loved Nirvana!  I had all their albums, and played them constantly.  Then when I "grew up" I didn't care for them as much, I still listen to them for nostalgic feelings.  When I was learning to play guitar I learned all their songs(which wasn't hard as most of them were 5 or 6 chords repeated over and over again....)

I liked the "Seattle Grunge Rock". 

My music taste is odd.  I can get in with all the 60s, 70s, and 80s "rock". music you guys are listing.  I can get into almost all the 90s stuff.  I turn Pandora "90s hits" station when I'm working around the house and sing along all day!  I hate any of the old country.  Sorry can't get into it at all, never could get into country.  Not that I think its "bad" music, I can't get into a lot of the subject matter.  But then I can listen to a lot of the "new" stuff.  You have to admit that Adele has a heck of a voice!

Edited by toomanytoys84, March 11, 2016 - 08:00 AM.

• hamman said thank you

#25 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:59 AM

All music came from one basic source - Country Music.

Pretty sure cultural and folk music came before country and even cavemen banged stuff together, and let's not forget religious music!

I think just about everyone agrees that rock and country music trace their roots back to gospel and folk music.

I used to listen to a lot of rock music, except for heavy metal. Those shirtless guys with a sneer on their face are just too funny!

And top 40 AM music drives me crazy; they play the same song 10 times a day for months until no one wants to here it anymore.

Even now 40 years later, I don't want to hear them anymore! When they came out with the FM Rock stations, it was a breath of fresh air!

But, I must admit, I've outgrown R&R. Yup!!! My ears can't take this modern music. Young people now seem to think "If it ain't loud, it ain't good."  Now days I pretty much list to Christian music.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#26 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:52 AM

I'm 63, I wasn't a 50's music fan, like a lot of the 60's, but rock grew up in the 70's, with elaborate overlays in songs like Boston's More Than A Feeling, and the triple lead guitars of southern rockers Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the power ballads that started a movement in music, like Free Bird, the first three notes and everybody knows what's coming. That carried well into the 80's with ZZ Top continuing their run, Guns and Roses, Brian Adams, The Rolling Stones in their third decade, Joan Jett, Rockin' Rodney Stewart, .38 Special, and on and on. Then the 90's, and the bottom fell out, some good stuff in the 90's but there was no new rock and roll, now it's scream rock, whatever the hell that is.

There's a reason commercials use old songs, because they don't suck!

Edited by toppop52, March 11, 2016 - 08:54 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#27 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:14 AM

I've also out grown R&R somewhat, heck been listening to it since the mid fifties. However it seems to be making some comeback strides with young listeners probably because they can't stand their own music. I have learned to broaden my horizon with bands like Sublime 3/11 and Pepper to name a few I also like Reggae in small dose's, lately I've been listening to a mix of jazz and classical on a Sirius station.
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#28 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:19 AM

I almost left out my main man, I rode

a thousand hours in my Donzi listening to Jimmy Buffett!

I like some Marley stuff, but I'll never outgrow true rock. I also thoroughly enjoy so called, hot country from the 80's and 90's, as well as outlaw stuff from Kris, Willie, Johnnie, Hank Jr, Waylon and so on.

Edited by toppop52, March 11, 2016 - 09:19 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862 and EricR have said thanks

#29 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 10:44 AM

I have a Rhapsody account. Yes it does have a monthly fee, but its about the same as Netflix and I get more use out of it. I listen to 94.9 the Outlaw from Wichita Falls TX on the net. When I hear a band I like, I look them up on Rhapsody and add them to my library. I have also added alot of 80-90's rock and country. I have over 20,000 songs I can listen to anywhere I have WIFI or cell service. I quit listening to the corporate country Nash-vile top 40 crap 15 years ago.

#30 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 12:15 PM

When I was a kid and Nirvana was big, I freaking loved Nirvana!  I had all their albums, and played them constantly.  Then when I "grew up" I didn't care for them as much, I still listen to them for nostalgic feelings.  When I was learning to play guitar I learned all their songs(which wasn't hard as most of them were 5 or 6 chords repeated over and over again....)

I liked the "Seattle Grunge Rock". 

You have to admit that Adele has a heck of a voice!

nirvana was "your generation" music. I thought they sucked from the first video I saw along with most of the other grunge bands. Of course, that is just my opinion. Seems music changes about every 10-12 yrs. My high schools years was Big Hair/glam rock/arena rock and that's still my favorite. One of my favorite bands all looked like women, Cinderella  LOL.

Now days I pretty much list to Christian music.

I try to listen mostly to Christian radio, but most if it is still too soft for me, I like Skillet, Red, Thousand foot crutch, etc.

Not much beats some old Stryper and Petra :rocker2:  :rocker2:  :rocker2:

I grew up on Southern Gospel/country in the 70's. I still find some old CD's I got from dad and occasionally listen to some Kingsmen, Imperials and Cathedrals.

Edited by TAHOE, March 11, 2016 - 12:17 PM.

• EricR said thank you