19 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Carb was rebuilt last fall.  In a G16XT.  Has worked good all winter.  I always turn the gas off on all my tractors when not used.  This spring I drove it out of the machine shed and it flooded out and fuel was running out the carb like there was no tomorrow.  Have used it a couple times since and it runs good, but have to adjust the fuel flow with the shut off valve.  Today I got it to the shop, removed the carb and the float bowl.  Everything was clean but blew it out just the same.  Tried it several times but it always wants to run gas out the air intake.  With the bowl off I just barely move the float up and it stops the fuel flow.  I have adjusted the float to a lower setting and no change.  I tired 2 different needles the same type and length only with the rubber tip.  No change.  The float is not leaking or hanging up on anything.  The engine runs great as long as I just crack the shut off valve to keep it from running over.  What the heck is going on?  Have never run into this type situation before.  Usually it is dirt or worn needle valve, etc.  Any advise is welcome.  Carb kit probably don't have more than 5 hours run time on it.  Rest of the time the fuel is turned off.

#2 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 604 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:36 PM

I seem to have the same problem with the L80 carbs off the wisconsin S8D's, even after a rebuild. I have tried adjusting float level along with taking things apart over and over trying to understand the problem but as of yet have failed to find a solution to the problem.

Strangely I never had this issue with the L63 carbs off the TR Wisconsin's.
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 wurzel OFFLINE  

wurzel
  • Member No: 78672
  • 113 Thanks
  • 101 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:37 PM

hi you may have a hole in the float put it in hot water if theres a hole it will bubble with the boiling petrol  had one in mine once you find the hole empty all the petrol from it and solder the hole dont use too much solder because of the wieght 

cheers nick 

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,105 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:38 PM

Does the fuel leak out of the carb if the engine is not running and the fuel valve is left on?

• chieffan said thank you

#5 wurzel OFFLINE  

wurzel
  • 113 Thanks
  • 101 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:39 PM

one other thing is on the lmh carb there is a rubber insert under the float needle this needs to be the right way up 

• boyscout862 and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:49 PM

Just a thought, I once had the exact same problem and at the time had resources, we x-rayed the carb as a last resort and found a hairline fracture this was the problem in my case. Total loss for that carb but I also agree I have had floats that when submerged in water overnight showed no leakage. But problem persisted and when put in boiling water found lots of minuscule cracks that bubbled. A little flux and some solder and that fixed that particular float!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 07:36 PM

Does the fuel leak out of the carb if the engine is not running and the fuel valve is left on?

Yes, pours ou the air intake.

hi you may have a hole in the float put it in hot water if theres a hole it will bubble with the boiling petrol  had one in mine once you find the hole empty all the petrol from it and solder the hole dont use too much solder because of the wieght 

cheers nick 

The float did have a pin hole in it originally.  I found that with a hair dryer.  By heating the float any fuel inside will be pushed out the pin hole.  Check that again this time and found nothing.  Normally if there is fuel in the float it can be hear by shaking it next to your ear.  That is still a possibility.

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 07:40 PM

one other thing is on the lmh carb there is a rubber insert under the float needle this needs to be the right way up 

Don't remember which carb this is but there is no rubber seat under the needle.  Brass with a tiny hole.  I have another carb off a 18 Tech that I may try.  At this point I have been fairly good and adjusting that shut off valve to keep it running good.

Edited by chieffan, March 09, 2016 - 07:40 PM.

#9 wurzel OFFLINE  

wurzel
  • 113 Thanks
  • 101 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 07:41 PM

boiling water will discover hiden pinholes 

#10 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,105 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 07:42 PM

You could pour some gasoline into a small container and then set the float in it and see if it floats or sinks - if it sinks, even a little, it is either too heavy or got a leak.  Be careful that you do not have any open flame or spark or other ignition source near the gasoline. Hope this helps 

#11 wurzel OFFLINE  

wurzel
  • 113 Thanks
  • 101 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 07:45 PM

i had this same problem with an oh16 rebuilt carb.

carb constantly flooded

checked float numerous times with cold water

then tried boiling water and  found pinhole

i put the float in a jar jar and hooked a vacuum pump to it to evaporate all the petrol and water

then soldered it

works fine now no flooding 

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 08:58 PM

From all the suggestions and past experience it must be a float that is not floating for one reason or another.  Going to do the boiling water test and see what shakes out.  Hopefully get to it tomorrow some time.  Thanks much to all.

#13 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 12:29 AM

The needle seat will have either lines on one side or 3 dents, it needs to go in so they are facing away from you when you put it in. Smooth side toward you. When you set the float level on the lmh it needs to be level with the bowl gasket . And check your float like the others have said for leaks. It is either bleeding past the seat or the float is sinking. The lmh has a rubber seat unless it is a really early one which some have a spring loaded needle with a rubber tip

Edited by Tecumseh power, March 10, 2016 - 12:30 AM.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 08:07 AM

The needle seat will have either lines on one side or 3 dents, it needs to go in so they are facing away from you when you put it in. Smooth side toward you. When you set the float level on the lmh it needs to be level with the bowl gasket . And check your float like the others have said for leaks. It is either bleeding past the seat or the float is sinking. The lmh has a rubber seat unless it is a really early one which some have a spring loaded needle with a rubber tip

To be honest I never looked at the seat that close as I did not remove it was no new one with the kit I got.  The needle that was in when it started this, and had been working fine, did not have the rubber tip.  Will do more checking on that float.  With the bowl empty, I can open the shut off about 1/8th of a turn and with in a few second the fuel is running out the air intake.  It come out about as fast as I goes into the clear filter.  Strange that it started all at once.

#15 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 10:48 AM

If you check your float and it still does it get the walbro kit from bolens 1000. It was the cheapest price I found and it is a factory kit. It comes with a needle and seat. If you get the kit and put the seat in you need to re adjust your float it comes with a black seat the one in yours is probably white . It is a little bit thinner so it makes your float level higher. You need to adjust it back down. But it's a good kit. Good luck you'll get it fixed