• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:08 PM

image.jpg started as a cub original deck but would work with any deck for those who want to make ther ownimage.jpg I used to universal 3/4 bearings 3/4 rod total of $40 so far set up to run off a engine could use pto if you had one
  • Gtractor, CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:15 PM

You could have just tied a rope to my push mower! Just kidding.
  • boyscout862 and MNGB have said thanks

#3 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:16 PM

I plan on modding the hitch from what I was going to do to aid in coolness. V in the front and then adding a hitch. My goal is to use it as a finish mower behind my original.
  • Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 07:28 PM

I hope to have a Swisher version up for sale sometime soon... Started out as a row behind.. though over the years I have had my share of left over GT decks and had ideas to build one more than once
There used to be a guy about 10 miles away that had built a really cool one from a Sears Suburban 48" deck, IDK if he is still around or if he still has it.
  • MNGB said thank you

#5 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 08:02 PM

I built this one from a Ford deck........

Brushmower019Medium.jpg

Brushmower022Medium.jpg

• limebuzz, KennyP, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Poncho62, I like that, nice job of the mower and tractor. I have a tractor the same as yours, but mine dosent look that good.

Noel
  • MNGB said thank you

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,220 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 08:26 PM

Ok I gotta know, whats the point ??  I have seen these things around for sale and just don't get it, if you have a tractor and a deck then use them !!!  why make it to tow behind ?  My neighbor has a few of those silly side by side utv things and he tows a mower behind one of them to do the yard, I just don't see it !!  he is now running two motors all the time just to cut grass.

Just my two cents, sorry

Pete 

• boyscout862 and MNGB have said thanks

#8 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 08:32 PM

I used mine as a brush mower, cutting tall field grasses, tall weeds etc. Thats why it had the tall tires, to get it higher....6 to 8 inches up

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 11:10 PM

they make both a finish mower and a bush hog version.

The main advantage I can see to the finish mowers like this is in the ones that can be offset to one side to double the width of cut if you have a big wide open area to mow.

• MNGB said thank you

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 08:16 AM

Why would you want to run over the uncut grass with four more wheels to flatten it, then try to pick up the wheels tracks with a tow behind?  Don't make a bit of sense to me.  Every one of the tow type finish mowers I have seen in operation or moving real slow.  Probably to pick up the wheel tracks.  At least with a tractor mounted deck you only have 2 wheel to flatten the grass.  The smaller the wheels the more compaction and less grass to pick up.  Nice looking rebuilt job.  We all need a project to work on but a tow behind is clear at the bottom of my list. 

Sorry but not my cup of tea.

• MNGB said thank you

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 09:35 AM

I would like to build one myself, why to a few of you ask? My purpose would be to make the tractor easier to make multi-use. I could use pull mower, then keep all my front blade/bucket attachments on front, unhook mower when done. Mine would be used more of a bush hog for the field.

• dodge trucker and MNGB have said thanks

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 01:41 PM

Hi bryan110, I like your project will be watching your progress, I've been mulling a build like that for sometime, just haven't gotten the deck I want like a 48" or so don't want to go thur the work of making one out of a 42" deck, as for why well its like TAHOE,  posted with a GT its nice to use the tractor with other implements and having a mid mt deck on really limits it use and installing and removing a deck is not the most fun, as for mowing over the wheel tracks, I'd build an off-set hitch when using it as a finish mower plus with the off-set you could have the mid mt deck installed and double the cut, but all in all good points of discussion here.

• limebuzz and propane1 have said thanks

#13 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 06:02 PM

The purpose of it being pull behind is because when I bought the tractor the deck was already off. When I went to put it under the tractor parts where missing that where either for the tractor or deck. And being I already have a mower deck under my 129 I don't need to to do one job and what's the difference if you run the grass over with for wheels or two have you ever drove you mower on the grass when not mowing or turning or ever run a 4 wheeler car over it. To me it's grass and I could care less if I run it oner 1-2-4 or a thousand times before I mow. SO in my eyes I am using something I would have other wise throwen in the scrap bin.

Ps this build is just for fun and I have the parts to do it.

Ps I also started to build the lift mechanism 1/2 rod spacer nuts and a 1/2 rod so far
  • MNGB said thank you

#14 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 06:04 PM

Oh and I could build a hitch to off set the pull mower to run 72 inch mower and cut mowing in half cool
  • limebuzz and MNGB have said thanks

#15 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted April 26, 2016 - 06:56 AM

I like this set-up. Very well done.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko