• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BigRedFishDad OFFLINE  

BigRedFishDad
  • Member No: 80310
  • 11 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:00 AM

I saw this guy selling a 1970 Montgomery ward 16hp variable with a loader. He said it comes with the pump and valves and that the hoses will probably need replacing. The engine is out of the tractor and I have no idea if it runs. Here is the description on Craigslist.

1970's Montgomery Ward (Gilson) 16 H.P. Variable Speed Garden Tractor with Front End Loader. (Not Running) Single Cylinder Cast Iron Briggs Motor. Motor has been pulled and kept in a barn and turns freely.

He has it for $850. So my question is would you buy it and what would you pay for it. And will the Montgomery ward loader fit a Sears directly or with little modification or will pretty much not fit at all.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Traill95, boyscout862 and bbuckler have said thanks

#2 BigRedFishDad OFFLINE  

BigRedFishDad
  • 11 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Please reply quickly as I have not bought it yet and would like to if it worth it or the loader is hard to find.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:04 AM

If everything is there and there are no major issues, I'd take alook at it. Usually a loader alone costs more than that. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:16 AM

Loader looks to be partially homemade.  The uprights seem weird, welded in the middle, like someone was just using metal laying around.  Pivots look to be just bolts.  The cross bar also appears to be welded to the tractor.  The bucket and arms look like factory stuff, but aren't self leveling, the Wards loader that was available for these was self leveling.  I would not bet on that engine running, it is off for a reason and missing a lot of parts.  Tractor is a '74 or up direct gear start, I can tell by the light switch decal and the black engine.  Not a lot of value there, in my opinion.  The bucket and arms would be the only thing of value for a loader build starting point.  Tractor itself only worth scrap money in that condition, not a lot of people looking for those, although they are a tough tractor.

#5 BigRedFishDad OFFLINE  

BigRedFishDad
  • 11 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:44 AM

What would you pay for it.

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:46 AM

What kind of condition are the cylinders in, pitted, rusted. Cylinders are costly. Looks like by the way it's built , it would lift high. Offer 400.00 and see what happens.

Noel

#7 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:49 AM

It appears to be a high lift loader, similar to the one on my Pow'rMax, that's been cut down to fit the tractor. The loader alone even with bad hoses, is worth $800 or more around here. I'd offer $500, but I'd pay up to $700-$800. It will go on most any tractor with a few hours work.

Edited by toppop52, March 09, 2016 - 09:51 AM.

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 10:13 AM

Looks like a "bucket" full of problems to me

• MolonLabe said thank you

#9 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 10:23 AM

What would you pay for it.

Personally, I wouldn't even look at it because my offer would insult him.  I, personally have no use for a loader on a garden tractor, I know some like them, just my opinion.  For what you would spend on that to make it safe and functional, I would put the money towards an old skid steer and have twice the machine for the money.  In its current, worn out condition, I would top out at $100, about twice scrap price.

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 12:19 PM

Bigfish, First off, Welcome to GTtalk. I guess I missed you joining up but I'm located in the Seguin area and if I can offer any help, let me know.

The loader could be a good deal only if the pump, cylinders, hoses and valves are in good shape. I would have to look at all those pieces before I would offer him anything close to what he's asking for it. All the frame works might be worth a couple hundred if you have to repair a lot of the components.

Good Luck and let us know what you do on this one.

#11 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 12:23 PM

I'd pass on that.

#12 BigRedFishDad OFFLINE  

BigRedFishDad
  • 11 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 12:48 PM

I'll go look at it and see what condition it is in and then I work out and offer with him and see if he will take. I don't think I would pay more than $600 but I'll see what happens
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#13 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 02:10 PM

I'd be looking at the loader as what I'm buying, if any part of the tractor is good, it's a bonus.

As for the worth of a loader on a garden tractor, mine have been worth their weight in gold over the years. A skid steer will tear up lawns etc... If you need to clean out chicken houses or move large amounts of media and don't care about the turf, a skid steer is great. But if you want to make flower beds, raised gardens, move an occasional tree, take tools and materials to your job site, a garden tractor loader is great! It's the single most useful tool I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot.

• TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#14 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 06:33 PM

I would say you have to take a good look in order to offer price.

As everyone has said depends on condition of cylinders etc.

Hope no water got in

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loader 16hp montgomery ward, loader, 16hp, worth it, craigslist