• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,126 Thanks
  • 1,430 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 09:56 PM

I found a Johnson model 14 loader for sale and I'm thinking about buying it. First question I have is if anyone can identify what brand tractor the subframe mounts too. I'm thinking it could be Cub Cadet but that's only because the owner is also selling a large number of Cub Cadet tractors. Next are there any problem areas to check on these loaders? I'm fine with doing minor repairs but don't want to rebuild everything.

I've been wanting a loader for awhile now and I'm considering buying this one. I want to put it on my Bolens 1250 so I would need to modify the subframe to fit. The seller is asking 750, is that a fair price?

Attached Thumbnails

• loader.jpg

• limebuzz and Traill95 have said thanks

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 10:05 PM

I had a cub 149 with a Johnson 14 loader. Never had an issue with it. Those look like cub mounts, but can't say for sure. Mine didn't come with mounts. Fabbed up my own. It wasn't too difficult. I would say for 750, go for it. Just make sure and check pump for play, hydraulic hoses for cracking, and the cylinders for leaks or seepage. Good luck!!

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,309 Thanks
  • 4,908 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 10:18 PM

That looks very much like the mounts that were on my Johnson when I got it. Haven't got a clue what it came off of. 

Someone suggested a JD 318 but I have no way to verify that. 

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,641 Thanks
  • 28,301 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 10:24 PM

If pump, controls, and cyl are all good... No cracks or bends... Buy it.
You may have to build your own subframe but you will probably be able to fund that by selling the subframe that's there (once you figure out what it belongs to )

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 923 Thanks
  • 645 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 10:35 PM

My first question would be how familiar are you with hydraulics? Nothing there is hard to rebuild but a little knowledge goes a long way in this area. If you can see any areas where the cylinders are damaged I am not sure how cheaply they will be scourced. It sounds like a good buy and plenty of us have hydraulic knowledge and parts, you just need tohave confidence in yourself and you should be alright.

#6 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 479 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 12:40 AM

The mounts look very similiar to what I have on my Cub 149 but my fel is a Danco not a Johnson.  Here is what mine looks like.

20160117_153539.jpg 20160205_200656.jpg

In my area $750 is a good price for fel.  You can't build one for that amount.  I would buy it!

• MH81 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,729 Thanks
  • 2,154 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 02:52 PM

I'm not sure what the mounts are from but $750 is a good price IF everything is there and in decent shape. When I bought mine I paid $1000 and still had to redo all the mounts.

#8 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,166 Thanks
  • 2,244 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 02:04 PM

I would offer $600 and see what he comes back at you with.$750 sounds like a good deal if the cylinders are not all pitted up and leaking.Those cylinders Can be rebuilt but it's cheaper to buy new ones if they need the chrome re-plated.

My 2 brothers work for Caterpillars Hymac division down near Harrisburgh.They rebuild cylinders every day.I had them get me a quote on rebuilding a small lift cylinder off of a GT and well I could of bought one New for what the quote was.I ended up getting a used one for 1/10 the price.

You'll want to have some money put back for atleast the steel,mig wire and gas.That sub frame does look like it's off of a wide frame Cub cadet.Your definitely going to have to do some fab work to make it fit a big old Bolens 1250.The frame on a Cub Cadet is alot narrower than your Bolens.