23 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 08:55 PM

My first one was from HF.  it was supposed have another trigger to switch from bump fire to sequential fire but they discontinued them.  (Thank much HF)  I was nailing 2X2 frames together when I shot one nail in and the gun bumped the frame and -  IMG_0001.jpg

That 3" nail went under the finger nail and under the skin on the second finger.  No blood, no pain, just two fingers nailed together.  Worst was in at ER.  A little Indian Dr. thought my hand was a pin cushion and kept sticking that darn needle in pushing the deadening fluid out along the nail, time after time. Ii told her it was not staying and she said she knew what she was doing.  Yea right.  Finally got it deadened and she thought she was going to pull that nail out with a little forceps like they use for stitches.  WRONG  After the third time she slipped off I handed the nurse my pliers and said use a tool suitable for the task at hand.  The cleaned up my pliers and finally got to removing the nail.  Needless to say we had a big disagreement when I got the bill.  Settled for 1/4th of the original charge but had to threaten them with malpractice before that happened.  Best part was the nurses, which I knew from my working days, agreed with me.

Moral of the story, be darn careful when using those nailers in bump mode.  Only good for large flat surfaces.

Edited by chieffan, March 09, 2016 - 08:03 AM.

• lyall and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#17 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 08:58 PM

That is crazy!

Thankfully I havent done anything like that before...

Worst I seen first had was when my grandfather cut half his ring finger off on his left hand with a circular saw. I learned a healthy respect for saws after that

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,537 Thanks
  • 3,924 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 10:00 PM

I got a finger a while ago. Stuck a 3" through it. It sure made it sensitive to the cold. Lifes lessons.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#19 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:54 AM

Great tools, pay attention to all the safety issues mentioned above.

ALSO be very careful of "OFF BRAND" replacement nails. ( the box said guaranteed to fit about 1/2 the money) We bought a case at a Lumber Yard one time. Couple guys were complaining it was jamming about every third nail, checked it and yes they were ever so slightly angled different. wasted the whole $$ savings.

Seen several injuries over the years like Cheiffans, these things are quick and have no morals, they'll stick anybody anytime....

#20 camdigger ONLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 10:19 AM

When I built my garage and shop, I found a Porter Cable nailer that will take 2 3/4" to 3 1/4" nails. I use the longer ones for framing and the short ones for sheathing.

I loaned it to a neighbor with some ring shank nails for building cattle shelters with rough 1" lumber. He loved it.

I also have a Porter Cable brad nailer that I am quite happy with.

I bought a cheapie 1/4" crown stapler for underlay. I used it to staple 3 sheets down before going back to town for a nice Bostitch stapler.

I didn't use the stapler since I finished the house, but still drag out the nailer and brad nailer once in a while.

I've used roofing nailers too, but have always rented or borrowed. I made my mind up long ago to go with steel roofing, so have no need for a roofing nailer.

Edited by camdigger, March 09, 2016 - 10:21 AM.

#21 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,701 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 10:36 AM

I've used air nailers for years and love them. I like the Bostitch brand, myself!

+1

#22 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 05:07 PM

My wife & I totally gutted and remolded an old house in the early 90's.

This old house (sounds like a PBS show) had a lot of old oak studs and other oak lumber.

Had I not had a pneumatic nailer, I would never have been able to do the job!

#23 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 07:27 AM

Being in the construction business can't imagine working without them. I still have my old Bostich & Senco nailers. I had to retire my Hilti frame gun a few years ago because of the nails being very hard to find or too expensive.The best advice is to treat them like a loaded gun & always keep fingers slightly farther away than the nail is long. I've seen some very nasty accidents over the years.

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 07:55 AM

shot about a 100 nails out of it last night.  She works great, and doesn't seem to overly tax my compressor either.  Works real nice.