Air nailers

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 02:29 PM

Well, today I have finally joined the club.  I have always been anti air nailer, not so much anti but as I never seen the need, but last summer when I was helping my friend finish the upstairs in 2 story garage using an air framing nailer, and an air finish nailer I was sold.  So easy, and SO MUCH FASTER!  And best of all no more smashed thumbs!

I am embarking on my latest project and I was thinking about picking a set up.  My wife told me to go a hold, when your wife tells you to go buy a new tool you go do it!

So I browsed home depot for about 20 minutes looking at their wall of shiny new air nailers.  Prices ranged from 100 to 400 for these bad boys.  I didn't have experience with most of the brands.  My friend had rigid, and they worked great, the price was up around 290 for just one nailer.  I finally laid eyes on the bright yellow dewalt brand.  179 for the framing(on sale from 249) and 189 for the 15 gauge finish nailer.  I was sold.  Price was middle of the road and I like dewalt stuff.

My pocket book a little lighter after the nailers, nails, and a bag of new goodies, I ran out of there before I spent anymore.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

• Member No: 66603
  • 622 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 02:38 PM

They sure do make quick work of a job. Used a shingle nailer more than I like to remember. Congrats on cleared by the boss prior to purchase. Sure saves a lot of explaining later.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,046 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 03:02 PM

I've used air nailers for years and love them. I like the Bostitch brand, myself!

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,772 Thanks
  • 4,277 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 03:06 PM

Just be careful and learn the tool.  DO NOT use it on bump fire if it has that capability till you are completely familiar with it. Great time saver like has been said. The small brad nailer are great also.  Used my framing nailer again yesterday.  Now you will want a easily portable air compressor.  Mine is to darn heavy to be moving around much.  Need to put larger wheels on it and pull it with a GT.

• TheFarm2004, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 03:11 PM

Mine is to darn heavy to be moving around much.  Need to put larger wheels on it and pull it with a GT.

I have an upright 20 gallon craftsman that I use as a portable.  It's friggin loud.  I bought a 100 feet of air hose so I can hopefully leave the darn thing sit outside, shut the doors, and not have to listen to it blast in my ear. 

I almost picked up a pancake compressor too, but I figured that might of pushed my wife too far :rolling:

I hear you on the bump fire, they can get out of control on you real easy if you aren't in a steady position.  I don't think that's a good idea nailing in studs but for sheathing I may give it a try!

• propane1 said thank you

#6 MiCarl ONLINE  

• Member No: 75926
  • 684 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 03:47 PM

I purchased my first brad nailer last spring.  I was pre-finished wall panels in a mobile home and found that if I used a hammer the wall would flex and throw the nail back over my shoulder.  I got a $29 cheapie from Menards and it's been worth its weight in gold.

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,888 Thanks
  • 3,119 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 04:27 PM

My son was using a finish nailer while he was in school years ago, he was nailing a small project together, holding the piece with his fingers and thumb. He put the nail into the wood and hit a knot, the nail curled around, came out of the wood and through his thumb. Gotta watch those nailer's, powerful tools. 

• Alc, boyscout862, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,505 Thanks
  • 6,377 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 04:31 PM

I never saw need either. Used on a roof a few times and sold now on that.  Used framer for last roof repair also and some front structure on house. They are kinda big, but really work and pull the items in tight w/out effort is best part. Goes quick-enough that won't split out wood as much as hand nailing might I think.  I messed with trim brad nailer a little, not so sure on liking that yet. Most nails too long and no real head on them to hold good it looks like. Have to try another sometime to see how goes on bigger project.  I've used Bosch, just rented for times I've used. The little presser right on roof or in room is much better than real long hoses from garage, which didn't seem to deliver well for me.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 04:41 PM

I bought a Duofast framing nailer 25 years ago. It was in excellant condition and only $90. A contractor had gone out of business(most did in the early 90s) and was selling off his business tools. It can handle 3 1/2" nails. It got a real workout when framing my house. I also bought a coil sheathing type nailer. The first day framing my house the carpenter that I hired said that he didn't want to use an air nailer. By lunch time he had changed his mind and was walking a good distance to get the nailer. I still have it and use it occassionally. ALWAYS WEAR EYEPROTECTION WITH THOSE. Little pieces of of the connector material come flying out sometimes.  Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#10 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,321 Thanks
  • 3,746 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 06:14 PM

Pneumatic nailers really speed up a project. At work, all our nailers are setup for the bump fire. It would be hard to go without that. It takes a bit to get used to dragging a hose along, but it's worth it.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 06:41 PM

I worked in residential construction for about 7 years, and used the pneumatic nailers all the time...Framing, roofing and finish nailers.

I own a brad nailers and a finish nailer. for some DIY projects.

I once got a nail in my knee when it glanced off of a 2 X 4 stud!

Buddy got one in his index finger.....BE CAREFUL!

Edited by KC9KAS, March 09, 2016 - 05:04 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,242 Thanks
  • 7,473 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 07:27 PM

The little presser right on roof or in room is much better than real long hoses . . .

I got a premium roof nailer from HF for less than $100. Haven't had a problem with it. It's so much faster than hammer nailing. The only thing is dragging that hose around. GL's comment makes sense.

#13 lyall ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,711 Thanks
  • 1,384 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 07:35 PM

I got mine for Menards when I when building my second garage/workshop.  It is 30x 42.  sure helped.  I am almost used a large box of nails so far.  Still doing a good job.  Also got a brad nailer from Harbor Freight, was on sell for around $14.  You still have be careful and watch the grain of the wood.  Nails will bend.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 08:36 PM

Never had a framing hammer but have use a brad nailer for years. They drive without splitting. Nothing more aggravating than working to get a perfect miter on a piece of molding then splitting it with a finishing nail!

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 08:44 PM

Off to a bad start tonight. Didn't get to try it out. But it is pretty. My dad oogled over them.

Bought anchors for the block and realized I didn't have a masonary bit for the hilti for them. So back to lowes to get different screws that I had a bit for!