3 replies to this topic

#1 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 06:04 PM

Every other year it seems we need to replace the battery in our Homelite T 16-H. I rarely run the lights but I keep a battery tender on it most times. It does have the electric lift on it and I use it a lot in the spring and summer when I till gardens with it. I have been buying the L&G tractor batteries with the 300 cca.. It had originally came with a Group 27 or 29 size battery similar to a car or truck. When I bought it from my step mom after my dads passing it had the original battery in it from 1972. Yup that's right. Dad always took care of the battery. It was one that you could add water and make sure the level was up. It lasted about two years and then died. I am not going to waste more money on the small battery anymore. I will pay for a battery that will last and take the charging from the Delco Remy generator and will take all the use of the electric lift. The generator puts out 13.5 volts and hold that well during use. I have the original battery cables for it as well as the original battery hold downs for the ends of the battery. A little over a year ago I redid the battery box and cleaned and painted it and made a new hold down for the battery. Guess it will have to be a battery from Interstate to satisfy me. Thanks.                                                                                                                                           Roger

• KennyP, Cvans, CRFarnsworth and 4 others have said thanks

#2 lyall OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,709 Thanks
  • 1,382 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 08:52 PM

I have got car/truck batteries from Advance Auto.  I get the ones with a 3 year warranty.  Had two replaced so far that were under warranty. and no cost to me and still got 3 warranty on the new replacement battery.  Still got one in a garden tractor now for around 7 years and still going good.

when one of my cars/ truck need a new battery ( over 3 or 4 years old)than I buy a new battery for the car or truck and put the old battery into the garden tractor/s and turn in the battery from the garden tractor.  They hold up good in the garden tractors.

• hamman said thank you

#3 Chopperhed ONLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 08:59 PM

I buy batteries from a local rebuilder. He charges about 40.00 each, and guarantees them for 1 year. The one in the van has been going strong for 5 years now. I can't justify spending 3 times as much for new when these work so well.
  • hamman said thank you

#4 Phluphy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 11:01 PM

I was experiencing problems with the lower amp GT batteries using my log mover with Warn winch. Winch kept killing the battery, like every few months it was being replaced.

Not sure of what the critter is I found at one of the local farm supply stores but, what caught my eye was 12 volt, 650 cca. It's some type of golf cart battery if I recall. Have not experienced battery problems since and that's with starting the GT 15+ times a day and going so far as using just the battery to operate the winch when popping trees.

It's not much larger than a regular LT/GT battery but the cca is killer and recharge is fast.

• hamman said thank you