• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 05:53 AM

Thanks , I plan to try real hard to make some nice tractors and always willing to share anything I can. I am new to garden tractors but was a certified auto mechanic so very mechanically inclined and learn real quick. If not for sites like these It would be a much tougher challenge so I try to share what I can or what I feel someone can use as a return. 

I am learning that besides the engine and a few small changes in design these sears are all the same, biggest difference is what you pointed out the engines. I was sole searching for what power plant I was/am going to use and I think I will stick with the single cylinders. Although I would like the extra HP for snow blowing I like simplicity of the smaller single cylinders. 

• KennyP and Bmerf have said thanks

#17 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,484 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 11:47 AM

I am not sure if there is a difference in a sears 16/6 vs a SS16 so am asking your advice, are they basically the same tractor with just a new badge? 

I have never heard of a Sears SS16 Hydro Trac so I am wondering if it can be done. 

Sorry I missed this a few months ago or I would have answered.

The 16/6 badging was used only for the year 1978, it was transition year as they  went to the GTxx badging in 1978. Other than the decals, they are the same tractor as the 16/6 Twin. They also had a 16/6 single with a Tecumseh and an 18/6 twin.

Sears did make a hydro I think in '77, i.e. "18/6 hydro" ( I saw a pic of one last week on FB a guy was trying to buy)  and a few of the GT18's and maybe a handful of GT19.9. They are out there, but not a lot pop up. I don't think there was any hydros made between 71-76. You could make one if you found all the right parts.

I had a list that someone put together of the exact years and models of the hydros, but I can't find it now :wallbanging:

It was like 68-71then 77-79

• MH81, Sawdust and John Arsenault have said thanks

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 04:51 PM

Thanks , I plan to try real hard to make some nice tractors and always willing to share anything I can. I am new to garden tractors but was a certified auto mechanic so very mechanically inclined and learn real quick. If not for sites like these It would be a much tougher challenge so I try to share what I can or what I feel someone can use as a return. 

I am learning that besides the engine and a few small changes in design these sears are all the same, biggest difference is what you pointed out the engines. I was sole searching for what power plant I was/am going to use and I think I will stick with the single cylinders. Although I would like the extra HP for snow blowing I like simplicity of the smaller single cylinders. 

John, it's folks like you with experience and knowledge that help the new folks do lots more than they anticipated!  We are all here to help in whatever way we can!

• MH81, Bmerf, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#19 NCHippy OFFLINE  

NCHippy
  • Member No: 83894
  • 12 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 07:47 PM

We've got a few of these on craigslist in my area. I'm half tempted to buy them because I'm nearly in love with those fenders and the general look of this machine :)

https://asheville.cr...5689241139.html

• Sawdust said thank you

#20 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,484 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 07:42 AM

We've got a few of these on craigslist in my area. I'm half tempted to buy them because I'm nearly in love with those fenders and the general look of this machine :)

https://asheville.cr...5689241139.html

that appears to be a custom, not a suburban. most likely a ST10. The suburban front attachments will not work with a custom.

• NCHippy said thank you

#21 70searssuburban OFFLINE  

70searssuburban
  • Member No: 85247
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 15, 2016 - 08:07 PM

any help be much appreciated i got a 1970 sears surbuban ss12 no engine looking to see what kind of cheap, dependable 12+ hp engine i can put in it building it to do tractor pulls along with my new craftsmen 11 hp that i just got all set up with wheelie bars and foot throttle.