• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 769 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 02:13 PM

I have started another SS12 before finishing the other.....This one is for my wife and since it was cold out with snow on the ground I decided to bring it into the garage and get it prepped. This one will have a Snow Blower or what sears calls a 39" rotary snow plow on the front and gobs of weight on the rear. My wife also decided that we will be painting it back to original color, and the one that I just did in MF blue as well. I took a liking to that MF blue but I have to agree having two matching sears would be a lot cooler specialty one with a manual and one with a hydro both being a 68. 

20160307_131453.jpg

Here is her new ride

20160307_131226.jpg

I wont mind changing the color the prep work is the worse part, plus I never got around to the fenders or rims and she has agreed to help me if I change colors ...Score!! 

20160115_124245.jpg

These are what we are using at the moment ....we love them .....but soon to be replaced by Suburbans!

20160113_141509 (1).jpg

Heres a lil action photo as a tease ....I do love using a left side clutch/brake combo even more so then my wheel horse. with the clutch on the left and the brake on the right. 

BTW I have the McCarr-master brake liner done and wow this thing stops on a dime and leaves a nickle change thanks for that valuable info I have found here for that. Also running on and Overnight Solution ignition even the coil I got from him was made in U.S.A. so thats what I am going to do for this next one. You guys have been the great for me being able to find the info I need on my tractor adventures.

In case your wondering I am not against doing rims...lol...I am just using what tires I have until I buy tires I want then I will be doing them. So much easier to blast paint and repair with out tires mounted. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160115_124318.jpg
  • 20160113_141525 (1).jpg

Edited by John Arsenault, March 07, 2016 - 02:14 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, larrybl, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 769 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 02:19 PM

20160307_131515.jpg

The 39" snow blower I got for it.  Metal is in great shape will be sweet once its blasted and refinished.

Hence why I don't post photos often I always seem to mess it up ...didn't mean to put my horse photo in with out the company of a Suburban....lol 

• KennyP, Traill95 and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 02:52 PM

attachicon.gif20160307_131515.jpg

The 39" snow blower I got for it.  Metal is in great shape will be sweet once its blasted and refinished.

Hence why I don't post photos often I always seem to mess it up ...didn't mean to put my horse photo in with out the company of a Suburban....lol 

I have the same Blower, and the manual for it. Let me know if you need any info.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-415-0-52347300-1442180921.jpg

Edited by larrybl, March 07, 2016 - 02:52 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 04:33 PM

This should be fun to watch! But what is this SNOW stuff? 68° here right now!

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 05:29 PM

I like the Horse better. Be for sale?  Wife must have the Whip in your family?? Ha! 

#6 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 769 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 05:31 PM

Thats a nice Roper...gives me an idea of how nice my blower can look if i work hard at it ...

Yep this snow stuff is very common here in Maine , thats why I wanted to take up garden "tractoring" during the winter. Its a great sport to get into , not only keep you out of trouble but gets you excited to see snow. 

• larrybl and KennyP have said thanks

#7 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Thats a nice Roper...gives me an idea of how nice my blower can look if i work hard at it ...

Yep this snow stuff is very common here in Maine , thats why I wanted to take up garden "tractoring" during the winter. Its a great sport to get into , not only keep you out of trouble but gets you excited to see snow. 

Thanks! One of the reasons that I posted to your build, so I can get updates and see how you are doing. I would like to do a Sears, but they are rare around here.

#8 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 769 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:07 AM

I like the Horse better. Be for sale?  Wife must have the Whip in your family?? Ha! 

I could be talked out of the horse with a 1968 Sears Super 12  in the same condition. ....I have a dump cart , rear discharge mower deck, Spring load plow, snow blower, and the tach o matic in the rear front and center. and approx 60 hours on the engine rebuild. 

As far as the whip goes....If offering to help me sand and repaint a tractor is cracking the whip , she can crack it all she wants. 

20151030_094024.jpg

I was not happy with the MF blue and she knew it.

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 769 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 09:23 PM

I have been busy with work gaining funds to continue these two tractors. It will be awhile though before the two are complete once again as I will be tearing the blue one back down and doing it all again. I am in the mean while gathering all the this I know I will need in advance. Brake liner, fuel lines, filter, wiring , belts, Gaskets, bolts and hardware etc. 

Anyway I got an offer from a guy on a Sears 16/6 thats is pretty rough shape but says he can make me a good deal on it.  I ran across a CL Ad some time ago on a really cool custom build where he took a rear of a 69 put it on the front of a 73 then stuck a 16 onan in it and it seemed to fit and look quite nice.  .....Take a look at this  https://nh.craigslis...5431822074.html

I am not sure if there is a difference in a sears 16/6 vs a SS16 so am asking your advice, are they basically the same tractor with just a new badge? 

I would like to do this 68 hydro trac instead of the manual because I will have a snow blower on the hydro. I am not seeing any potential problems besides the hood  maybe some throttle cables and or choke linkage so if you guys think of  anything please chime in specially if its a big issue I could end up with. 

I have never heard of a Sears SS16 Hydro Trac so I am wondering if it can be done. 

#10 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 769 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 08:03 PM

Well here we go I decided to ditch the idea of and engine swap and keep it original. This time I am going to get the tractor running and repaired before I start to disassemble and restore. I was able to get enough parts from a donor tractor to repair this hydro and also add a few needed thing to "stinky" the 68 manual. 

So now I have my 2nd Sears in running condition My 3rd will not be anytime soon although I do have a 3rd in the works it will be another hydro probably the junkiest of the bunch but found out that its rare so I told my self that I have to fix it up. 

20160715_193654.jpg

Here she sits as of today. 

This is one fun tractor to drive around the controls are quite smooth but very sensitive there is one interesting thing that I did not know about the sears hydros, when you step on the brake lightly it disengages the drive if you push the brake to the floor it returns the hydro lever to neutral. I really love that! This will be my wifes tractor so I wanted it to be easy to control and simple to use and that it is. 

Have a few repairs to do before I can use it , although you see the deck on it yes I tried it out but didn't do much more then that because I need a fan blade for the hydro cooling and have a bungee holding the battery.

Both of these are having carb Issues I have the old style main jets in each and I did not mess with them but I know they been messed with because I can only get them to run right with a little choke once I push the choke all the way in they start to loop at idle. I think if I can locate the pin hole in the threads I can make my own service nozzle 30.00 a pop is a bit off budget right now with all the other things I need to do and get still. So far I figured out a less then a dollar throttle shaft repair so I am sure if I take my time I can file the threads away and get it to work. Well pretty sure.

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 NCHippy OFFLINE  

NCHippy
  • Member No: 83894
  • 12 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 09:09 PM

I really like the rounded fenders over the rear wheels, those look super sharp and they look to be in great shape too!

• John Arsenault said thank you

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted July 15, 2016 - 09:51 PM

I carefully chuck them in the drill and use a mill pitch file. Not too tight just firm enough so they won't slip or wobble.
Take all the threads off from the hole down.
Works for me
  • Sawdust and John Arsenault have said thanks

#13 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 769 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 07:34 AM

I carefully chuck them in the drill and use a mill pitch file. Not too tight just firm enough so they won't slip or wobble.
Take all the threads off from the hole down.
Works for me

20160716_082237.jpg

Thank you MH you have me a great idea, the drill worked perfect, I did not have a small file so believe it or not I pull this off with a 4 1/2" angle grinder , I felt like a surgeon using a machete. [

If it works I'll be doing the next one the same way.

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 769 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 05:21 PM

Well I have done it , got this old 68 hydro running the carb turned out great and is running like a champ. I have since then fixed a hydro leak, changed fluids tranny and axle, attached the 48" mower deck. I have all the body parts installed and plan to use it the way its is for now.

Ran out of parts again for me to get the other hydro going (not shown in photo) so it will be a while for Sears #3 to arrive 

20160719_150836.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#15 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 63 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 10:23 PM

Nice work on those Suburbans. Thanks for sharing.

Re your question "I am not sure if there is a difference in a sears 16/6 vs a SS16 so am asking your advice, are they basically the same tractor with just a new badge?".

I think you will find that the 16/6 Twin which has an Onan Twin cylinder is very similar to the SS16 (16/6 Twin has a newer model Onan). There was also a 16/6 with a single cylinder Tecumseh - that is very similar to the ST-16 that was sold at the same time as the SS-16 (approximately 1973 to 1976).

• KennyP and John Arsenault have said thanks