Just MC-Pick Two'd these up.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 67204
  • 279 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 12:14 AM

Just picked-two MW by Gilson tractors. The first one has a 1974 gear-starter type  B&S engine with a blown rod. The ag tires take air but the outer plys are blown out in a few places. The second tractor is very similar but looks to be about a year older with a 1973 B&S engine equipped with a starter-generator. There was still a little ancient fuel in the tank. The engine had oil in it and was not locked up. I sprayed a little lube in the bore and some choke spray in the carb and she fired up with the jump pack. I need to repair the terminal connections to the ignition switch. Both have Vickers hydros which look to leak, and have hydraulic lift. OEM wheel weights on one of them. In the 6 or so hours I had them I got the carb cleaned, oil changed and air filter replaced on the runner. It has a rear discharge deck. Unfortunately the dash/cowl is busted.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4269.jpg
  • IMG_4270.jpg
  • IMG_4273.jpg
  • IMG_4274.jpg
  • IMG_4276.jpg
  • IMG_4279.jpg
  • IMG_4280.jpg

Edited by ACmowerguy, March 07, 2016 - 12:18 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, case442 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,701 Thanks
  • 2,163 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 05:00 AM

Beefy looking tractor !!!  glad you got them running.  whats your plans for them ?

#3 Mtypython OFFLINE  

• Member No: 80530
  • 250 Thanks
  • 283 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 05:23 AM

They look like a heavy tractor,look in good shape paiint wise

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,494 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 06:16 AM

I like the belt guard for the s/g :thumbs:  Never noticed one before

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,689 Thanks
  • 28,332 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 07:43 AM

A two-fer, nice job.
Look like they both have lots of potential.

#6 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 157 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 09:22 AM

A gear starter 16 Hydro is what I have been looking for, to match my gear start gear drives.  I would also like a rear discharge deck.

#7 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 67204
  • 279 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 12:29 AM

A little update. The '73 with starter-generator is now running well. It was running too hot to use. Initially I feared a sheared flywheel key and necessary engine removal to replace it. After some investigation I found this was because there was still much more mouse nest crammed in the shroud than I first thought and had initially blown off the cylinder head. I pulled the tinwork off the headbolts and fins and blew out as much as possible, then ran the engine with those shrouds off briefly while also blowing around in the shroud with an extended reach blowgun. I think its cleaned out good now. Reassembled the tinwork and ran the engine for 15 minutes in the dark in varying loads. The muffler was no longer glowing inside so I believe the problem is resolved. Runs like a new engine. The hydro does leak badly around the top of the exposed shaft. The tractor with the blown engine has a dry looking hydro and better paint. Might do some swapping between the two.

• KennyP and CRFarnsworth have said thanks