#1 neverenough OFFLINE  

neverenough
  • Member No: 49492
  • 7 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 01:48 PM

I spotted this on CL a while back.

http://southjersey.c...5389853454.html

I went to look at the thing last week, he's got a very complete decal set for it, a brand new hood, its got four brand new tires, and a new or rebuilt trans axle bought from a local dealer years ago. The motor has strong compression, the tank is clean, and the deck is in good shape.

The new hood, PTO cover, and fender pan has been painted and looks good.

He's asking $750, I tried to buy it for less but he won't budge.

I looked at another 112 that needs all of the new parts this one already has, but that seller wants $400 for just the tractor, with no deck. I couldn't find all the decals available anywhere. The dealer says they're discontinued.

Something that really stood out about the one on CL is that the steering is crisp and turns free, the tie rods are in good shape, and the front axle has little to no play. I don't think that machine has seen much use over its life.

Does $750 sound like a fair price for this tractor?

#2 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 03:35 PM

I don't think so, the price seems to be right if the tractor was all assembled and ready to play.  you will be paying good money for someone else's project and on top of that he didn't spend any of the money on parts.  sounds like someone just trying to make a buck to me.  Check maple hunter decals for your decal set they have ahuge selection and have very good quality.

Pete           

#3 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 04:21 PM

If that thing has all the decals, their worth nearly what he's asking. I paid over $600 for the decals for my 112 back when they were still available from the dealer 15 years ago. There's a difference between the screen printed original decals and the aftermarker vinyl replacements sold today.The transaxle would bring $150, the motor about $175-200 if its not blown, two rear 23x10.50-12 rear tires are $130 per pair, the front tires another $75. The deck is worth about a $100, a new hood like that brings $200-250, especially if its a JD original. 
I  also don't see how what the current owner paid has to do with what the parts are worth, what I see is a fairly easy project where someone else did all the leg work hunting down the hard to find items. All that's left is some paint and a few hours putting it all back together. Should any of us sell something we own for a cut rate just because we got a deal? If I buy a piece gold at a yardsale, should I sell it to the jeweler for less just because I got it cheaper than what its worth?

Tht tractor wouldn't be worth any more all together and running unless the seller finished it completely, and even then I don't see anyone paying for that service if they can do it themselves. Myself, I'd rather find one in that condition so I can do the paint work myself.  I'm always more suspicious of a completely painted and finished car or tractor with the thought that they may have just tossed it together fast to resell it vs. a proper prep and repaint.
If it were mine, I'd probably be parting it out since it seems no one wants to pay for anything these days as a whole.
The seller would make more than double what he's asking if he parted the whole thing out.

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 06:04 PM

While I agree the price seems high, I would also say that hunting parts down and getting them into your possession takes time.  My time has value so I would consider it if I were looking for an easy project to finish. 

Some thoughts based on what I see in the pics:

- Kohler powered 112 (+ in my book)

- good hood (another + in my book)

- original seat pan in good condition (another + in my book)

- new tires (another + in my book)

- 4 wheel deck is later (another + in my book)

Starting from scratch with a mechanically tractor is still not cheap as I have $2,000+ in my worker 120.

Ultimately, it is your call.

Pics are from the CL ad

Attached Thumbnails

• 00d0d_3ToTHn1a8RC_600x450.jpg
  • 00F0F_8FIluMTS0aP_600x450.jpg
  • 00F0F_9pNx9cIlFox_600x450.jpg
  • 00n0n_iACFddzreVq_600x450.jpg
  • 00Q0Q_exwjr4jq3DW_600x450.jpg
  • 00t0t_f4IeTKcIqir_600x450.jpg
  • 00T0T_6wQ8jVNS9uW_600x450.jpg
  • 00T0T_6wQ8jVNS9uW_600x450.jpg
  • 00w0w_h3ubZYnOn4R_600x450.jpg
  • 00W0W_9BSrXeMQusA_600x450.jpg
  • 00x0x_h5dgVuIRNpf_600x450.jpg
  • 00X0X_9ZOgQQYgkGF_600x450.jpg
  • 00y0y_dZg4ZLKI2kj_600x450.jpg
  • 01010_SmpVn5yizO_600x450.jpg

Edited by Trav1s, March 06, 2016 - 06:09 PM.

#5 neverenough OFFLINE  

neverenough
  • Member No: 49492
  • 7 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 11:21 PM

After looking at a few others that turned out to be really rough for the same money or more, I hooked up the trailer and tried to call the seller today but got no answer. The fact that this one has all the new parts and all the decals makes it more than worth it to me I guess. The chances of gathering all the right decals for one of these after I paint isn't likely going to happen. I can make this thing look new with minimal work.

The way I see it is this one looks good to start with, its dusty but not worn at all. Things that normally show wear aren't worn. We pushed it outside in the light and it rolled smooth and easy and steered as if it had power steering. The tires still have glue from the labels on them, and there's a box of spare parts there with what appears to be all the hardware. 

All I'd be doing to it is lifting off the fender pan, pulling the wheels, masking off the steering wheel, and removing the old decals and giving it a fresh coat of JD green. 

I'm looking for a clean tractor to use, not a show piece, but this will really look good with minimal work. The hood, fender pan, and side cover are already painted, and the trans and surrounding areas are also painted already. All I need to do is clean up the motor, frame, and dash tower.

• Trav1s said thank you

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 08, 2016 - 09:18 AM

If you get it, I'd be interested in one of the decals in the mix you might not use on it.  

#7 freeisforme OFFLINE  

freeisforme
  • Member No: 28233
  • 14 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 02:09 AM

I think I saw that tractor when I bought my one Simplicity. They were unloading it off a trailer that day. I've bought a half dozen machines off that guy and everyone has been in pretty decent shape. That 112 looked pretty good under all the dust, even things that weren't repainted weren't in bad condition.

I wish my Simplicity came with all the stuff that JD has with it, it would have saved me a bundle chasing and having decals made.

A buddy tried to buy the four legged deer emblem off the steering wheel but he wouldn't separate it.
He could make far more parting that thing out on eBay but I don't think he gets into parting them out.

He's always got a dozen or more heavier duty garden tractors listed. I think some may be consignment sales from other owners but I can't say for sure.

I think my Simplicity belonged to a guy in PA, he let me talk to the guy on the phone while I was there.

#8 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 10:55 PM

I know this is an old post, but I see this is still listed but without all the decals and hood now?

https://southjersey....5696373426.html