Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

made in China stings again... and again and AGAIN!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 05:16 PM

China is not the only one anymore either.  Just bought a new car for the wife in December.  A new Chevy Trax.  The window sticker says 75% foreign components and the 75% foreign components are ALL from Korea.  And it is manufactured there and then shipped over here.  It has only 4% U.S. made parts in it.  If I'd had looked at the window sticker harder before we bought it I may have left it on the lot.  Hopefully it will be a good reliable car for the Mrs..

• Alc, boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#17 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,600 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 05:23 PM

American consumers fault?....I don't think so. Free trade agreements caused this. The working middle class is getting robbed, and that money is given to the working poor and to those who can't find work, or don't feel like working. Free phones, food and shelter keep them quiet. Huge profits by more than a few are being made from cheap imports. It's a sick game that shouldn't exist in the USA.
  • Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, oldedeeres and 4 others have said thanks

#18 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 06:04 PM

China is not the only one anymore either.  Just bought a new car for the wife in December.  A new Chevy Trax.  The window sticker says 75% foreign components and the 75% foreign components are ALL from Korea.  And it is manufactured there and then shipped over here.  It has only 4% U.S. made parts in it.  If I'd had looked at the window sticker harder before we bought it I may have left it on the lot.  Hopefully it will be a good reliable car for the Mrs..

the land of Hyundai and Kia.   Maybe if more would maintain what they have and keep their cars/tractors/mowers longer this overseas crap would languish at the docks longer to a point of having to send it back on account of lack of storage space? Then maybe these other places would not ship so much of their garbage products here?

Cars trucks mowers etc are machines. Machines need maintenance to stay dependable. "having to work on it" does not necessarily make a machine a piece o' crap. but it definitely extends the life of said machine. Being that I have never bought a vehicle made in China (not sayin that it couldn't have had a component here or there that was sourced from there especially these days)  but it makes me mad that when I need parts even going to the dealer, that I have no choice what so ever, in being forced to buy replacement parts that came from there.  I bought rotors for the front of my Cherokee from the dealer about 5 years ago.. right across the dealer counter thinking I would avoid getting Chinese parts but um, nooo. I paid 2-1/2 times what the local parts places want, but same Chinese rotors that  warped on me in less than a year.  dealer  sticker just slapped over same brand sticker carried at parts store.  Not good, I have had several Jeeps, all were made in Toledo, which, last I knew was still in the USA...
Though I paid the same price as those dealer rotors, (and it takes the exact same ones as that old Cherokee did) I was able to find EBC ones when my Wrangler needed a set last summer, which are made either here or Britain. (NOT CHINA!)

We have lots of Chevys and Fords at work (I am a fleet mech. for the state of IL)  and we get alot of OEM Delco and Motorcraft parts to maintain them... same thing. American car, forced to use imported parts to maintain.

Edited by dodge trucker, March 06, 2016 - 06:14 PM.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 06:11 PM

Growing up, I had lots of influence from Dad and my older brother. I was the kid pedaling a 10 speed around town, dragging a mower behind me with one hand and carrying my gas can and steering the bike with my other hand. 

My Dad put up quite a fuss if I went and mowed someone elses yard and ours was shaggy. Even though these other people paid me and Dad never did I could not do anything for anyone else if ours wasn't done.

and my brother,  well, you know the schoolyard fights where someone goes home and comes back with an older sibling to fight their battles for them?  My brother was quite stubborn and would never "back me up" I was told to "fight my own battles" more than once. 

The world might be a better place if these ideas were applied on a larger scale.

• Bruce Dorsi, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#20 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 07:28 PM

The china junk is biting everyone. In the last year, a new bridge in San Francisco and a new bridge in Canada have serious problems because of inferior hardware. The SF bridge was from china and the Canadian hasn't been reported yet but with low bidders most of the stuff comes from china. The quality assurance inspections are being skipped to save money.

Our current state of the art mismanagement only looks at the very short term bottom line. Sell things as cheap and quickly as possible. They figure the heck with the long term consequences.

Many states are now using a new "environmentally friendlier" road salt. It has the added benefit of eatting steel in 10 years. Many truck frames in my area are ruined by 12 years old. Bridges are suffering significant damage to beams and reinforcing in the concrete decks.

I fight the current "norms" by preferring older equipment that I can fix up and use. My 85 C10 will be restored this spring. My 1955 AC HD6G will be resurrected this spring too, along with a bunch of tractors. Remember: we are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 07, 2016 - 07:08 AM.

• dodge trucker, HANKG and classic have said thanks

#21 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 07:50 PM

This is the world of the global economy and it is just how things are going to go now. We worry about starving kids in every other place and have money going out to countries that would not exist today without our help. Don't get me wrong I love this country and served with pride but without a major adjustment our country is going to run just like that Chinese motor this post was started about! It is time for the U.S. to stand for just that us, there comes a time when if a country or a company cannot hold itself up it is just time for that entity to fall. After all we cannot have progress without failure, sometimes the helping hand that our tax dollars lend is actually holding that country back from making its own way to the freedom and success it deserves.
  • Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#22 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,598 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 08:17 PM

I was going to respond to some of you folks( good comments on here!) but I can't even figure out the lesser of two evils now. We're in deep ca ca here folks.

• skyrydr2, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 08:18 PM

I'm depending on you guys to keep this off the "topics gone wild" list.
If anything gets out of bounds, please, please, please someone hit the report button and draw our attention to it.
  • shorty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#24 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 08:28 PM

I bought a American flag at H.F. This flag is so stiff it won't even blow straight unless there is a storm coming. I'll be looking for another one tomorrow and hopefully to find "Made In America"
  • MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 08:41 PM

I bought a American flag at H.F. This flag is so stiff it won't even blow straight unless there is a storm coming. I'll be looking for another one tomorrow and hopefully to find "Made In America"

Try Ace Hardware.
Ours carries Valley Forge brand.

Another place is the Daughters of the American Revolution or your local VFW or Boy Scouts.
  • Alc, KennyP and cootertom have said thanks

#26 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 07:49 AM

http://www.ibuyamericanstore.com/

Lists a lot of American made products.

• KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks