Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

made in China stings again... and again and AGAIN!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 12:00 PM

I just came down from the attic of my house after having had to replace the attic vent fan.

This was a brand-new fan in fall of '09 when I did a complete roof job. I removed what may have been the original fan from when the house was built in 1965. I only replaced that fan because it "looked old" and had remnants of 4 past reshingle jobs, bit corners of 4 different colors of shingles on it.

I went to Menards (Lowes carried the exact same brand fan)  I remember complaining to the company back then as the box stated in HUGE letters on the front face, "MADE IN USA"... just to pull the unit out of the box and see a Made in China sticker on the motor.... false advertising. 
The company told me that there was "enough" content in the fan to make the "USA" claim. the company is based in Texas. but since Menards' only competition within 30 miles was 1/2 mile away and they carried exactly the same fan there was no point in returning that one to go buy the same thing elsewhere.

so basically "stuck" with this unit. They sell 3 different sized models, I bought the largest; claims to be suitable for 2100 SF under roof, I have 1850... the middle size one was 1800 SF as I remember. I figured it would not have to work as hard so should last longer.... that idea blew up on me.

Also this unit had a twin control, both a thermometer and a humidistat so dual control over when it would run, the smaller ones didnt have.

About 3 years ago it died the 1st time. I bought a whole new fan unit and since I didnt feel like pulling up my metal roof to replace the whole housing, I just used the motor and control from it and scrapped the new housing. 

This time I saw that they now sell "just the motor" for about 1/2 the price of the whole thing. so that was the route I took this time.

Problem being is that although it says "universal" fits all of this company's units, the replacement motor is visibly smaller and is rated at 3.4 instead of 4.3 amps  so I don't expect this one to even last the 3 years that each of the 1st 2 have....

The He11 of it all is that the old one was still working when removed, I just replaced it as a preventative measure "while I was in there"  and lasted 40-some years to that point and now I am on my 3rd replacement of it in just over 6 years.... not the kind of "job security" I want.. I dont get paid to make repairs to my own house.  This company did have a "lifetime" warranty" but to use it I have to hire an electrician for what ~300? to replace a $60 fan.... and they won't pay the electrician's portion of the replacement bill... so that renders the warranty useless.

• Alc, 101 senior, KennyP and 8 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 12:11 PM

That's why I restore old garden tractors and use NOS parts. I don't think I'll ever own a garden tractor that was built with China junk. It's amazing how greed has forced us to have to buy this garbage in this country today.
  • Alc, jpackard56, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 12:49 PM

It's amazing how far China's junk travel to all four corners of the Globe! I like to repair if possible or replace using genuine parts or NOS. a friend of mine bought a cheap lawnmower from B&Q for £99; it lasted just about a season even though he tightened or replaced nuts and bolts. I said he could get a good quality second hand Honda 8zzy for around £120 that would be virtually trouble free. He now heeded my advice and this will be his third season.
  • KennyP, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,043 Thanks
  • 778 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 12:51 PM

I cry for the good old days when everything was made in JAPAN!

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#5 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 01:24 PM

Something pondered for a long time: Where did American ingenuity and quality fall off the track? Can it not be put back?

Not unlike the subject of original post, we never fully realize what we have purchased until it's actually used, then it will more than likely fail to hold up to what it was intended for, especially if it was "Made in China". There was a time "Made in Japan" was of questionable quality, now I would prefer that label over the previous, both for quality of material and workmanship.

But, overall, products made in America, with 100% American materials and labor, would be preferred. Heck one can hardly attempt to contact customer service for products anymore without the proverbial, "All of our representatives are currently blah, blah, blah. Please hold...", message in clearly understandable English, then end up attempting to understand someone referring to a scripted response they are reading from their screen, who has barely a grasp on syntax etc. End result being, nothing of your complaint has been prudently addressed.

IMO, this Country still has the resources and ability, the tenacity to produce seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur, although unlike them, America still exists. 

Edited by Phluphy, March 06, 2016 - 01:26 PM.

• Alc, jpackard56, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#6 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 02:43 PM

And most companies are not immune to it.  I saw a new John Deere last summer at a fair and the 4WD front axle which was made by a different company, (I wanna say ZF but I don't think that is right,) had a tag on it that said made in China.  I just could not believe it.

Edited by IHCubGuy, March 06, 2016 - 02:44 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#7 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 344 Thanks
  • 394 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 02:47 PM

And most companies are not immune to it. I saw a new John Deere last summer at a fair and the 4WD front axle which was made by a different company, (I wanna say ZF but I don't think that is right,) had a tag on it that said made in China. I just could not believe it.

If it was made by ZF it better be darn good. I have a ZF tranny in my truck and it's a solid unit!
  • boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,887 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 02:49 PM

Remember the signs buy American buy Union the job you save may be your own we have been sold down the river with bad trade agreements and worse one's coming.
  • Alc, WHdbJD, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 02:56 PM

Something pondered for a long time: Where did American ingenuity and quality fall off the track? Can it not be put back?

Not unlike the subject of original post, we never fully realize what we have purchased until it's actually used, then it will more than likely fail to hold up to what it was intended for, especially if it was "Made in China". There was a time "Made in Japan" was of questionable quality, now I would prefer that label over the previous, both for quality of material and workmanship.

But, overall, products made in America, with 100% American materials and labor, would be preferred. Heck one can hardly attempt to contact customer service for products anymore without the proverbial, "All of our representatives are currently blah, blah, blah. Please hold...", message in clearly understandable English, then end up attempting to understand someone referring to a scripted response they are reading from their screen, who has barely a grasp on syntax etc. End result being, nothing of your complaint has been prudently addressed.

IMO, this Country still has the resources and ability, the tenacity to produce seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur, although unlike them, America still exists. 

It's not the workers causing this, it's the greed of the management taking things out of the USA!

• Alc, boyscout862, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 03:04 PM

This thing could get political real quick! I'd have to give myself warning points if I respond!!  :wave:  :wave:  :wave: :wave:  

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,729 Thanks
  • 8,910 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 03:31 PM

This thing could get political real quick! I'd have to give myself warning points if I respond!!  :wave:  :wave:  :wave: :wave:

With all the spammers last week, we're fresh out. Have at it.
  • Bolens 1000, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 04:23 PM

We have done this to ourselves. 2 units on the shelf. American made 200 dollars. Chinese 100 dollars. The China units would sell 2 to 1 to the American unit.

This is the American consumers fault. No matter what you say we are all guilty of this!
  • Bolens 1000, DH1, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#13 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 04:29 PM

When I worked at the propane company, they sold Lennox heating and cooling products. On the boxes was a picture of Dave Lennox, is he Chinese??? All the boxes said, made in china. I thought Lennox was a US company. I could be wrong, sorry if I am. Just my opinion. Don't mean to upset anybody.

Noel
  • Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 05:15 PM

I thought I would get zapped with my statement!

• DougT said thank you

#15 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 05:16 PM

That's global economy it's all about the bottom line. And for companies to compete and make a profit got to cut cost  somewhere. Cutting pay not so popular outsourcing another way around it. You would be hard pressed to find anything tag American Made that is one hundred percent made with American parts. As for the china made the Chinese people are not stupid they produce what the companies want. If that's low cost cheap product or a higher quality product.      I've lost jobs to outsourcing. I may not agree with what companies do I can not fault them for trying to keep a business going after all we are a democracy.   

• Alc, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks