13 replies to this topic

#1 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 10:02 AM

The other post about drive shaft differences got me wondering,

how much parts commonality is there between various Bolens mower decks, or at least decks of similar "heavy dutiness"?

For example, are the drive pulleys interchangeable, or spindle shafts or any of the other small parts?

Or asked a different way, if I'm going to rebuild a certain deck and need parts, how choosey do I have to be if I buy a deck for parts?

Dan 

• chieffan said thank you

#2 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 10:21 AM

The other post about drive shaft differences got me wondering,

how much parts commonality is there between various Bolens mower decks, or at least decks of similar "heavy dutiness"?

For example, are the drive pulleys interchangeable, or spindle shafts or any of the other small parts?

Or asked a different way, if I'm going to rebuild a certain deck and need parts, how choosey do I have to be if I buy a deck for parts?

Dan

One of the reasons that we are developing a Bolens Parts Database. At some point, the database will include attachments as well as tractors. Then you can look up a part number and find out where Bolens used it.
  • blackjackjakexxix, chieffan and DL-North have said thanks

#3 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 11:26 AM

Having a/the database is good, but what about either P/N's that are not in it or parts that are interchangeable but have different P/N's?

For example, will parts from a TF deck work in a LF deck? or parts from a 36" deck work in a 48" deck?

Dan  

#4 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 11:35 AM

Having a/the database is good, but what about either P/N's that are not in it or parts that are interchangeable but have different P/N's?

For example, will parts from a TF deck work in a LF deck? or parts from a 36" deck work in a 48" deck?

Dan

For the most part, it seems that Bolens did not change part numbers unless there was some significant difference in the part. For example, they did change the instrument panel part number when they went from push-pull throttle and choke to up/down levers, or when they went from a cast metal instrument panel to a plastic one, even though those are interchangeable. They did also change the part number if the supplier changed dramatically, like their paint supplier. They did not seem to change part numbers very often simply because the application of that part changed. That said, never say never.
  • blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks

#5 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 11:41 AM

Dan

Not knowing of a Tube Frame 48" deck ... if your asking if a large frame 48" deck will parts interchange with a Tube Frame 38" or 42" deck , other than common hardware (nut, bolts, pins ,etc) I'd say no. If it's a specific deck (pictures available ?) For a Tube Frame vs Tube Frame or Large Frame vs Large Frame, you can check in the manuals section and cross reference one part against another.
  • blackjackjakexxix, sodisr, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#6 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 950 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 12:13 PM

Bolens used the same part numbers for same parts, regardless of what they are used on.

The blade spindle assemblies (bearings, shaft, housing, etc.) are commonly used between the 42" Tube Frame decks 18420, 18421, 18423, 18457 and the early model Large Frame decks 48" 18048 and 18049-01-03, 54" 18070 and 18071.

The 32" and 38" Tube Frame decks don't share much of anything with the Large Frame decks, other than some common hardware such as nuts and bolts.

The real confusion comes into play when a part # has been superseded and only the new part # is printed in newer model manuals, even though it is still the same part as used on the older models. I'm hoping to help supersede part numbers in the database as time allows me.

Edit for clarity: I should note that the blade spindle pulleys ARE NOT interchangeable between the Tube Frame and Large Frame decks.

Edited by ClassicBolens, March 06, 2016 - 12:33 PM.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 4 others have said thanks

#7 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 12:50 PM

I'm hoping to help supersede part numbers in the database as time allows me.

When you are compiling supersede part numbers, you should be aware that I am trying to put together a parts database for both tractors and attachments that covers at least from the end of WW II to the point Gardenway bought out what was left of Bolens.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#8 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Guys,

My immediate need is a 48" deck on my B/Iseki G152, which other than brackets and wheels, seems very close to some of the LF decks. 

Yes, once summer gets here and I dig into it, I'll check the parts books to see if any numbers match.

But sometimes a deck shows up on c-list and it gets me wondering.

Dan

Edited by DL-North, March 06, 2016 - 01:19 PM.

#9 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • 950 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 01:57 PM

The parts for the diesel deck (likely model 17350) use the newer spindle parts commonly found on the XL, Q, ST, 5000, DuraTrac Series machines. Nothing much will be interchangeable from the old tubeframe and early large frame mower decks.
Other than mounting brackets and gearbox rotation, it is very similar to the models 19211 48" used on the QT tractors and the 50048S 48" deck from the 5000 series.

The nice thing with these "newer style" decks, most parts are readily available.
  • blackjackjakexxix and DL-North have said thanks

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 02:23 PM

Unless he has an early g152 that has the 48" 1349 deck under it.
  • ClassicBolens and DL-North have said thanks

#11 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • 950 Thanks
  • 378 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 02:40 PM

Unless he has an early g152 that has the 48" 1349 deck under it.

I knew I forgot something. Fortunately it also shares many of the same parts as the 17350.
  • LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#12 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • 50 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 03:29 PM

Again, thanks guys,

I have the 3 cyl version, I assume it's later, but haven't yet dug into the engine S/N, I believe the tractor S/N plate is missing.

Dan

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 03:35 PM

If the exhaust exits out the left, (seated) the original deck would of been a later series deck.
  • DL-North said thank you

#14 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 330 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 11:03 PM

As I recall, the published parts price lists had information on superseded parts.  I think it would say "Use xxxxxxxx" on the "old" part price line when a new part number was available.  On the "new" part price line, there was no mention of what part(s) it replaced.